BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Ducati Multistrada 950S
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Newbie question here: why some 2015 and 16 Nine-Ts currently for sale on the market have a price tag equal or higher than new bikes being offered?

I get the differences in the models, from Pure to Classic and Scrambler, but from my newbie eyes there's not see much sense on paying $11k on a 2015 with 8k miles vs the same $11k on a brand new Pure.

What am I missing?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am shopping for a NineT Classic and seeing the same thing. I have found new leftover bikes for similar prices as used bikes with 7k miles. There is a single used bike I have found that was priced like a used bike. Not sure if this is the same COVID inflation the used car market has seen as well.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I think it's mainly just a function of selling: you get to ask what you want for something, buyers get to offer what they are willing to pay. I believe a 2015 with 8k miles on it is overpriced at $11k and that brand new Pure at the same price is a good deal. If I were interested in the 2015 I'd probably be aiming for $9k or so.

·
Registered
R1200 NineT Urban GS
419 Posts
Bear also in mind that NineT owners tend to spend a lot of money for customisation (how do I know...?) and they pretend to get each and every penny spent on that... even the ones they shouldn't have spent...

:cool:

Reactions: Baloo

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
1,581 Posts
Some people overvalue their bikes, especially if it has some decent mods. I have tended to do a lot of research, then make an offer below market value but not so far below as to be insulting, and then negotiate and reasonable price for both of us.

Also, right now you may find dealers sticking to their guns on price more on new and used bikes on the sales floor, as supply and demand has shifted with COVID impacting delivery of new bikes.

·
Registered
2011 R1200RT - 2015 RNineT
244 Posts
Don't forget to take into account the "Spousal Pressure Effect" on pricing, it works like this:

Wife: You need to sell that motorcycle that is just sitting in the garage.
Husband: Okay dear, I will put it on the internet for sale today, so he lists it high.
Wife: Has anyone called about that motorcycle? No dear, noone is interested....

If you are interested in a bike make an offer based on what you think it's worth and be ready to move if a deal comes together.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
The thread title does not reflect what's happening here in the UK.

I've seen one owner '14 or '15 plate original RnineT Roadsters with only a few hundred miles on them advertised in MCN for as little as just under £8k.

Just checked ebay......most models are around the £8K mark.......one '17 Racer with 5k showing is under £7k, a '15 RnineT Roadster is under £6k...though this one is showing 26,500 miles!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Funny, but of the ones in @fipenna 's list, the 2020 listed by a dealer looks like the most reasonable.

Reactions: Baloo

·
Registered
Ducati Multistrada 950S
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Funny, but of the ones in @fipenna 's list, the 2020 listed by a dealer looks like the most reasonable.
Indeed, exactly my point. Why go for a 2015 with 8k miles if one can have a brand new for less?

Initially I though it could be due to a dramatic change in specs pre 2017, but by exploring this forum (great source of information btw) the changes appear to be not so significant.... prices seem to be driven by emotions vs reason, like people when put their house for sale at a higher than market price "because I love the house, raised my kids here, we were very happy".....

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Talked to a couple of bike dealers who have told me business is booming thanks to COVID. Especially the used market as buyers are keeping their potential trade-in’s. Makes sense if you still have a job and aren’t spending money on vacations and dining out.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Brand new Pures are cheaper than used Classics and Scramblers. I would look on Cycle Trader you can find some great deals on R Nine T. I bought my used 2016 R Nine T Classic with 5K miles from an Arizona dealer and had it shipped to California. First time buying a bike sight unseen and over the internet. Overall, the transaction went smoothly and I'm very happy with the bike. I took me a little over a month looking on Cycle Trader everyday before I found my bike.

·
Registered
31 Posts
There are Gems out there. I got my 2015 Classic (10.2k miles) in San Diego for 8200$. The previous owner was meticulous and gave me every service record for everything done to the bike. It came with a lot of extra goodies. Loving my Rizoma mirrors.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I agree with the assumption that people want full retail value for aftermarket parts. I’m wanting an aluminum tank on a standard, that’s also an option that pushes the price up. I’ll be patient and eventually find a fair deal for what I want.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Bought my 2014 Classic for $8500 in 2017 with 2,400 miles on it. Owner threw in a nearly new Shoei GT Air helmet in exactly my size ($500 helmet). So yeah....I've seen good deals on used BMWs around here. Most BMWs can be bought for just over 1/2 original MSRP once they are 4-5 years old and many with very low mileage.

·
Administrator
12,778 Posts
@nervous perhaps it'd be better to put a tentative post in the Marketplace for this, mate?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Also, remember that Cycletrader is not an aggregating service. Many bikes listed elsewhere (eg. Craigslist) aren’t listed there.

·
Registered
160 Posts
As we accelerate towards October and what for many riders is the end of what has been a rather restricted (coronavirus) riding season - I do wonder about where the market value of pre-owned bikes is heading? After hearing and reading about the strength of residual values and 'top dollar' pricing for second-hand bikes, I'm very aware that dealers are now sitting with showrooms full of stock that might now be sitting there until Spring 2021 - and someone is going to be financing all that unsold stock.

One of the reasons that I bought a new R9T was the compelling deal that I received for my 'old bike' - again the story was - there was huge market demand and residual values were holding up very well. Fast forward a couple of months and I can still see my 'old bike' still sitting in a dealer's showroom unsold. To my eyes, the price is so close to a new bike that I'm left wondering if it will sit there for another 6 months and then get heavily discounted in April 2021? Meanwhile the dealer is having to finance all the capital that's tied up in unsold stock and I'm really not sure what is happening in the UK bike retail market - then throw in the fact that bikes are usually a non-essential purchase (toys), the economy is heading into a dark abyss and a lot of folk will be wondering if they will have a job/income in the run up to Christmas.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts