BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
241 - 260 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm curious if anyone else has experienced my issue. I just installed the tach on my 2021 Pure. Install was simple thanks to the install guide. Everything seems to function except the engine temp. It does not indicate any temps, just c when I cold start then eventually c f ä (see photo) View attachment 143262
I am guessing this is the problem when you installed the old year model rev counter.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Pure
2,353 Posts
Have you guy's seen these. DKdesign x Koso RnineT LCD Multi- Function Meter | DKdesign Accessories
A guy on advrider installed one . It takes the place of both gauges.

Why yes, we have.

There was also a group buy a while back, and most folks seem pretty pleased with their new gauge.

·
Registered
2017 BMW R Nine T (Scrambler)
16 Posts
Does anyone know the part number for the stock Speedo holder? I don’t like the dual set up with the tachometer (bought bike used) and I’d like the simple and clean set up. Looking at the bike I think I need the single cup but not sure where to find it. Thanks!

·
Registered
153 Posts

·
Registered
2021 BMW R Nine T Pure
37 Posts
Hello all! I wanted to add some information for adding the rev counter. There is a new part number for the 2021 (and assuming onward) rev counter. The previous models part number (62118564506) will install, however the engine temperature does not display. For the 2021 model, locate and order part number 62111691265. Annoyingly, the engine temp is still just bars and not a numerical temperature. But this was how it was with just the speedo.

Cheers and happy riding!

·
Registered
Yamaha Fazer
13 Posts
Hello all! I wanted to add some information for adding the rev counter. There is a new part number for the 2021 (and assuming onward) rev counter. The previous models part number (62118564506) will install, however the engine temperature does not display. For the 2021 model, locate and order part number 62111691265. Annoyingly, the engine temp is still just bars and not a numerical temperature. But this was how it was with just the speedo.

Cheers and happy riding!
The engine temp does not show in Celsius on any model or config?

·
Registered
2021 BMW R Nine T Pure
37 Posts
The engine temp does not show in Celsius on any model or config?
I will check again as soon as I get home and also post pictures. But I believe it is still just hash marks to indicate temperature. This was how it showed with the single gauge set up also, but it is now moved to the tach screen.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Please read

I thought I'd offer an update on my install as I have noticed something potentially dangerous. I am taking advantage of Miles' picture to illustrate the point (thank you Miles).
As published on a different yet identical thread, I also have installed the rev counter on my Urban GS by ordering the list of parts to KFM.
While the installation was easy and I encountered zero problems, there is one important detail that I stupidly choose not pay attention to when I did the work. When you install the second instrument, the front brake line gets dangerously squeezed between the rev counter and the triple tree. Only three months of riding were enough to put a serious dent in the plastic sleeve that protects the stainless steel braided hose. Thank goodness I noticed it while I was washing the bike and immediately intervened. You have to remove all brake fluid form the reservoir, unscrew the hose and run it through the middle, triangle-shaped hole in the plastic instrument holder, right in-between the odometer and the rev counter. Since I was at it, I ran the throttle cable exactly the same way. Now there are no stress points on the brake line as it naturally flows in-between the instruments. To be perfectly honest, I noticed the potential risk when I installed the instrument, but got lazy as I did not want to deal with brake fluid, bleeding the brakes and all that. This could have costed me much more. Please don't be as stupid as I was and take the time to do it right. Brakes are kind of important ... :wacko:
Hi Dan219,
I’ve tried to install the rev counter on my UGS as well. But it won’t work…followed every step. do you have any suggestions? Mine is from 2018 don’t know if that has something to do with it..
Grtz

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
1,662 Posts
I installed an OEM rev counter on my 2020 Pure today. I'd purchased it from a fellow forum member a few weeks ago, but just got around to installing it today.

Installation went okay. Installing the new bracket was the hardest part, but only because I also installed a Dart Classic Flyscreen. I ended up having to remove the headlight from its mounting bolts, which the Dart instructions say to do anyway. (I was hoping to avoid that, but it did make it easier.)

The only part which made me a little nervous was the working with the cables inside the gauges' housing. I didn't want to leave the unprotected wires (that part near the end which isn't wrapped in the ribbed black rubber protective casing) outside the housing, so I wrapped them around the back of the gauges, between the gauges and the plastic pieces the cradle the gauges inside the housings. It even looks like there is a clip at the top of those cradles (for lack of a better term or descriptor) for the wiring.

After installing everything I checked for wiring slack, and there seems to be enough for both cables at both full handlebar lock both left and right. So I'm hoping I did this correctly. I'd love to hear others' input on this on how they dealt with the section of unprotected wiring that leads to the connectors which plug into the gauges. I may end up going back in there and checking it out, as I want to be sure I didn't put too much stress on those wires.

The rev counter works perfectly. So cool to see the tachometer working and the data the bike has been recording without me even knowing it! I'll probably keep the display on the voltmeter most of the time, but it's nice to have the other information now, too.

Also, I never hated NOT having a tachometer or gear indicator, but it would have been nice to have one of the two all along. There have been many times where I tried to click down and was already in 1st gear, or to click up on the highway but was already in 6th gear. Having the additional gauge will make riding this motorcycle easier.

·
Registered
2017 Urban GS
49 Posts
There is another way, Wunderlich have a little one that fits off to the side of the large single speedo on Urban.
Install is easy enough.
I've had mine for a year. The only problem has been the red line (which I painted on) slowly wearing off.
It was cheap, less than $100 I think. It has a back light and it does the cute little sweep to the end and back when you turn bike on.....
Install does require breaking into the loom at 2 points, but this was easy an 1 year on no problems.

Garth

·
Registered
3 Posts
After a LOT of persistence I was able to obtain a rev counter for the 2017 Pure. I am waiting on the dual bracket, the inside plastic alignment thing, screws, etc. These should arrive next week. I have already looked under the tank and the cable for the rev counter is there cable tied to the frame. Looks to be plug-and-play! I will let everyone know how the install goes when I get the parts to put it on as I know there are a lot of people who would like to add the rev counter.

Cheers!

El Jefe

MODERATOR EDIT*

If any member is going to be adding a rev counter please see the post linked to below. It appears if you do the install incorrectly there can be safety concerns re the brake lines.

Pure/Scrambler/UGS - Add Rev Counter!
"Pure/scranbler/UGS". Strange that my BMW dealer says BMW catalog does not include Urban GS among the bikes that these parts will fit (77538389483 and 62118564506). Does anyone know why?

·
Registered
3 Posts
2018 Urban GS Tachometer Installation

I would like to install a tachometer on my 2018 R Nine T Urban GS. I understand that the tach is part number 62118564506, and the cluster installation kit is part number 77538389483. I contacted KFM and a local BMW dealer who told me that these parts are listed for the Pure and the Scrambler, but NOT the Urban GS. Can Someone clarify?

·
Registered
R NineT Urban G/S
49 Posts
I would like to install a tachometer on my 2018 R Nine T Urban GS. I understand that the tach is part number 62118564506, and the cluster installation kit is part number 77538389483. I contacted KFM and a local BMW dealer who told me that these parts are listed for the Pure and the Scrambler, but NOT the Urban GS. Can Someone clarify?
I went with the mounting kit that is listed in the Scrambler parts catalogue. Part number 77538389483. This kit included the aluminum mounting bracket. I ordered the kit and tach from Max BMW (The guy on the phone was an asshole and argued with me about whether or not it would fit). As others have mentioned in the rev counter thread, there was a slight tension on the clutch cable when turned all the way to the right. I cut all of the zip ties holding the line to the frame from the triple tree back to the transmission. I think it was only 3 or 4 ties and that loosened it up enough that I can turn lock to lock with no issues. I put a couple zip ties back on loosely to keep the line in place. The wire for the rev counter was bundled under the right side of the tank and released with no problem. Fairly straight forward and easy install. Had to remove the fairing, but didn’t lift or remove the tank.

·
Registered
153 Posts
2018 Urban GS Tachometer Installation

Those are the numbers I used when I ordered from KFM. I have a 2018 Urban.

·
Registered
13 Posts
rpm cluster gauge

So I know one can buy a rev gauge that is plug and play, a used bike I test rode had it though the seller pointed out the mpg setting does not work on the rev gauge.

Has anyone gotten the mpg to work when one goes to that setting or are there issues getting it to display current speed?

·
Registered
124 Posts
The instantaneous & average mpg are both available on the 2017 models with rev counter.
Can't say I've seen current speed on the Rev counter but there is a trip average speed display available.
What model / year did you try that it didn't work?

241 - 260 of 270 Posts