BMW NineT Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Today I drove for half an hour with the oil pressure sensor disconnected. There was no warning on the display or no safe mode. Very weird?🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
R nineT 2014, K1100RS 1994
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
In general - weired, indeed. But as we already discovered - not weired for BMW, they been doing it for some time now, late nineTs lack this sensor at all. As well as all k1600. And number of other models.
I'm waiting for CAN hat for raspberry pi, and I'm yet to order bmw 8 pin CAN connectors. With all this I'll be able to create CAN sniffer and see if there's a way to fix this issue.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Before you make changes you need to ask yourself why did the engineers at BMW design this the way they did. We all know they did this on purpose. There is absolutely no way that this is an unintentional omission. Do you have any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
As an engineer myself I'm pretty sure there's only one reason: marketing division. BMW needs to push new bikes, just look at their financing plans. Don't know about US but in Russia they offer way better deal than any bank.
So, there's no other reason other than marketing division of BMW group. This way if engine of your bike fails it fails catastrophically. And you either have to replace it or better yet buy a new bike.
You can observe same strategy in modern smartphones, home appliances and pretty much every product of Apple corp.
Nothing bad will happen if bike will flash red triangle on low oil pressure. Then you can decide for yourself: will you continue your ride and replace your engine as a consequence or maybe just pull over and there's a chance to fix it for relatively cheap.

·
Registered
233 Posts
@mynameisdaniil
I'm already looking forward to your research results.
Otherwise, it seems easy for me to put an additional warning light for myself.
The oil pressure switch has already been installed on the '14 -'16 nineTs

·
Registered
108 Posts
As an engineer myself I'm pretty sure there's only one reason: marketing division. BMW needs to push new bikes, just look at their financing plans. Don't know about US but in Russia they offer way better deal than any bank.
So, there's no other reason other than marketing division of BMW group. This way if engine of your bike fails it fails catastrophically. And you either have to replace it or better yet buy a new bike.
You can observe same strategy in modern smartphones, home appliances and pretty much every product of Apple corp.
Nothing bad will happen if bike will flash red triangle on low oil pressure. Then you can decide for yourself: will you continue your ride and replace your engine as a consequence or maybe just pull over and there's a chance to fix it for relatively cheap.
........ehhhhh, bad day in Berlin.
simpson2.gif

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
@mynameisdaniil
I'm already looking forward to your research results.
Otherwise, it seems easy for me to put an additional warning light for myself.
The oil pressure switch has already been installed on the '14 -'16 nineTs
It will take some time for required components/adapters/etc to arrive but my plan is to make this modification non-intrusive i.e. no modifications to bike electrical system.

·
Registered
108 Posts
...I await your white paper. I'm betting that you will incorporate a successful workaround.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts