BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
R NineT Pure - 2017
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I did a few mods during lockdown / working from home and I’m mega pleased with the outcome.
First up was to get rid of all the silver, I stripped the bike right back of all the silver bars,clamps, fork crowns, steering damper mount, rear sets etc etc. and had it all anodised black.
next up was the air intake cover and engine covers - I had these liquid coated by a local firm that does a load of British Superbike team stuff.

Really chuffed with how that came out - I’m unsure as to why BMW don’t do a blacked out version tbh.
Whilst the bike was stripped for refinishing I bought a Daedalus tail tidy and some M-Part blaze indicators to really tidy up the rear end. Looks amazing now. One big part of my custom plan was to really expose the single sided swingarm, it’s such a big part of the BMW look that I thought it an injustice to hide it away behind an exhaust! I finally found the Arrow Pro Race high level can, I ordered it direct from Italy and sourced a Scrambler sun frame in order for the correct mounting position. It looks fantastic and sounds great. I was well chuffed with it.

Unfortunately I suffer from tinnitus and it’s been getting steadily worse over the past couple of years - I’ve been advised by the quack to stop riding if I want to retain current levels of hearing so it is with great regret that I’m forced to moved the bike on 😢. I’m pretty sure it’s the wind / vibration of wearing the helmet that makes it worse so sadly I think my riding days are coming to an end.
It’s been a total blast with the R9T, I’ve gone from not being able to get on with it, to loving it, to doing all the above and REALLY loving it, to sadly having to part. I’m not sure what I’ll do to get my fix now but I’ll find something.

Cheers all!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey, I have tinnitus, I had custom fit ear plugs made up, they fit extremely well, and keep the noise levels acceptable to prevent hearing damage. I think I’d look to alternatives before just selling the bike. The Doctor isn’t wrong, but a good quality full face helmet and ear plugs should be more than adequate to prevent any further damage

·
Administrator
11,349 Posts
I was going to say exactly with @IslandFalconer just did! A really good set of earplugs might just make the difference, but if you do decide to sell that lovely bike I wish you well. At the end of the day it's your decision, you have to do what you feel is right and your health does come first.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Pure
1,107 Posts
I'll repeat the earplug suggestion. I have 50% hearing loss in my right ear due to being an unwise young man long ago. Not wanting to further damage my hearing, I use earplugs when I ride, and all subsequent hearing tests show no further degradation.

But, I do wish you well whatever your decision.

·
Premium Member
18 Urban GS
31 Posts
I absolutely love the blacked out look. It looks amazing with your tank cover. I hope you are able to figure out the tinnitus so you can keep riding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts