BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is pretty much the same as the instrument cluster wiring loom failure.
When I read that thread back in 2018, I used the spiral wrapping one uses to neaten up the TV/Radio cables, to help protect the instrument cluster wiring loom.

Now, I see my right indicator is having the same problem.
Going straight, if I put the right indicator on, there is no problem.
If the right indicator is on and I turn right, I get the lamp error, indicator blinks faster and front right indicator does not work.

For those of you that don't know, the front indicators for the UGS are attached to the forks and not the radiator.
Those wires from under the fuel tank up to the indicators are just the right length.
Turning to the left, the right indicator wires are a little too tight for my liking.

Bike is in for a suspension upgrade.
When I get it back, I will see what the wiring looks like.
Maybe extend the wires and use more of that spiral stuff.

So just a heads up to the UGS guys, check the wiring on the front indicators.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My right front indicator has just done exactly the same. Intermittent fault code on the instrument panel. A close inspection shows a crimp in the wires leading to that indicator.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had the same issue on my UGS, right side indicator wire was tight and then snapped. Easily sorted, but a poor implementation.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Thank you for the warning; will check tomorrow instantly.

Although.. my bike is still 23 months in warranty; (premium occasion).. and got a very nice dealer.
Had some minor fog in the headlight and Odometer.. They are going to replace both complete units (expensive joke).. but they want it done in the correct way intead of trying out different parts etc.

·
Registered
146 Posts
To revive this, I'd like to sort mine out. The BMW microfiche shows the front indicators on a small run of cable back to a connector somewhere. Anybody know where the connector is located? I'd like to remove the right side indicator, do a circuit test and replace the section of damaged cable but to do that I need to know where the far end is connected. Many thanks

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
4,312 Posts
Anybody know where the connector is located?
Just inside the side of the frame behind the headstock under the front of the tank.

·
Registered
194 Posts
To add to this thread.. if you can: check the cable going to the rear light.
I mounted a different fender on my bike; and was extending this cable.. on one spot it was completely pushed flat and even pierced through the outer layer by the way it was mounted. No clue what they were thinking at BMW while connecting this cable.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Cheers guys, sorted. Now indicator works but bike won't start. Turns over fine but won't fire at all. No fault warnings on dash, motoscan not throwing anything obvious up. I removed tank to change air filter at same time so I'll take it back off to make sure I haven't accidentally disconnected anything

1 - 9 of 9 Posts