BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
'20 r-nine-t/5
81 Posts
This has been an interesting year for sure with Covid. Here in Chicago, both new and used stock seems to be at an all-time low at many of the dealers that I frequent. It is odd seeing the used bike sections of dealers that are usually full are now a fraction of the number of bikes. I am glad that I picked up my /5 earlier this year and got to enjoy it this season - albeit not as much as I would have liked. I pretty much say that towards the end of every riding season, but this year I really mean it.

·
Registered
2016 RNineT
81 Posts
This has been bothering me as I search for an RNineT. “Used” bikes are more than new ones. A 2020 classic is almost 16k, yet a 2021/2 scrambler is 13-14k. I bring this up, and the ‘Dealers’ say the prices are No-haggle or that ‘new bikes have 2k in fees’ etc. They will knock off 1k for a ‘demo’ but then overcharge for ‘used’.. /boggle

Yet when I try to sell them a bike or trade-in they want to give you the lowest possible value. I get that its a business, but it just seems very lopsided. Is this just the “rich people buy euro bikes”, luxury goods mindset? So they see BMW customers as someone to take advantage of?

·
Registered
126 Posts
This has been bothering me as I search for an RNineT. “Used” bikes are more than new ones. A 2020 classic is almost 16k, yet a 2021/2 scrambler is 13-14k. I bring this up, and the ‘Dealers’ say the prices are No-haggle or that ‘new bikes have 2k in fees’ etc. They will knock off 1k for a ‘demo’ but then overcharge for ‘used’.. /boggle

Yet when I try to sell them a bike or trade-in they want to give you the lowest possible value. I get that its a business, but it just seems very lopsided. Is this just the “rich people buy euro bikes”, luxury goods mindset? So they see BMW customers as someone to take advantage of?
Well a classic has a base price that is $2500 more than a Scrambler. Stands to reason it would command more used……

The dealer is not trading your bike for his or her personal enjoyment. It’s a convenience thing, ride in ride out! Otherwise you can place an ad and hope for the best.

Hope you find something….

·
Registered
R9teees
420 Posts
Well a classic has a base price that is $2500 more than a Scrambler. Stands to reason it would command more used……

The dealer is not trading your bike for his or her personal enjoyment. It’s a convenience thing, ride in ride out! Otherwise you can place an ad and hope for the best.

I agree with you. The classic that was once referred to as the standard is sort of misleading. This bike has better components than any of the others that justifies the higher base price. It’s the closest thing to a track bike that has been produced for the R9T series in my opinion. Finding a good deal on a used one It’s really hit and miss. There’s pretty good financing out there nowadays.Finding an engineer, pilot or physician that is selling can be a good strategy for finding a used bike. Those guys generally keep their bike in great condition and the mods they do are for the most part well thought out and a quality install. I’ve noticed that they undervalue their bikes to speed up the selling process. The reality is that any mod I did to the bike Mainly holds value in my mind. It Is also a great way to rationalize why I “need” this or that bike. I did some crazy math in my head to justify my last purchase. LOL

·
Registered
2016 RNineT
81 Posts

Thanks, those are valid points, and I often forget the very high cost of convenience.

I think most of my frustration comes from the disparity between buyer/seller new/used prices etc. I’m older and of the mindset to NEVER pay MSRP on vehicles/bikes. You always got it for under sticker. But todays market is different and so heavily driven by advertising/hype, socials/fomo, and customization, that the customer no longer has the leverage or power to negotiate that we used to.

While at the other end, I know personally that I have placed unrealistic value on my current bike. Sentimental and emotional value has $0 resale value sadly 🤣

TL;DR I’m impatient and cheap and don’t want to change 🤣🤣. I’m glad I joined this community and get to have these discussions though, I just need to adjust my viewpoint a bit. Thanks!

·
Registered
2016 RNineT
81 Posts
I agree with you. The classic that was once referred to as the standard is sort of misleading. This bike has better components than any of the others that justifies the higher base price. It’s the closest thing to a track bike that has been produced for the R9T series in my opinion. Finding a good deal on a used one It’s really hit and miss. There’s pretty good financing out there nowadays.Finding an engineer, pilot or physician that is selling can be a good strategy for finding a used bike. Those guys generally keep their bike in great condition and the mods they do are for the most part well thought out and a quality install. I’ve noticed that they undervalue their bikes to speed up the selling process. The reality is that any mod I did to the bike Mainly holds value in my mind. It Is also a great way to rationalize why I “need” this or that bike. I did some crazy math in my head to justify my last purchase. LOL
I didn’t realize the differences in the two models was that significant, so that makes a lot more sense now.

Knowing myself and how I am about purchases etc. I’ll prob end up ordering a 2022 exactly how I want, since I can’t find any 2021’s that have the gold rims. I’m just impatient since I’ve made the decision, now its just the $$ part I have to reconcile against my increasing desire.

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
1,608 Posts
We're in a very different market environment from normal. In my 30 years as an adult, I don't think I've ever seen such a huge seller's market for cars and motorcycles. Dealers have few new cars to sell, and used cars are selling for as much or more than they did when they were brand new. It's crazy. I'm just glad I'm not in the market for a new or used car or motorcycle right now. But if I were I'd probably just bike the bullet and buy new, just to feel like I didn't get ripped off by insanely inflated pricing on a used vehicle. I'm no economist or prognosticator, but I think this bubble is going to burst sooner or later, and the people who overpaid for their used cars are going to regret it.

I think @Baloo 's advice is solid. If you decide to keep looking, you'll find the right bike at a decent price. Sometimes it just takes time and patience. I'm not great at patience either, but I'll make myself wait when necessary. While bike shopping last year (before I bought my R9T Pure), I checked out and passed on several bikes that would have been fine for long-term ownership. Each time I had a reason or two, but for me it was mostly about finding the right bike instead of the best deal. In the end, I think I got both! ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just got my 2014 with 2800miles on the odometer for 8,800.

It also had a bunch of rizoma goodies installed. Rearsets, tail tidy, club lights, spy mirrors and also a Remus Exhaust with booster plug.

The original owner bought it from new and then me. Bought during the peak of summer aswell.

Deals can definitely be found!

·
Registered
R9teees
420 Posts
All these guys are speaking the truth. There are definitely deals to be had you just have to be patient and ready to jump. Any savings I seem to clear when buying a used bike always gets soaked up in the purchase of upgraded suspension. Some people sell bikes that they’ve already improved the suspension for very little (if any)markup. If you happen to stumble upon one of these All the better. It’s a hell of a lot cheaper two swap springs on the rear suspension then it is to buy a brand new one. There will always be some new bell or whistle that makes you come back for more.

·
Registered
2014 R NineT
32 Posts
When looking for my bike it seemed the real value came if you wanted some mods that were already done. Some people were wanting money back out for mods at a nearly 1:1 ratio which almost never happens, but on my particular bike paid what I think would have been fair for it stock, but got $5k or so of parts I wanted for free. Came with all the stock bits too.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Anyone here yet sold their older model for a 21 given the uptick in used prices? Seems like a cheap way to get all the new features

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Checked my NADA book value after my crash. Worth more now stock then when I bought in May ‘19 with a bunch of upgrades. Crazy times.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts