BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this puig hugger would only fit without useing the spacer provided. is there something different with the 2019 paralever?

·
Registered
Urban G/S
17 Posts
this puig hugger would only fit without useing the spacer provided. is there something different with the 2019 paralever?
I had exactly the same thing on my 2019 Urban, with the spacer in the position indicated on the instructions the hole does not align correctly to allow the bolt to be inserted.

I have just moved the spacer to the 'outside' of the hugger bracket so the bolt length is still correct. Hope that make sense!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Unless there are differences in various R9Ts at the critical mounting points, I'm puzzled to know this, having recently fitted the PUIG hugger to my bike with no issues whatsoever (and not the first PUIG hugger I've had on earlier boxer twins). I also do not recall a 'spacer' being in my kit. Any pix available? There is a bush in the front mounting bolt hole, which allows some small degree of rotation of the hugger, but no spacer to the very best of my knowledge.. R9T Classic or Roadster, 2017...

The PUIG installation instructions and illustrations are OK, but a good knowledge of Spanglish does help.

·
Registered
Urban G/S
17 Posts
Unless there are differences in various R9Ts at the critical mounting points, I'm puzzled to know this, having recently fitted the PUIG hugger to my bike with no issues whatsoever (and not the first PUIG hugger I've had on earlier boxer twins). I also do not recall a 'spacer' being in my kit. Any pix available? There is a bush in the front mounting bolt hole, which allows some small degree of rotation of the hugger, but no spacer to the very best of my knowledge.. R9T Classic or Roadster, 2017...

The PUIG installation instructions and illustrations are OK, but a good knowledge of Spanglish does help.
The item 13 in the attached screenshot had to be moved to 'in-front' of the hugger bracket on my 2019 Urban.
When i tried to install it as shown the spacer caused the hugger to twist slightly and it wasn't possible to insert bolt 7

·
Registered
705 Posts
The item 13 in the attached screenshot had to be moved to 'in-front' of the hugger bracket on my 2019 Urban.
When i tried to install it as shown the spacer caused the hugger to twist slightly and it wasn't possible to insert bolt 7

View attachment 134457

I've just had a good long look at my own installation, and it appears exactly as in the PUIG illustration, rear spacer included (which I had forgotten all about) - and just to be sure I dug out my own copy of this PUIG documentation, which is identical, as would be expected. I remain puzzled at the 'twisting' you mention, but do keep an eye on that rear mounting point as over the years there have been reports of it cracking and breaking. This is said to be due to failure of the front mount to be allowed some very small degree of rotation - hence front bush #8 - to accommodate the shaft housing flexing at the rubber boot immediately below bolt #6... if that makes sense!

Reactions: The Hack

·
Registered
Urban G/S
17 Posts
I've just had a good long look at my own installation, and it appears exactly as in the PUIG illustration, rear spacer included (which I had forgotten all about) - and just to be sure I dug out my own copy of this PUIG documentation, which is identical, as would be expected. I remain puzzled at the 'twisting' you mention, but do keep an eye on that rear mounting point as over the years there have been reports of it cracking and breaking. This is said to be due to failure of the front mount to be allowed some very small degree of rotation - hence front bush #8 - to accommodate the shaft housing flexing at the rubber boot immediately below bolt #6... if that makes sense!
Makes perfect sense, I'll keep an eye on it thanks.

Will be very interested if this is the same issue the OP was mentioning on his 2019 model.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your help. I put the spacer in front rather than sandwiched between the rear bracket & caliper mount.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts