BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
261 - 280 of 292 Posts

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
2,290 Posts
I added the OEM tachometer, aka rev counter to my 2020 R9T Pure in June. Everything works fine on mine. It displays both average fuel economy (mpg) and instant/current fuel economy. The tachometer unit doesn't show current speed, but does show average speed since the last reset. I've not reset it, but I can see doing so at the start of a trip or maybe a long dayride, mostly out of curiosity.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The instantaneous & average mpg are both available on the 2017 models with rev counter.
Can't say I've seen current speed on the Rev counter but there is a trip average speed display available.
What model / year did you try that it didn't work?
THe bike was a 2019 as I recall and when cycling through the rev gauge display settings there, I believe was one for mph though as I recall it had a circle with a line through it to the left of the reading (think it showed 34). Maybe it was a defective unit or a wire was not sending information to show mpg (say you are riding at 44 mph for example).

·
Registered
BMW R Nine T Classic 2020
202 Posts
Just when you thought you've seen the last installment of the 'Adding a Rev Counter Saga', here I go with a bit more to add.

I was a little irritated, when I noticed that my twin clock arrangement would bounce a bit while riding; and I'd rather have a firmer set-up for the gauges. I was going to create my own mounting bracket and have it milled from billet, but before going that route, I wanted to see what else was available (However, I still may make my own.)

While browsing the Motorrad fische I noticed they offer two possible mounting brackets for use if you add the Rev Counter. The first one which is discussed in length here is plastic and flexes (46638558379), the second one is a cast aluminum piece and is painted black, and is pretty rigid (77318558093).

Both work interchangeably on the Pure, Scrambler, and UGS. I've just swapped my plastic bracket for the cast part, and will report back as soon as I can about its performance, which may be mid March - seeing we got a 13" pile of snow here last Thursday.

They are slightly different in shape. The cast part (on the left) has a steeper angle, and is slightly shorter from where the bracket mounts to the bike - to where the individual buckets attach to the bracket.

View attachment 138825
Any idea if these fit a 2020 R Nine T classic the ones that comes with two clocks as standard?

·
Registered
118 Posts
THe bike was a 2019 as I recall and when cycling through the rev gauge display settings there, I believe was one for mph though as I recall it had a circle with a line through it to the left of the reading (think it showed 34). Maybe it was a defective unit or a wire was not sending information to show mpg (say you are riding at 44 mph for example).
Ø or is the symbol for an average value that's mostly used in German-speaking countries ("average" in German is Durchschnitt, directly translated as 'cut-through'), so that display means average speed (I assume just for that session of engine run time).

Or it's hobo code for "This is a good road”. Would love to believe BMW knows exactly what road I'm on & is letting me know if it's a good one since I paid $700 for a small piece of tech & I'm now homeless because I'm broke.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Finally ordered mine today. With all the confusion & possible compatibility differences in sub-models & years, I called & spoke to a human at my local dealer & talked to the guy that installs these regularly there. He said it's been a pain because over the years they package & price everything you need differently & it seems to change frequently. Got confirmation that for my 2019 Scrambler, the OEM parts & current pricing for what I need are:

62118564506 RPM Cluster (Rev Counter/Tachometer/Enter-Your-Colloquial-Name-For-It-Here) $490.00
77538389483 Set Attachment Double Inst. Cluster Black $169.00

The RPM Cluster fits 2016-2019 Pure/Racer/Scrambler & the Set Attachment (installation/mounting kit that incl. all other parts) fits 2016-2019 Pure/Scrambler. It's possible it's compatible with others but you'd have to confirm by VIN.

Went ahead & ordered with the dealer so I could have it in a couple of days instead of waiting 4-6 weeks (or more) for shipping to the US. It would've been about a $200 savings if I went with KFM but I got 20% off with BMW MOA membership & wasn't charged for shipping so out the door was $630. KFM total was $542.

Will come back & post my experience after install.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Finally ordered mine today. With all the confusion & possible compatibility differences in sub-models & years, I called & spoke to a human at my local dealer & talked to the guy that installs these regularly there. He said it's been a pain because over the years they package & price everything you need differently & it seems to change frequently. Got confirmation that for my 2019 Scrambler, the OEM parts & current pricing for what I need are:

62118564506 RPM Cluster (Rev Counter/Tachometer/Enter-Your-Colloquial-Name-For-It-Here) $490.00
77538389483 Set Attachment Double Inst. Cluster Black $169.00

The RPM Cluster fits 2016-2019 Pure/Racer/Scrambler & the Set Attachment (installation/mounting kit that incl. all other parts) fits 2016-2019 Pure/Scrambler. It's possible it's compatible with others but you'd have to confirm by VIN.

Went ahead & ordered with the dealer so I could have it in a couple of days instead of waiting 4-6 weeks (or more) for shipping to the US. It would've been about a $200 savings if I went with KFM but I got 20% off with BMW MOA membership & wasn't charged for shipping so out the door was $630. KFM total was $542.

Will come back & post my experience after install.
Picked it up Friday night, installed it without issue Saturday afternoon (~half an hour taking my time with it). Assuming your wiring hasn't been modified or otherwise tampered with, I can confirm the install is just as easy as most folks here claim. Completely plug & play, everything was included & cable length was perfect. The only thing I added was one additional ziptie up near the handlebars. Quite literally the quickest & easiest project I've done so far, and arguably the most useful.

Because I've had it on since a couple weeks after I got it, I totally forgot the black speedo bezel wasn't stock. My initial thought was to immediately order a matching one but might leave the RPM as-is, I kinda like the contrast.

Before:
Before

After
Speedometer Trip computer Odometer Vehicle Light

·
Registered
118 Posts
@ThatKasper

Were the parts shown under the the rev counter (item 1) included?

View attachment 149210
Sorry for the delay @deksawyer

No, those weren't in what I picked up. #1 in the diagram is the 62118564506 RPM Cluster (Rev Counter) & it comes solo. Parts 10-13 underneath it were not included and not needed for me...not even sure what they are for.
All the parts in the box on the left were included in 77538389483 Set Attachment Double Inst. Cluster

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm curious if anyone else has experienced my issue. I just installed the tach on my 2021 Pure. Install was simple thanks to the install guide. Everything seems to function except the engine temp. It does not indicate any temps, just c when I cold start then eventually c f ä (see photo) View attachment 143262
I installed rev p/n 62111691262 and my engine temp looks just like yours. Is what it's supposed to look like?? what the heck does it mean??

·
Registered
118 Posts
I installed rev p/n 62111691262 and my engine temp looks just like yours. Is what it's supposed to look like?? what the heck does it mean??
Interesting...in a "wtf??" way! Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't the engine temp remain on the speedo (left) LCD where it's always been? Is that where yours was originally? Do you still see eng temp on that one? I see your speedo is different than mine though, they must've made some changes since 2019 or they use a different one on the Scramblers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Interesting...in a "wtf??" way! Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't the engine temp remain on the speedo (left) LCD where it's always been? Is that where yours was originally? Do you still see eng temp on that one? I see your speedo is different than mine though, they must've made some changes since 2019 or they use a different one on the Scramblers.
So my Scramble (2021) never had engine temp on the speedo. Not sure what is used on other models

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just talked with the dealer and they tell me that they have to educate the bike so the temp indicator will work. Sure would have been nice for them to tell me that when I bought the parts! UGH

Hey Goam did you say you installed 62111691262 and you have a 21+ model year?
Just a FYI that's the part number for the 16-20 R NineT's.

My bike is 21 as well but the part number for 21+ is 62111691265, Here's what my temp gauge looks like, It worked from the get go. A good way to make sure you have the correct Rev Counter is to make sure the BMW roundel is like the speedometer and not spelling out "BMW Motorrad"
Speedometer Odometer Tachometer Gauge Motor vehicle

Gauge Automotive lighting Measuring instrument Motor vehicle Automotive tire

261 - 280 of 292 Posts