BMW NineT Forum banner

161 - 180 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
2020 R Nine T /5
6 Posts
Hello @NovaRider,
Could you list the part# for the items you used to installed the tach counter?
I am confused with GS/Scrambler posts, but I see you got the Pure /5, same as mine.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Could you list the part# for the items you used to installed the tach counter?
Hello Ignacio, absolutely. I purchased my tach and bits through the German site KFM, www.kfm-motorraeder.de (am I allowed to post that?), part #'s 77538389483 and 62118564506. The first part number is a complete kit and the second number is the tach itself. Total cost including international shipping to Wisconsin $485. Could not be happier with everything. Took less then 10 days to get here also. I would highly recommend them. Please let me know if you go with them. Ride safe!

·
Registered
2020 R Nine T /5
6 Posts
Hello Ignacio, absolutely. I purchased my tach and bits through the German site KFM, www.kfm-motorraeder.de (am I allowed to post that?), part #'s 77538389483 and 62118564506. The first part number is a complete kit and the second number is the tach itself. Total cost including international shipping to Wisconsin $485. Could not be happier with everything. Took less then 10 days to get here also. I would highly recommend them. Please let me know if you go with them. Ride safe!
Thank you! just ordered the items...

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Great! Glad to help. I'm sure you will find the tach a nice addition to your bike!

·
Registered
9 Posts
You can get some slack by adjusting the clutch cable down by the shifter. My dealer moved the cable guider down there to behind the left cylinder, freeing up some slack.
Thanks but when my bike was at BMW dealer for revision and check up I saw another scrambler with same mounting and cables were also same as mine so finally did not do anything

·
Registered
1 Posts
I scraped together enough pennies for the rev counter and installed it this weekend. I found it a bit irritating to have neither a rev counter nor a gear indicator. I really prefer to have at least one ... and now I have both! Attached is a pic from the front. I had to unclip the clutch line and pull out the slack as was mentioned previously in this thread. I had to remove my previously installed 20mm handlebar risers though - I couldn’t get enough clutch cable slack to keep the rev counter and risers. It was my first time lifting the gas tank (as it was easier to get to the additional zip ties on the clutch cable), which turned out to be pretty easy. Although, I’ll remember to do it with an empty tank next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi. I've done the same installation and have the same problem. The left brake and clutch cable is hitting the speedometer and it's so tight when turning to the right that I can't turn completely. Did your fix work, and worked even with your bar raisers. Do you have any more pics of this fix or any pointers. If I understand it correctly I have to lift of my tank? :) Sounds a bit scary.

·
Premium Member
2017 BMW R NineT Scrambler X
45 Posts
Thanks for this post - I took the plunge too - I was in the camp of "not needing the rev counter" but think it adds a great deal to the riding experience, not to mention the look of the bike. It is more complete and whole with it in my opinion and I find the gear indicator a big plus! I even made use of the old speedo bracket to add an analog clock!

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi. I've done the same installation and have the same problem. The left brake and clutch cable is hitting the speedometer and it's so tight when turning to the right that I can't turn completely. Did your fix work, and worked even with your bar raisers. Do you have any more pics of this fix or any pointers. If I understand it correctly I have to lift of my tank? :) Sounds a bit scary.
Alas, I had to ditch the bar risers - I couldn’t get enough slack in the clutch cable. Maybe it’s possible if you tear more of the bike apart to re-route the cable. Someone else mentioned rotating the bars forward to get the slack for the risers. It might work, but the bars will be further away which may negate the additional height. After a few runs I decided I was ok with the handlebar height and never tried the rotating them.

The cable originally ran through the clip at the yellow arrow. You can see I pulled much of the slack out as the cable is now tucked under a bit more. I had to lift the tank to get to cut some zip ties preventing me from pulling the slack out of the cable (you can see in the second picture where the cable is tucked under the tank).

I only had to lift the tank, not take it completely off. I think it was easier to life the tank from the front (remove a couple bolts in the front of the tank, loosen one in the back) for easier access to the zip ties I needed to cut. Lifting the tank was fairly easy ... only made somewhat challenging
by my lack of foresight to do the work on a low tank.

The cable is tight with the handlebars turned all the way to the right, but not so much that I’m afraid I’ll damage the cable. I’ve put a few hundred miles on the bike this way without any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 R Nine T /5
6 Posts
Got the tach installed today, it was as easy as shown on video ordered the items you mentioned. It all worked perfectly.. thank you!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hello NovaRider,

Are you in Madison area. I have been hesitating on this rev counter for a long time. I am wondering if I can check how it looks if you are in Madison area.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Hey Enzo, I am more on the Milwaukee side. Unfortunately I don't get out to Madison much anymore, especially now as my work is keeping me very busy close to home (fortunate and thankful for that). I would be happy to snap more pictures for you if you like. Personally, I love the look. I think it completes the bike. I like the functionality of the gear indicator (main reason for installing it) and the various fuel readings. I could not be happier after adding it to mine, which was a breeze. I don't think you would be sorry for including it on your ride. Let me know if you want more pics. Ride safe!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hey Enzo, I am more on the Milwaukee side. Unfortunately I don't get out to Madison much anymore, especially now as my work is keeping me very busy close to home (fortunate and thankful for that). I would be happy to snap more pictures for you if you like. Personally, I love the look. I think it completes the bike. I like the functionality of the gear indicator (main reason for installing it) and the various fuel readings. I could not be happier after adding it to mine, which was a breeze. I don't think you would be sorry for including it on your ride. Let me know if you want more pics. Ride safe!
Two weeks ago, I was at Michlers. A group of riders asked if I am from Milwaukee. They thought I am from their Milwaukee BMW owners club something. 😄

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
That's funny! I picked up my bike at Mischler's. Nice place. Good people.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks to these posts, I was able to install the rev counter on my RnineT Pure.
bought the parts through Ihr Spezialist für original Motorrad Ersatzteile - KFM-Motorräder
took about 1 week (to Japan).

62118564506 Revolution counter
77538389483 Set attachment double inst.cluster black

did not have to move the tank to cut the zip tie holding the cable so the installation was so easy and smooth.
took probably 20 minutes?

tool needed was T25 torx and cutter for the zip tie.

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
I was hesitant for almost a year. But I now understand it is a must-have. I was in 3rd gear today and was preparing to cross the street to get my coffee. I thought I was in 2nd, so was planning to turn left to the side of the street with a little bit of clutch. Then I stalled the bike in the middle of the opposite-lane.
I am lucky that I didnt drop the bike and no car was coming from the opposite direction. Feel like a living target at that moment. Man, I am lucky.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
I hear you Enzo. I didn't have quite the pucker factor experience you had but a similar one, thinking I was in 1st when I was in 2nd. Stalled the bike with a fresh green and a truck behind me. Not a lot of fun. Luckily, I recovered quickly and the only thing bruised was my ego. Has not happened since the install.

161 - 180 of 215 Posts