BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could not resist this bike, I kept looking and found a used bike from 2017 with only 1200 miles on the clock for a price so reasonable I could not resist and bought it for my birthday, I would have bought it anyway, but the birthday was a nice excuse.

I had been warned about the riding posture as being stretched out and cramped, you won't ride it far, you'll need to lower the pegs, your arms will hurt, etc. I am 6'3" and 270 lbs. When I was 235 I rode a 1983 Suzuki Katana 1100 for nearly 20 years in the US, Mexico and Europe. The Original Katana was designed by Hans Muth, the same designer who did the BMW R100 RS fairing and the R65LS. The racer fit like a glove, I will not be lowering the pegs or changing the bars at all, I love it, it was like a hug from my mother.

Gripes:
Tail light and license plate: are ugly as hell, the bike looks like it is ready to lay eggs in a rotting stump, that ugly plastic $hit has to go.
Gauge Position: Needs to be adjustable, I need them tilted flatter to see them with a quick glance. I'll have to machine something.
Gauge display: WTF? How many numbers can they wedge in together? The numbers are bold, white and bunched up, I have to really look to tell the difference between 30, 40, 50, 60 or 80. At least make the 30 and the 55 red, or make it either MPH ot KPH but not both, It's like a scene from "A Beautiful Mind" trying to tell how fast you are going. The tach could use a broader redline indicator as well. All the other info is kind of OK, but I really want to know the speed and RPM and they are crowded and hard to read at a glance.
Neutral light: Too small and dim, I know there is a N indicator in the tach, but come on, how about a nice large retro green neutral light.
Turn signal light: See above
Reserve: Seriously... A flashing gas pump icon and an accumulated mileage counter? The computer claims to be able to calculate MPG on the fly, how about a miles remaining readout? How about a warning that you have gone into reserve? If you are riding and paying attention to the road, you won't notice that pitiful warning for miles.
Front signals: Placky, janky, they look like after market ebay turn signals. Why not bar end signals as an homage to the /2 or really anything else...
Mirrors: Butt ugly and perfect if I want to know where my elbows are, definitely ditching these for bar ends but thanks for fastening them from under so I don't leave ugly holes in the fairing.
Front forks: Non adjustable forks? WTF seriously?

Geometry: Love it, a lot of sport bikes will change lanes when you do a head check, but not this bike, it takes a little body english or a bit of counter steer to really get it to snap, even then it is stable and really wants to go down the road, rather than really wanting to crash.
Build Quality: F-ing tits, most of the newer BMW's are built like a plastic kids toy, a transformer that is all looks and no substance. This bike is built like a fine piece of German engineering. A real; pleasure to look at and work on.
Sound: Best exhaust note ever from a stock pipe.
Power: Nice wide power band, perfectly predictable.
Gearbox: Awesome, the old BMW's are like shifting a Tractor, this bike is snickety and precise, almost Italian except that on the BMW you can find neutral at a stop.

Overall 9.5 of 10

·
Registered
80 Posts
Excellent review funny and thought provoking. We must celebrate riding such a machine in these times.
How BMW have managed to sell a air/oil cooled 1200 in these days of Euro regs and other shite is pretty amazing.
Not a bike with much of a future but it will do for me!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seat is also too hard.
They managed it by keeping it under 1200 cc and under 120 hp.
I think this line clearly has a future, but only as long as they meet current regs and that is only possible by keeping the CC's and power down to what they can air/oil cool. I mean they are selling the crap out of the R Nine T family and just dropped the /5 homage...(Although it appears to be just an R Nine T with chrome spokes and a stick on tank pad)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Seat is a little hard BUT like a women in killer heals there is a price to pay to look that good!
BUT in my work I meet hundreds of people and sometimes the subject talk may get round to bikes anyway long story short chap brought me in a air hawk seat and insisted I try it..... got to admit it did make a BIG difference on today's 100 mile ride.
May well be buying one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I could not resist this...
Same here...
After riding a rental R nineT Racer for 3 month and 2000 km, I felt almost like love sick when I had to return it, so I decided to buy one. :p

I haven't done any modification yet but going to do soon.

For sure the tail needs to be replaced by something nice, as well the indicators. Rizome offers some nice and tiny ones.

Sorry if my English isn't perfect, as I'm German.

Best
Jens

·
Registered
481 Posts
Happy Birthday.
Glad you are enjoying the ride.
In the myriad of info buttons, is an adjustment for brightness. I never have any problem knowing what the gear position is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts