BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as a new member on here I am considering a new Nine T classic or a Pure model. Not decided which. After people's thoughts on the 2 different models before I pull the trigger. I'm having a test ride on an Urban version this weekend. (Its the only one the dealer has for test rides) Many thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was in the same dilemma when buying my R nine t.. i testrode the R nine t pure and the R nine t Classic, but ended up going for the Urban.
The urban has a higher and a bit more upright seating position than the other R nine t's.. hence i went for this model with my 1.85 height and long legs ;)

The pure and the classic are almost the same times.. but the classic has some more fancy parts on it; i.e. front forks, muffler, wheels (unless you go for the spoked option).

·
Registered
206 Posts
Classic as in the Roadster? I would go with the classic. Better suspension and gauge cluster, plus it will hold it's value better than a Pure. Urban GS over a Pure for sure, especially if the UGS has tubeless spoked wheels.

Two years on and I'm still missing a gear indicator and tach with my Urban GS. I can't really justify dropping $700 for adding the gauge, and another $700 for suspension. It's not bad suspension, it's just... basic. Both soft and hard at the same time.

·
Registered
BMW R nineT Pure
109 Posts
I bought a new Pure a couple weeks ago. I really dig it so far and it was my first choice, but I understand why some people prefer the Classic. The better front brakes, adjustable front suspension, and better dash on the Classic are definite pluses, the exhaust cans look sweet, and it's a great looking bike overall. But I didn't want spoked wheels, and I'm going to swap out the front folk internals anyway for a stouter setup due to my weight. (Will do rear shock, too.) I also just liked the looks of my Pure better, too.

My only advice would be this: If you're on a limited budget and you plan to put some money into modifications quickly, at least consider the Pure. Being cheaper to buy will allow you to spend more money on farkles sooner rather than later. But really, it's hard to go wrong with either model, as they're both great.

·
Registered
2020 R Nine T Pure
37 Posts
Same here, bought a Pure knowing others with Classic had to eventually upgrade forks and shocks and the price difference was more than the upgrades. That said - if I did buy the Classic, I might've stayed with stock suspension as it would've been good enough for my riding style. The shocks on the Pure aren't worth much.

I'm not the fan of the Catalano Gray paint on the Pure but that's up to personal taste.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just a tip; and i dont know if this is the same in other countries.

I bought my BMW R nine t Urban g/s 2018 as a BMW premium bike.. This means it's an official BMW bike that gets a full inspection , service and has a complete record in the country of origin it was first imported to. They also give a full 2 year warranty as if it was a brand new bike. Might be something to look into..

·
Registered
2018 RNineT Classic
77 Posts
I have gone for a classic myself as I know I would have spent way too much money on pure to turn it into classic. Speedo, upside down forks to name the few. I always go for top of the range things, just tend to chose my women in a different manner and always second hand (y) :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Plus classic holds its value better.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you are the type of rider who likes a no frills and wants to customize their bike to their own style and taste buy the Pure. If your the type of rider who wants his bike to come with a little more bells and whistles such as upside down forks, a modern dash with a speedo and tach, aftermarket mufflers buy the Classic. I bought a used 2016 Classic that came with a ton of upgraded parts.

·
Registered
302 Posts
If you prefer a blank canvas then go for the Pure.
The "Classic" is well, a classic.
The Urban, if the ergonomics are more suitable.
The Racer (if you can find one), if the "cafe" look and riding position is more appealing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Same here, bought a Pure knowing others with Classic had to eventually upgrade forks and shocks and the price difference was more than the upgrades. That said - if I did buy the Classic, I might've stayed with stock suspension as it would've been good enough for my riding style. The shocks on the Pure aren't worth much.

I'm not the fan of the Catalano Gray paint on the Pure but that's up to personal taste.
have to say I do fancy the "Racer" but I fear the riding position is too extreme for me.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Buy the one that pleases you and pleases your wallet. The differences are really quite small in terms of function.

But, as I’ve posted elsewhere, I'd never buy a modern road bike with tubed tires. Tubes mean upwards of hours of annoyance if you get a flat versus minutes to plug only a tire. At least not on a bike that I might ride away from civilization.

·
Registered
49 Posts
have to say I do fancy the "Racer" but I fear the riding position is too extreme for me.
Is the racer position more extreme than say putting a set of 15mm rise Rizoma MA011 bars (vs 140mm rise as standard) on a classic? Are the pegs also higher? Can't find these details anywhere.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is the racer position more extreme than say putting a set of 15mm rise Rizoma MA011 bars (vs 140mm rise as standard) on a classic? Are the pegs also higher? Can't find these details anywhere.
I would guess the foot pegs are higher and pushed back a bit to give the cafe racer position.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would guess the foot pegs are higher and pushed back a bit to give the cafe racer position.
Yeah right. Would be great to know what the actual foot peg vs seat vs bar positions are compared with the classic. Coming from pushbikes the geometry is always cleary and well defined for race frames, particularly stack and reach so it's strange that these aren't standard specs for motorbikes to me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
So as a new member on here I am considering a new Nine T classic or a Pure model. Not decided which. After people's thoughts on the 2 different models before I pull the trigger. I'm having a test ride on an Urban version this weekend. (Its the only one the dealer has for test rides) Many thanks.
I’d consider a usedbike. I have a 2016 classic that is tons of fun. I looked at selling it, and it would go for $8-9k. That is a bargain if you ask me.

·
Registered
Ducati Multistrada 950S
5 Posts
Adding to the discussion: what are the differences between the Pure, Classic and Scrambler?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a new Pure a couple weeks ago. I really dig it so far and it was my first choice, but I understand why some people prefer the Classic. The better front brakes, adjustable front suspension, and better dash on the Classic are definite pluses, the exhaust cans look sweet, and it's a great looking bike overall. But I didn't want spoked wheels, and I'm going to swap out the front folk internals anyway for a stouter setup due to my weight. (Will do rear shock, too.) I also just liked the looks of my Pure better, too.

My only advice would be this: If you're on a limited budget and you plan to put some money into modifications quickly, at least consider the Pure. Being cheaper to buy will allow you to spend more money on farkles sooner rather than later. But really, it's hard to go wrong with either model, as they're both great.
I just bought the Pure myself being a big fan of the Cafe racer look, the Pure is the best model to convert and modify into one, and the $6k Price difference is more than enough for way better mods.

·
Registered
BMW R nineT Pure
109 Posts
I just bought the Pure myself being a big fan of the Cafe racer look, the Pure is the best model to convert and modify into one, and the $6k Price difference is more than enough for way better mods.
Congrats on your Pure! I like mine a little more each time I ride it, and after 14 years on a different bike I'm starting to get comfortable on my new one.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts