BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just a quick update: Spoke with my BMW dealer, and I'm going to have them take a look at it on Tuesday - first appointment I could get. I'll follow up once they have a look, and let everyone know what happened. Thanks for all the responses and helping me figure this out.
Here in Los Angeles, I found the fuel cap interferes with the vapor capture boot from the gas pump. The boot is too big to easily fit around the gas cap. This pushes the tank's gas cap back, and it is a pain to fiddle around the cap to prevent the cap hinge from hyper extending. Every time I refuel, I fuss with this issue, and I am considering a monza cap to eliminate this constant problem. Great post-eye opener.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey all!

New R Nine T Pure owner here... loving the bike so far. Quick question: Found this a bit odd, but found two little metal bits (pieces) around the rim of my fuel tank that look like they'd broken off a hinge or something.

Here's a photo:

View attachment 134569

Any idea what this could be? The way I found them: when I was putting fuel into the bike, I saw them sitting on the red colored rim of the tank once I opened up the fuel tank to insert the gas pump.

Any thoughts or tips greatly appreciated!
I found the same in mine 2020 R9T/5 was also wondering where those pieces came from.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Here in Los Angeles, I found the fuel cap interferes with the vapor capture boot from the gas pump. The boot is too big to easily fit around the gas cap. This pushes the tank's gas cap back, and it is a pain to fiddle around the cap to prevent the cap hinge from hyper extending. Every time I refuel, I fuss with this issue, and I am considering a monza cap to eliminate this constant problem. Great post-eye opener.
an easy alternative:

There are a number of similar products out there.

·
Registered
2018 R Nine T Racer
265 Posts
What a crap solution , that vapor capture boot i mean. Does this even have any effect at all?

·
Registered
2020 R nineT Pure
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Hey all! Just an update: The hinge stoppers had indeed broken off the base. Thanks all for the feedback and helping debug this. I took the bike by my local BMW dealer and they replaced the entire cap system, and it was covered under warranty, thankfully. All in, it would have been around $300 to replace otherwise.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2021 R9T Pure
7 Posts
Second fill up around 260 miles on the 2021 purchased last weekend with the same result. These hinge stops are so small it makes me wonder how many bikes are out there running around with these two bits inside their tanks. I’ll be ringing the dealer tomorrow morning.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Wood
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2020 R nineT Pure
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Yip! Same issue. That should be covered with your warranty. In California the gas pumps have collars on them, so it's more challenging to fill up the tank. Hopefully your dealer will be have the part in stock, so the repair won't take too long. Enjoy the bike!

Second fill up around 260 miles on the 2021 purchased last weekend with the same result. These hinge stops are so small it makes me wonder how many bikes are out there running around with these two bits inside their tanks. I’ll be ringing the dealer tomorrow morning. View attachment 140969 View attachment 140971

·
Registered
2020 R nineT Scrambler
17 Posts
Tank lid hinge corners broken off

Hi there,
As I was reviewing bits and pieces of my "project" Scrambler, I stumbled upon two metal pieces under the tank lid. No pun intended.
Tire Wheel Eye Automotive tire Automotive lighting

I looked around, found nothing suspicious. And initially I thought that the previous owner kept those pieces here as a safe place, which I found odd, but who knows, maybe he did not have any pockets to keep them in. I looked and looked, and found nothing outside on the bike they could be attached to. Then I thought, ok, if those pieces are not from outside, they must be from inside. And then I found that the corners of the tank lid are broken off.
Automotive tire Rim Audio equipment Alloy wheel Steering wheel

Automotive tire Reflex camera Camera lens Mirrorless interchangeable-lens camera Audio equipment

I can't imagine how did it happen, and also whether I need to put the tank lid replacement on my wish list of items to replace. The lid stays in place, no wobbling or anything. Sharing it here, in case anyone can suggest next steps.

For the replacement, I think I need just the aluminum inner piece, but I don't know if that can be sourced. The tech docs specify the complete lid.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Font Clock Auto part

·
Registered
21 R9T
178 Posts
Might be an over zealous person with a fuel can and was leaning on it. How do you feel about a monza cap, kill two birds they say?

·
Registered
2020 R nineT Scrambler
17 Posts
Could be! I like the simplicity and the brushed aluminum feel of the OEM one. It resonates well with other bike parts. While the bike is non-operational yet, I'm still visiting it in the garage at least once a day :D

·
Registered
2020 R nineT Scrambler
17 Posts
You should be happy they ended up there and not in the tank itself.
That is true. And since I'm not the original bike owner, I don't know what else was "stored" there and might have ended up in the tank :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2020, RnineT/5
14 Posts
I have been waiting over six months for a warranty replacement gas cap. The red plastic piece next to the area you’ve circled broke on mine. BMW will only provide a complete assembly to the tune of $375 CAD.

Camera lens Automotive tire Camera accessory Automotive design Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2020 R nineT Scrambler
17 Posts
I'm glad I was not the only one with the issue. Does the replacement lid have a different shape/material?

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
Seems you could scan it and 3D print a replacement, or for that matter for that much $$$ I’ll bet there’s a 3D metal machine you could pay to make that in metal instead of plastic …. Research metal printing on the net …. That’s a negative aspect about BMW … the sale price of the bike is just short of robbery and the parts and pieces are completely over priced, but what are you going to do ?…. Me I’m going to make my own and keep my money in my pocket. …….Blitz

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
You could also try turning the gas cap assembly 180 degrees so that you don't have to jamb the fuel filler nozzle in between the handlebars and the open cap.
I know it’s two years old but that idea is golden …. Brilliant idea ! 👍🏻 …..Blitz

·
Registered
2020 R nineT Scrambler
17 Posts
Seems you could scan it and 3D print a replacement, or for that matter for that much $$$ I’ll bet there’s a 3D metal machine you could pay to make that in metal instead of plastic …. Research metal printing on the net …. That’s a negative aspect about BMW … the sale price of the bike is just short of robbery and the parts and pieces are completely over priced, but what are you going to do ?…. Me I’m going to make my own and keep my money in my pocket. …….Blitz
Those pieces are breaking off from an aluminum part, not plastic.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts