BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody

I have a few questions about the sound of the R nine t 2021.

I'm looking for ways to make my R nine t 2021 louder, more bassy, like the old euro4 or 3 models.

I know there are ways to get the R nine t louder, for example with a new manifold from Unit or Akrapovic. But this is difficult to do in my country as it is illegal to drive without a catalytic converter.

I've also considered removing the flap. But I think if I do that I might damage the bike and I will probably lose the dealer's warranty.

Do you know other ways to get the R nine t 2021 louder or do you not lose the guarantee when removing the flap?

And does removing the flap bring anything? so does it get louder?

Hope for many answers

greetings from Switzerland

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought a used silencer from a 2018 pure on eBay. I removed the silencer in the tip and welded the holes from drilling spot welds. Then, I had to expand the pipe to fit over the larger flapper pipe. It is app 2 mm larger than previous models. The end result was a little more decibels along with a deep exhaust sound. Overall, a pretty reasonable cost, as well. I priced a high end pipe but decided against it when dealer told me they don't change the sound much.

·
Registered
214 Posts
One doesn't need to "remove" the flap in order for it to become ineffective.
Just decouple the cables from the flap itself, and it'll stay open. It's a 5 minute job which doesn't require any special tool apart torx bits and which is totally reversible in just as little time.

It made more difference from a stock setup than going for the Akrapovic silencer.

The pops and bangs which I adored on my euro 4 pure haven't come back, but that's only because the euro5 engine is so much cleaner (less valve overlap for better midrange torque but also less hydrocarbons in the exhaust to go bang).

I couldn't recommend trying it highly enough. It has no downside, the bike performs absolutely like it did stock and it's completely reversible.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One doesn't need to "remove" the flap in order for it to become ineffective.
Just decouple the cables from the flap itself, and it'll stay open. It's a 5 minute job which doesn't require any special tool apart torx bits and which is totally reversible in just as little time.

It made more difference from a stock setup than going for the Akrapovic silencer.

The pops and bangs which I adored on my euro 4 pure haven't come back, but that's only because the euro5 engine is so much cleaner (less valve overlap for better midrange torque but also less hydrocarbons in the exhaust to go bang).

I couldn't recommend trying it highly enough. It has no downside, the bike performs absolutely like it did stock and it's completely reversible.

That sounds really promising. But did you have problems with the warranty from the dealer ??? so do you still have it or is it lost?

And is the sound very different from the original sound (more bass, louder etc.)

Didn't you use a servo buddy for the mod? thought that only works with servo buddy at euro 5?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I did the servo buddy on my 21, a bit louder but not much. I did start it with the muffler off and she’s loud.. I would try getting the db things out of the back of the muffler, u will need to cut the little welds holding them in

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did the servo buddy on my 21, a bit louder but not much. I did start it with the muffler off and she’s loud.. I would try getting the db things out of the back of the muffler, u will need to cut the little welds holding them in

Thanks...

Did I understand correctly, the servo buddy deactivates the flap. And then it doesn't get much louder? would have thought if the flap is open it would be much louder, bassier etc ...

is that so?

·
Registered
214 Posts
That sounds really promising. But did you have problems with the warranty from the dealer ??? so do you still have it or is it lost?

And is the sound very different from the original sound (more bass, louder etc.)

Didn't you use a servo buddy for the mod? thought that only works with servo buddy at euro 5?
I'm not entirely sure that I've been clear enough in my description : the valve is still there !

The cables coming out of the servo are just disconnected from it so it doesn't move and stays open because it's designed to fail open.

If I ever need to make a warranty claim I can just reconnect them, a 5 minute job involving only two screws, and voilà the bike's stock again.

No need for a servo buddy or anything of that sort since the bike thinks that the valve is there and functional.

The sound is exactly as I remember my Eu 4 Pure (which was louder than the Eu4 classic) sounding apart from the bangs on the overrun. A nice gunshot sound when reving from idle while filtering, and a lovely angry bee going berserk at high revs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you, yes I understood it despite my bad English;). Just thought it could be that one could somehow prove that something was changed. But that's not the case

great thank you!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not entirely sure that I've been clear enough in my description : the valve is still there !

The cables coming out of the servo are just disconnected from it so it doesn't move and stays open because it's designed to fail open.

If I ever need to make a warranty claim I can just reconnect them, a 5 minute job involving only two screws, and voilà the bike's stock again.

No need for a servo buddy or anything of that sort since the bike thinks that the valve is there and functional.

The sound is exactly as I remember my Eu 4 Pure (which was louder than the Eu4 classic) sounding apart from the bangs on the overrun. A nice gunshot sound when reving from idle while filtering, and a lovely angry bee going berserk at high revs.

And do you have a Video from the Sound of your nine T? I`m so interessted in how it sounds

·
Registered
214 Posts
And do you have a Video from the Sound of your nine T? I`m so interessted in how it sounds
I don't have any quality recording equipment so it's going to sound quite unrealistic and nothing ever matches the real thing anyway, but I could write a little how-to guide for you and other folks so that you can try it out yourself(ves) ?

There's really no reason not to try it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OHH that would be great !!! the r nine t is my first motorcycle and so i'm not that sure about the technology in the Bike, so i would be grateful for any help.
Thank you

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks...

Did I understand correctly, the servo buddy deactivates the flap. And then it doesn't get much louder? would have thought if the flap is open it would be much louder, bassier etc ...

is that so?
yep that's correct,
similar to what the other guy did, he disconnected the cables, I disconnected the power and plugged in servo buddy, a lot simpler than disconnecting the cables but obviously there is a cost.
I would even try removing just 1 db killer in the muffler and see how she sounds, that's what I will be doing when I have a chance

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Thank you sooooooo much
very helpful 👍👍👍👍
Hey Dog,
OHH that would be great !!! the r nine t is my first motorcycle and so i'm not that sure about the technology in the Bike, so i would be grateful for any help.
Thank you
Hey Dog, first of all, I advise not to screw with anything that might void the warranty. Be patient and let it expire. Less headaches arguing with the dealership, I think. When it does then cut loose with any mod you want. I started off slow. The ECU on this bike is new to me and I wasn’t sure how adaptable it was. It’s designed to make adjustments to timing and fuel according to its firmware and sensors. I didn’t want to go so far as to screw up the tune. I began with gutting the stock mufflers and the sound got better but after a weeks ride I knew I wanted more. Fortunately I live in a state in USA that has no muffler restrictions …so what ever you do it’s legal. Long story short, I dumped the flapper kept the catalytic and went to an inexpensive tail pipe tip. Paying way to much for Wunderlish or titanium this or that didn’t make sense to me … if you can tell me step by step how to load a video to this forum I be happy to make one so you can hear the result. Here are a couple of still shots below. I like it because if I’m easy on the throttle it’s reasonably quiet but when I push her she really can get loud … perfect in traffic and I ride daily in heavy traffic. …anyway, make it your own. Be creative till you get it the way you want. Hope this adds to your ideas … Cheers …..Blitz

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Dog,

Hey Dog, first of all, I advise not to screw with anything that might void the warranty. Be patient and let it expire. Less headaches arguing with the dealership, I think. When it does then cut loose with any mod you want. I started off slow. The ECU on this bike is new to me and I wasn’t sure how adaptable it was. It’s designed to make adjustments to timing and fuel according to its firmware and sensors. I didn’t want to go so far as to screw up the tune. I began with gutting the stock mufflers and the sound got better but after a weeks ride I knew I wanted more. Fortunately I live in a state in USA that has no muffler restrictions …so what ever you do it’s legal. Long story short, I dumped the flapper kept the catalytic and went to an inexpensive tail pipe tip. Paying way to much for Wunderlish or titanium this or that didn’t make sense to me … if you can tell me step by step how to load a video to this forum I be happy to make one so you can hear the result. Here are a couple of still shots below. I like it because if I’m easy on the throttle it’s reasonably quiet but when I push her she really can get loud … perfect in traffic and I ride daily in heavy traffic. …anyway, make it your own. Be creative till you get it the way you want. Hope this adds to your ideas … Cheers …..Blitz
View attachment 144711
View attachment 144712

Hello

Thanks for your comment.

Your setup looks very cool, really enviable. Thanks for your helpful tips. They will help me. Yes, I think it is better to wait until the warranty expires. But I try to ask in the BMW garage if I can make a mod without losing the guarantee.

I would be very interested in what your motorcycle sounds like, but I also don't know how to upload a video to the forum.

but maybe I can find another way and then I will write it to you.

thanks for your tips

greetings Rnine t Dog

·
Registered
2019 R nine T Pure
40 Posts
Hello everybody

I have a few questions about the sound of the R nine t 2021.

I'm looking for ways to make my R nine t 2021 louder, more bassy, like the old euro4 or 3 models.

I know there are ways to get the R nine t louder, for example with a new manifold from Unit or Akrapovic. But this is difficult to do in my country as it is illegal to drive without a catalytic converter.

I've also considered removing the flap. But I think if I do that I might damage the bike and I will probably lose the dealer's warranty.

Do you know other ways to get the R nine t 2021 louder or do you not lose the guarantee when removing the flap?

And does removing the flap bring anything? so does it get louder?

Hope for many answers

greetings from Switzerland
There is no need to make the bike louder; it has a god civilized sound, a little milder than that of the 2019 model. Just the way I like it. Big sound is for exhibitionists, who want too much attention. I thought it is an American trait, but intruded into "old" Europe. Besides, every modification is detrimental to the engine; engineers designed it to be efficient and proper for longevity as well. So I suggest to leave the stock silencer alone and enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Big sound is for exhibitionists, who want too much attention.
When I was a kid I put cards on my bicycle with clothes pins - every kid in my neighborhood did that - it was a fad

As an adult, when I began riding motorcycles at the ripe old age of 18, I realized adding extra noise to the motorcycle isn't going to make me faster, it's definitely going to annoy others (especially when passing someone or riding anywhere people live), and the loudness could definitely give law enforcement a "heads up, ticket time" advantage that I really did not want or need.

Not sure, but I think that process of growing up is called maturing

Whatever it's called, I like it

1 - 20 of 33 Posts