BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
221 - 240 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
2019 R NineT Cross wire spokes, Scrambler
73 Posts
The mounting kit showed up before the rev counter, so I went ahead and installed that on my ’17 UGS today. I went with the mounting kit that is listed in the Scrambler parts catalogue. Part number 77 53 8 389 483. This kit included the aluminum mounting bracket. As others have mentioned, there was a slight tension on the clutch cable when turned all the way to the right. I cut all of the zip ties holding the line to the frame from the triple tree back to the transmission. I think it was only 3 or 4 ties and that loosened it up enough that I can turn lock to lock with no issues. I put a couple zip ties back on loosely to keep the line in place. The wire for the rev counter was bundled under the right side of the tank and released with no problem. Fairly straight forward and easy install. Had to remove the fairing, but didn’t lift or remove the tank.

View attachment 140593

View attachment 140594

Nicely done group of posts. I was a bit hesitant about this expenditure, but ya‘all have built my confidence, and I’m ordering the parts.

thank you,
DC

·
Premium Member
2018 BMW R nineT
421 Posts
While browsing the Motorrad fische I noticed they offer two possible mounting brackets for use if you add the Rev Counter. The first one which is discussed in length here is plastic and flexes (46638558379), the second one is a cast aluminum piece and is painted black, and is pretty rigid (77318558093).

Both work interchangeably on the Pure, Scrambler, and UGS. I've just swapped my plastic bracket for the cast part, and will report back as soon as I can about its performance, which may be mid March - seeing we got a 13" pile of snow here last Thursday.
@Dauphinais, do you know if the cast part works also in a 2018 Classic? The part that shows in the fiche for my bike is the plastic part but I hate the vibration, particularly because it does detract from the legibility at higher speeds. It's difficult to know whether I'm doing 140 or 160km/h...

·
Super Moderator
2017 Pure
2,353 Posts
@Dauphinais, do you know if the cast part works also in a 2018 Classic? The part that shows in the fiche for my bike is the plastic part but I hate the vibration, particularly because it does detract from the legibility at higher speeds. It's difficult to know whether I'm doing 140 or 160km/h...
Unfortunately, it's only listed as fitting the Pure & the Scrambler.

But one thing for sure, I couldn't stand the vibration, so I was going to do something myself before I found this part (77318558093).

·
Premium Member
2018 BMW R nineT
421 Posts
Unfortunately, it's only listed as fitting the Pure & the Scrambler.

But one thing for sure, I couldn't stand the vibration, so I was going to do something myself before I found this part (77318558093).
I know, I know, it's only shown as an accessory for the Pure/Scrambler but since the Classic's 46638558379 seems to fit in the Pure/Scrambler (same screw hole locations and distances), I'm wondering if 77318558093 would also fit the Classic.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Pure
2,353 Posts
If the 46638558379 fits, then the 77318558093 will fit, same bolt pattern. I've had them both on my bike. It's a $90 purchase, but one of my best add ons.

·
Registered
2019 R NineT Cross wire spokes, Scrambler
73 Posts
Ray, I'd approach this three ways. Quickest, go to realoem.com and enter the last 7 digits of the VIN. This 'should' bring up your specific 'bike' including the production date. Then go "browse" the parts listings. If unfamiliar with BMW's methodology... IE "grouping" of parts my major assemblies, you may have to look in several groups.

Second, Once you have a part number, Google the part number without dashes. Google will bring up a few dozen BMW dealer's on-line price listing. Read the screen carefully, looking for model fitment details. Its at the 9 o'clock on the page.

Third: go to KFM web site in Germany. If necessary, learn to speak German or in the upper right switch the language to whatever... Enter the part number at KFM or ask them for price and availability AND model fitment..

Stay safe,
Dick Casey

·
Registered
2017 Prambler
473 Posts
I did the rev counter add on to my 2017 Pure in the spring of 2019. After reading this thread and many of you guys going first. When I went to the dealer to order the parts (back when I still trusted my dealer), BMW had already put together a "kit" for folks wanting to add the tach. The kit included the aluminum bracket. I was not aware there was also a plastic bracket. So the kit I got from BMW had the aluminum bracket in it, instead of a plastic one. I'm relieved, as bouncing gauges is not something I'd like to encounter at 75mph.

Best,
-Tim

·
Premium Member
2018 BMW R nineT
421 Posts
Ray, I'd approach this three ways. Quickest, go to realoem.com and enter the last 7 digits of the VIN. This 'should' bring up your specific 'bike' including the production date. Then go "browse" the parts listings. If unfamiliar with BMW's methodology... IE "grouping" of parts my major assemblies, you may have to look in several groups.

Second, Once you have a part number, Google the part number without dashes. Google will bring up a few dozen BMW dealer's on-line price listing. Read the screen carefully, looking for model fitment details. Its at the 9 o'clock on the page.

Third: go to KFM web site in Germany. If necessary, learn to speak German or in the upper right switch the language to whatever... Enter the part number at KFM or ask them for price and availability AND model fitment..

Stay safe,
Dick Casey
Any of those approaches will yield the 77318558093 as not compatible (per BMW) with my bike which is not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for fitment possibility which is a totally different thing. I have Racer parts in my bike for example and they do fit perfectly but if I do what you say, they will show up as not compatible (per BMW) ;)

You can even graft the whole front end of a Classic onto a Pure. That's not compatible (per BMW) but it will fit :cool:

·
Super Moderator
2017 Pure
2,353 Posts
Any of those approaches will yield the 77318558093 as not compatible (per BMW) with my bike which is not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for fitment possibility which is a totally different thing. I have Racer parts in my bike for example and they do fit perfectly but if I do what you say, they will show up as not compatible (per BMW) ;)

You can even graft the whole front end of a Classic onto a Pure. That's not compatible (per BMW) but it will fit :cool:
I think you’ll be fine.

·
Registered
2019 Classic
25 Posts
I know, I know, it's only shown as an accessory for the Pure/Scrambler but since the Classic's 46638558379 seems to fit in the Pure/Scrambler (same screw hole locations and distances), I'm wondering if 77318558093 would also fit the Classic.
laalves, if you can wait a couple weeks I'll let you know for certain as I've just ordered the 77318558093 metal bracket with hope of fitting to my 2019 Classic.

Reactions: laalves

·
Registered
124 Posts
That's great! I'm quite interested in your conclusions.
Hi, my personal experience with the twin instrument mounting bracket is that there are at least three versions.
The Racer has a twin plastic bracket that only fits the Racer due to the mounting hole pattern being unique to the Racer top triple tree.
The "Classic" has a twin plastic bracket from the factory which will also fit the pure, scrambler & UGS top triple tree with regards to mount hole pattern but is at a slightly different viewing angle which may not suit.
The "Tacho Kit" alloy bracket will fit the pure, scrambler & UGS when installing the tacho and appears to be the BMW offered solution when installing the additional instrument.
The addition of the tacho to the pure may also need the "classic" throttle cable, front brake line & clutch line due to the banjo ends being a slightly different angle and overall hose / cable lengths depending on what your pure came out the factory with as it is year of manufacture dependant. I used these parts to mount the pure top triple tree to my racer and have no shortness of cables / hoses sometimes reported when fitting the tacho.
Not sure if any of the cables / hoses need replaced on the scrambler or UGS when adding the tacho to these models.
One interesting point to note is that the part number appears to be on the front brake & clutch hoses so can be useful to see what is currently installed on your bike if having hose routing / length issues.

·
Registered
2019 Classic
25 Posts
R9T Classic with 77318558093 metal bracket.

That's great! I'm quite interested in your conclusions.
Its done. No issue fitting as expected, all the bolts line up perfectly. Cables are fine, as Classic already had both dials.

Heres a quick comparison of the angle of the dials.

The factory bracket has 'cleaner' lines for sure. This could be hidden behind a windshield. In my case I don't much mind the difference, tho I might consider moving the headlight up as I think would look good on the style of my bike.

I cannot comment on if it solves the dial wobbles at speed as I've not had time to get out, but I would imagine so!

All the best.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Its done. No issue fitting as expected, all the bolts line up perfectly. Cables are fine, as Classic already had both dials.

Heres a quick comparison of the angle of the dials.

View attachment 142091

The factory bracket has 'cleaner' lines for sure. This could be hidden behind a windshield. In my case I don't much mind the difference, tho I might consider moving the headlight up as I think would look good on the style of my bike.

I cannot comment on if it solves the dial wobbles at speed as I've not had time to get out, but I would imagine so!

All the best.
Hi, great to see the detailed difference in the bracket when fitted.

·
Registered
2019 Classic
25 Posts
Great! Any chance of front photos just check how it looks like from that angle?

Here you go. I think the still images make it look worse to be honest. In real life, moving around the bike the difference is hardly noticeable unless I focus on it as its very dependant on the angle you look from. Tho my bike is kinda industrial looking, so maybe it works in favour of hiding it. These images were taken from eye-level 5'8" / 173cm.

·
Registered
124 Posts
View attachment 142141

Here you go. I think the still images make it look worse to be honest. In real life, moving around the bike the difference is hardly noticeable unless I focus on it as its very dependant on the angle you look from. Tho my bike is kinda industrial looking, so maybe it works in favour of hiding it. These images were taken from eye-level 5'8" / 173cm.
Looks great to me plus you will have the added bonus of not having the control cables / hoses rubbing the headlight shell.

·
Registered
2017 R9T Pure
21 Posts
Hi everyone,

Happy to report that I have just successfully installed the vaunted rev counter! 💪

No issues with cable length at all on my 2017 Pure and thanks to the previous posts in this thread I was convinced DIY was the way to go... thanks y'all!

I did order from KFM (still the best price) and I would suggest the following process to avoid fiddling with part numbers. I have the benefit that German is my native language but the EN version of the website works just fine. Select your model first and then simply click through the results. Didn't take me long to browse 62 products and I had the peace of mind to receive the right installation kit with my rev counter. And I might add that KFM estimated a wait time of 4 to 5 weeks when I ordered on April 9th, but the goods were delivered to my doorstep in the US on April 18. So they clearly underpromised and overdelivered.

Reading earlier posts, I was curious about the placement of the instruments. Will the double set-up sit in the same place? "On paper" the new metal bracket from the KFM kit is a little taller than the original plastic bracket. But the difference is so small, that I really couldn't tell once everything was installed. The kit comes with 2 spacers, which would lower the double bracket, but I did not use them, because you would need 4.

Lastly, I want to point out the different methods used to route the cables to the instruments. The single channel for the old bracket utilizes a metal clam to keep the cable in place, whereas for the new bracket you need to supply your own small-sized zip ties (Luckily, I had a package of 4" ties lying around. Plus 1 larger zip tie to secure the newly freed rev counter cable to the frame again.)

You have seen it before, but here is the end product again:

·
Read Only
BMW R NineT Urban GS
45 Posts
I know i am probably 3 years late on this topic. I bought the bike ( 2020 Turban GS ) last week and installed the rev counter today.
Like many others i found the clutch line to be very tight after the twin bracket took the extra space.
So i lifted the tank and moved the line around one inch towards the front of the bike.
I didn´t have to cut any ties. But i did add one extra just for extra safety. Now there is plenty of movement for the clutch line.

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 BMW R Nine T Pure
37 Posts
I'm curious if anyone else has experienced my issue. I just installed the tach on my 2021 Pure. Install was simple thanks to the install guide. Everything seems to function except the engine temp. It does not indicate any temps, just c when I cold start then eventually c f ä (see photo)

221 - 240 of 270 Posts