BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 R9T with Ohlin$$$ front and back and BMW HP forged wheel$$$.That is the starting point for my comparison.
I was thinking to get a Urban G/S with tubeless spoke wheels and put Holan 38L aluminum hard cases on it and ride it the Baja in Mexico to a have a more pure-istic experience than ring my big-ger watercooled GS-ADVenture which I have used on my prior trips.
A very good bike but a little bit too refined and even for a big guy like me a little big and heavy in certain situations.It also could use a little more power to make the added complexity of watercooling worthwhile.But that is another story and only woth considering in mexico where you can run a bike without having to worry about law enforcement...
Anyways yesterday I had a chance to give the Pure and Urban G/S a short shakedown which surprised me in many ways.
And I thought it might be of interest to some of you.
First the Pure.I was surprised how fun the bike is.O.k. the suspension is not as compliant as the Ohlin$$$ combo but definitely rideable and not as bad as the cheapness of the non-adjustable suspension would suggest.Let's put it this way.The Ohlins don't feel $3500 better.The handling with the flatter steering head and tubeless cast wheels had me surprised in a positive way too.Not like a log with the stock heavy tubed wheels but almost as quick as my R9T with steeper sterring head and forged wheels.The Remus pipe sounded awesome.Louder and raspier than the already not to shabby sounding stock Akrapovic.My Akrapovic single pipe might sound a hair deeper but the Pure and G/S stock pipes sound good enough to leave them alone.Even the Euro-4 engine did not feel lacking.Very good.
I would say the Pure is the funnest bike in BMW's lineup and the most bang for the buck period.It definitely needs a tach with gear indicator and the Wunderlich S-fairing for looks and wind protection.If there would be factory options for hardbags,luggage rack and centerstand it would be perfect !
BMW definitely should have a option to get the cast wheels on the costlier R9T without having to pay another couple grand or so for lighter and tubeless cast wheels !
On to the Urban G/S.Stupid name but a very good looking bike with the spoked wheels from the watercooled GS.Liked the looks and feel of the bike.What surprised me though what a difference a 17 vs 19 inch wheel makes.Both bikes are pretty much the same but the steering is different.I guess this makes only a difference for people who ride fast on twisty backroads.The Pure steears quicker while the G/S needs more bar pressure and still steers slower.Some people might actually like this trait of the G/S better because the like rail like stability.
I would describe it while the Pure feels playful as a puppy the G/S is more serious with a more stabile handling not unlike a Ducati.
But anyways from a feeling the Pure wins for me.Quick steering.Much quicker,more comfortable and much more fun than the Racer which are otherwise the same.What a difference a handlebar or slightly smaller or lighter wheels will make.
I have to think hard if the more characterful Urban will replace my watercooled GS-ADV.
The ADV is quicker steering and the better bike.The Urban has more character and feel if you like aircooled boxers which I do...
But otherwise the Pure is the pure BMW boxer !!!
Just a great bike like my 2016 R9T after I threw another 8 grand at it..:laugh2:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to mention remaining 2017 R9T's have 0% financing and only difference on the 2018 is that they have black instead of grey handlebar switches that look cheaper in my opinion...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thanks for the review!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To sum it all up I would say if you like the R9T buy the Pure.It's the best deal and funnest to ride.
To replicate the same feeling you would have to fork out another couple grand for the lighter cast wheels on the R9T.Too much more money for a slightly better looking black aluminum tank,tach/gear indicator and adjustable forks.
As you can get the tach and aluminum tank for the Pure,too.
You can get a Pure with tach,aluminum tank,Ohlins cartridge and shock for still less than stock R9T money.That's a deal !
Anyways the very good looking "Urban" G/S is not as much fun to ride because the 19 inch front makes it slower steering and requiring more bar pressure.But still quicker steering than the "Racer" which reminds me of a old Ducati 916 on tight backroads.Hard work but on rails in fast sweepers.
Compared to a watercooled GS the Urban is slightly faster in a straight line !As also lighter & lower and has more character and raw feel as also better and louder exhaust sound.The transmission shifts also better while the watercooled GS can still clunk in gears 1,2,3.
But I would still say the watercooled GS is the better bike pracrical goodies like centerstand and aluminum hardcases/topcase where you can store your stuff safe and dry on longer trips.
But also it is quicker steering and there is nothing like the Telelever ironing out out imperfections while the fork tells you how bad the road really is.If the Uraban was as fun to ride as the Pure I could live with the shortcomings.
As it is I stick with the GS-ADV and have a Pure/R9T as my second bike !
BMW should put a 17 inch spoke wheel on the Urban to live up to it's name.Than it would be perfect I.M.H.O.
But I might still get one to live out some childhood dreams going down the Baja on a white R80G/S with a red seat...:D
Die Boxerlust auf der Baja erleben !

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hi.. Boxerlust, where are you from.?
I am fortunate enough to have 2 new bikes from June, a 2017 Gs Rallye & a 9T Urban (yes divorce looming, nearly anyway)
Not sure if comments about speed in a straight line are accurate, open to be educated tho..
I agree the Urban wouldn’t entirely replace the Gs as for long distance touring & luggage capacity & security are issues on the R9T range, although you can still load plenty if you stack it right.
Depending where you live/use the bikes makes all the difference, I live in a small town & every time I choose the Urban except for Motorway or higher speed travel, which the Gs is great at.
Just love the Tkc80 knobblies that came with the Urban, great for street use & would never have fitted any but now, YES, can see the Gs with a set on shortly.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Phil I live in California and also got 2 new beemers this season.Pretty much same as you a Triple Black GS-ADV and 2016 R9T.
The GS is great but almost feels Japanese to me and could use another 25 hp to make WC worthwhile.The R9T is a lot of fun but could use some real bags and centerstand.I love to ride in Mexico where spoke wheels are a plus and hardbags a must to store the stuff you need for a 3 week trip.
That is why I thought the Urban would be perfect to combine the best of both bikes.But so far some some ingredients are still missing...GS practicality and R9T old school boxer feel.
Who knows if nothing is coming anymore on BMW's part I might still give the Urban a try put some Ohlins,a wunderlich rack and Holan bags on it.But it was so much easier if it was all available straight from the factory.
Or next years GS finally cures that power itch and gives the GS that is for sure the best bike you can buy a liitle dose of excitement...:smile:
We'll see soon as in 2021 if EU-5 should become real it will be over for me anyways.I don't want a bike that sounds like nothing and runs too lean only to appease some crazy politicians and their feverish dreams of electric propulsion....:blowup:
Rally and Urban - you have a nice stable stable sir !

·
Registered
245 Posts
Phil I live in California:
Rally and Urban - you have a nice stable stable sir !
Location is slightly milder than here in the uk at the moment, got one of your storm fronts chilling the air & dropping snow..
I know what you mean about the panniers, I was gonna make some but they’ll be time consuming. (Would rather buy them)
Got the rear rack, tidy but expensive.
I opted for SW. Motech canvas bags with metal mounting frames, not perfect but after a silly off road (Rocky Mountain path) spill, all the weight was on the bags, not a scratch, dusted the bags off & surprised me, the alloy panniers would have been trashed, Bike was upside down & took 2 of us to get it upright.

Also looking forward to the new 2018/19 model Gs/GSA

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
Don’t know why photo is upside down, ohh....
last one is the pannier frames without the bags, neat carriers, as important to me as when the bags are fitted..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts