BMW NineT Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 rninet Scrambler
6 Posts
Hi R9T community, glad to have found this group.
I am considering an R9T to replace my 2010 R12 GS 30th Anniversary Edition I recently sold after a delightful 10 years ownership. As soon as I delivered the GS to its new owner , I knew deep down it was a mistake!
After 60 years on two wheels (I am 76) , I talked my self into believing that I should hang up the helmet, and count my blessings for a great run!
Well, that didn’t last long.....I have liked the R9T since it’s introduction, but needed the GS for the longer rides, space, utility, and occasional trails. So the T was not an option then.
Now I am looking for a “hundred mile” bike vs a 500 mile bike, one that still puts a grin on my face, and has the ride/handling/DNA that I have gotten used to with 5 previous BMW’s, starting with. 73 R60/5 Toaster Tank, then a R90/6, then a K75S, followed by an R11000 RT, a 2005GS and the 2010 GS 30th.

So I am considering the original R9T (Classic), the Pure, or maybe the Scrambler. Are the specs pretty much the same on these, is the Classic 2014-2016 the same as the current Classic? Does the Pure give up anything on specs or performance? Are there common issues/problems on these, my initial thoughts and impressions are that the T is loved and very reliable, just like my GS!

Right now based on initial research I am favoring a Classic, first generation, with less than 15000 miles, and in the $7-9k price range. Would also consider a newer Pure in the $8-9 k ranges.

Please reply with thoughts, suggestions and/or advice.

Thanks!
I have a 2017 Scrambler. Agonized over which model to get at the time because I rode sportbikes previously. Chose the Scrambler for the looks and the slightly more relaxed seating position. I couldn't be happier with my choice. The stock seat is horrendous, after switching to a Sargent it is much better. No reliability issues. Fun to ride and look at.
Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
2011 R1200RT - 2015 RNineT
149 Posts
I live in Oakland MD, and great riding roads are 1/2 mile from my driveway! Bad news is riding season is short, mid April through October, plus/minus based on "climate change" . Had first snow this week, but temps tomorrow will be in high 50's.
What is your family name(s), though not a native, I have lived here 20 years and know a few folks!
Sent you a PM

·
Registered
2017 R nineT Classic
443 Posts
I wish it had the 2 piece rear sub frame too.
Its not the subframe that carries the passenger pegs and exhaust hanger that is 2 piece, that is still removable on all models. It is the actual rear frame that carries the seats and lights. And yes it is still 2 piece on Classic models. The passenger seat can still be completely removed.

·
Registered
2020,R Nine T Racer
83 Posts
Have a look at the 2021 range and specifically the Urban. It has exciting extras and I think it will make up for gs.

·
Registered
2019 RnineT
44 Posts
I’ll stick with...buy the one that makes you look back at it as you walk away. The exception might be the Racer only because of riding position....although it may be the easiest on the eyes. The rest are all great.

Remember the old saying...too much of a good thing is a good thing!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've been riding over 45+ years and have owned Hondas, Kawasakis, Yamahas, KTMs and a Norton but never a BMW. When I saw a BMW R9T Classic, I knew I wanted to own one. I started looking, it took me over 2 months to find my 2016 R9T Classic that had everything I was looking for. Take your time and you'll find a clean low mileage Classic.

·
Registered
BMW R nineT Pure
408 Posts
On longer spirited rides the vibration of the 9T can really kick my ass. It's a pretty rough ride tbh.
Handlebars and footpegs, or just handlebars? Have you tried a set of heavy bar ends? I'll be buying a set soon to mount the mirrors I just bought from another forum member, and I'm sure it will smooth out some of the vibrations at higher rpms. The footpegs haven't bothered me yet, even being metal only with no rubber insert.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I have a 2017 Scrambler. Agonized over which model to get at the time because I rode sportbikes previously. Chose the Scrambler for the looks and the slightly more relaxed seating position. I couldn't be happier with my choice. The stock seat is horrendous, after switching to a Sargent it is much better. No reliability issues. Fun to ride and look at.
Good luck with your search.
Thanks for the info, have not considered the Scrambler, if I can find one to compare, I certainly will.

·
Registered
'19 Scrambler, '92 535i/5
33 Posts
Handlebars and footpegs, or just handlebars? Have you tried a set of heavy bar ends? I'll be buying a set soon to mount the mirrors I just bought from another forum member, and I'm sure it will smooth out some of the vibrations at higher rpms. The footpegs haven't bothered me yet, even being metal only with no rubber insert.
Bone stock. Haven't looked into ways to mitigate it. I think it's mostly when I hold the throttle open on the highway and have to fight against the wind.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hi Ninetowners, here is the latest update on my search for an R9T to replace my recently sold 2010 30th Anniversary R1200GS. I had the opportunity to test ride two R9T's this past weekend and had fun....for the first 10 minutes!

Those of you who have followed this thread for the past couple of weeks know that I am a make believe "senior", at age 76, but act and feel like I am in my 40's. But my knees and hips have a different idea, and after 10-15 minutes let me know to keep looking for the next new ride.

I have a riding buddy who has a 2016 R1200 R, and after 10 miles on his, I realize the R is a better "fit" for me and my bones!

So, for now, I am focusing on searching for a 2017 R 1200 R, and hopefully keep riding till the big 80....yikes!

Best to all here, and stay safe....and fast!

·
Administrator
11,775 Posts
Good luck with your search! :)

Reactions: R9TFWS
21 - 32 of 32 Posts