BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure where to start this discussion, please move if needed :p

This particular modification of the bike I fell in love with before I owned one. While I don't intend to take mine exactly where they did, I want to play with some possibilities, while taking into account less showroom sacrifices and more real world practical thinking. For example the rear mudguard is non existent here! And like all of us I enjoy a cross between classic and modern, but I'm not huge on the motogadget dashboard. I do like the minimalism involved.

Many of you have a lot more experience, so, with the above in mind, I'm curious what observations the community has when looking at this bike that might not be obvious to the less initiated, maybe even worth considering not doing. E.g. it wasn't at first immediately obvious to me that pipes like those are probably really loud, which is not something I go for.

A highlight for me is the tank and the color. How does the community feel about tank swaps? I've done some searches on here but struggling to find a conclusion, however it does seem like it's not something very common.

For what it's worth, I plan on keeping this work of art forever, if I ever stop riding (what?) then it will be a statue wherever I live haha! So I'm not too concerned about resale – conversely though... I do like to keep things non-destructive and reversible just in case. What are good things to consider for a project like this? Do aftermarket tanks match capacity / safety / efficiency? I'm not sure where to go with this at all, but it'd be cool to stay somewhat faithful to the original lines and curves while making it a little more... its own self. If I do this it'd probably involve a finishing touch with a custom more subtle BMW badge on either side.

I like the tail tidy done there, anyone know a combo like that that is compatible with having some sort of discrete luggage tray (to replace the stock diving board)?

Who wants to join on this conversation? Thanks in advance if you read this far. I want to know even if you just hate it and why, or if you love it too! Here are the pics. 👇 [ no association, and all credit goes to Clutch Motorcycles Paris ]

·
Registered
397 Posts
Man that oil cooler is dynamite, I’m not much into the cafe style, I’m just to old to ride in a position like that. However that’s clean and BMW Boxer Beautiful ! Trying to emulate that feel can’t possibly be a bad idea. I’m decked out for a good 3 or 4 month tour right now but by the end of next summer, if I live that long I’m leaning towards Bobber instead of Cafe.
I want to lean back not forward, but I won’t be dashing from Starbucks to Starbucks either.
I like the look your going for and it totally suits the R9T set up but I wouldn’t want to ride it for more than an hour or so at a time. Your sure going to turn heads any way you go. Have at it, like you said if you change your mind you can always go back the way you came.
Cheers n StayUpOn2 what ever you do. I’d like to know how effective that lube cooler is ...

·
Registered
53 Posts
This is one of my favorite nine t builds. Clutch really understands the importance of fit, finish, and proportions. I remember learning that the suspension is completely stock. It just appears lower and longer due to the custom tank and seat lines. The small piece of aluminum under the tank to enhance that line and hide the electronics 👌. If I could have a 2nd nine t for around town this would be it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Wonder why he’s left the rear sub frame in place?
Ken.
Is that tail piece the stock frame ? I don’t think so. I could be wrong but it sure doesn’t look like my sub frame. Is that LED brake light built into the frame or the seat. Looks like the frame and that certainly isn’t stock... is it ?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Is that tail piece the stock frame ? I don’t think so. I could be wrong but it sure doesn’t look like my sub frame. Is that LED brake light built into the frame or the seat. Looks like the frame and that certainly isn’t stock... is it ?
Yep BlitzSchnell,
Definitely, he’s welded another part frame to the main frame.
On closer inspection I see the lug where the 2 screws would have fixed the original sub frame to the main frame.
Well spotted mate.
Ken.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Man that oil cooler is dynamite, I’m not much into the cafe style, I’m just to old to ride in a position like that. However that’s clean and BMW Boxer Beautiful ! Trying to emulate that feel can’t possibly be a bad idea. I’m decked out for a good 3 or 4 month tour right now but by the end of next summer, if I live that long I’m leaning towards Bobber instead of Cafe.
I want to lean back not forward, but I won’t be dashing from Starbucks to Starbucks either.
I like the look your going for and it totally suits the R9T set up but I wouldn’t want to ride it for more than an hour or so at a time. Your sure going to turn heads any way you go. Have at it, like you said if you change your mind you can always go back the way you came.
Cheers n StayUpOn2 what ever you do. I’d like to know how effective that lube cooler is ...
Wow I'm glad this is getting some response! Thanks guys! @BlitzSchnell I'm torn but I agree with you on the leaning back, so what I want to do eventually is arrive at some sort of cross-over because I don't want to go full Cafe due to keeping things practical. I actually don't feel any rush to customize the bar positioning (mostly comfortable with the stance as it naturally kinda meets my shoulder width, and I love the look but I also really don't want to superman from cafecito to cafecito as shown in this mod here). Also, see what I mean by spotting things as a community? I didn't even know that was an oil cooler, I thought that was an update with a less obtrusive air filter (that is what it replaced, right?).

On that note - it looks like the new air filter solution is on the side. Anyone done this? Is this a good idea in terms of performance? I kinda like how it looks on the side but I'm not sure at all what an update like that involves, replacing the current air intake snorkle that came with it.

That exposed rear wheel is such a nice touch as a result of their exhaust choice. Looks like they've put in place something like the motogadget mo.Blue unit inside to make the dash area meet minimalism in style. That means this bike might even have the pre-start feature (it works with bluetooth, and if set up right it can turn on your pre-engine start electronics just by getting close to it).

@Ma Junior right?? I concur, and yes that seems to be the stock suspension. Well spotted on the small piece of metal, I've looked at these pics at least 100 times and I never consciously realized what was happening there until you pointed it out. Taking notes!

My next upgrades will likely be focused on tail tidy (apart from rear lights like in this mod, I'd like to retain some transport functionality by replacing the diving board instead of removing it), and I'm trying to figure out the best approach to front and rear suspension to achieve what I want, focusing on performance and comfort. Visually speaking, I really dig the gold accent given by the front suspension some of you have. If I had to pick just 1 to do first ($$$) – what has a bigger impact? Updating front or rear?

Brakes – any thoughts on those Beringers? I think all of us got Brembos as standard and that they are of pretty good quality.

The biggest thing that stays with me apart from how it all comes together as a whole, is that sweet sweet tank. Any thoughts on that part of my original post?

·
Registered
397 Posts
The handle bars are probably the easiest mod to deal with. Your only limitation of course will be the length of the control cables. Try some variations because it will make the feel and control very different from bar to bar. Riser mounts will let you fine tune the best position after you’ve zeroed in on the bend that serves you best. No that horizontal finned oil cooler replaces a core style radiator that is stock on the 9T. The 9T is what’s referred to as an Air/Oil Cooled moto. The air intake to the filter box and the filter box have been removed all together and replaced with those cone shaped paper intake filters fitted to the intake side of the carburetors. The only down side to that I’ve encountered on other twin carb bikes I’ve owned is if you get caught in a good rain storm they suffer. The elimination of the air box with a weather sheltered filter is where all the air space in front of the mono shock on the rear end came from. I think the investment on suspension will be a bit more expensive for that monoshock replacement over the front forks but I could be wrong. I’m sure there are some riders more familiar with that expense. I’m still running stock. The tidy tail is another issue I dodged with a Corbin style single rider. There’s no glove box as I’ve seen on some. The Brembos up front are very good brakes. I’m pretty sure an upgrade there is nothing short of full racing style that increases the surface area with larger pads. Very expensive detail and unless your going to race I think the money could be better spent elsewhere. Personal opinion. I’m not sure where the tank came from but your right on your evaluation, it is sweet. Probably a one off mod I’d guess. I’d take some digital Picts of your ride, put them up in Photo Shop and play with it until you get the shape you want. Then you can take the modified Picts to some shops and get a price you can work with, or DIY the whole thing. Much more satisfying and you’ll get exactly what you want.
Something I noticed are the unshieled front fork mounts for the front fender. Stock ones have a deflector that shields the workings of the forks from rock challenges. Go for it ! Cheers Blitz

1 - 10 of 10 Posts