BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Wow, sorry guys, not sure how I didn't see that there were more responses to this thread! Really good responses too! Thanks Blake, Blitz, Evan etc.

Yes, I don't think racing or taking things more seriously than the occasional track day is for me really. I can't afford it financially and for sure there would inevitably be some serious crashes etc although that doesn't put me off as much as the financial reality haha. I probably still put myself in far more danger commuting on my pushbike than racing on a motorbike tbh.

With that said, I did attend another track day last Monday. And I did actually get caught up in a crash which I was sure wasn't going to end well. Another rider low-sided in front of me just coming out of a left hander onto the main straight and as I was standing the bike up a bit and easing on the brakes to avoid it I felt another rider hit me in the side/rear wheel and get caught up in my bike - I was crossed up and out of shape but I managed to keep it upright as I came to a stop - in the adrenaline fuelled slow-motion moment that I've experienced many times before during crashes racing pushbikes I was sure I was going down and just delaying the inevitable but ended up coming to a stop still upright. A rider was jammed up in my back wheel with his leg jutting through the gap between the wheel and subframe. The back of his knee was over the tyre, front of knee in the rear shock, and laying on his back! He was fine thankfully. Although we were then stuck near the racing line in the exit of a blind-crest left hander and nearly got hit by three bikes comingby at speed (hadn't seen the red flag or the flag hadn't been raised early enough). If not for my waving up high two riders said they would have hit us for sure.

Bike was relatively unscathed. Burned on leather on the exhaust, bent tail tidy aluminium number plate bracket and wheel rim scraped a bit. Continued with the other 4 sessions of the day but it did make me ride more cautiously.

I took some video. Video was all after the incident so a little slower and more careful. Video is in 4k but you might haveto manually select the higher resolution.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Cheers, Dom

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Wow, sorry guys, not sure how I didn't see that there were more responses to this thread! Really good responses too! Thanks Blake, Blitz, Evan etc.

Yes, I don't think racing or taking things more seriously than the occasional track day is for me really. I can't afford it financially and for sure there would inevitably be some serious crashes etc although that doesn't put me off as much as the financial reality haha. I probably still put myself in far more danger commuting on my pushbike than racing on a motorbike tbh.

With that said, I did attend another track day last Monday. And I did actually get caught up in a crash which I was sure wasn't going to end well. Another rider low-sided in front of me just coming out of a left hander onto the main straight and as I was standing the bike up a bit and easing on the brakes to avoid it I felt another rider hit me in the side/rear wheel and get caught up in my bike - I was crossed up and out of shape but I managed to keep it upright as I came to a stop - in the adrenaline fuelled slow-motion moment that I've experienced many times before during crashes racing pushbikes I was sure I was going down and just delaying the inevitable but ended up coming to a stop still upright. A rider was jammed up in my back wheel with his leg jutting through the gap between the wheel and subframe. The back of his knee was over the tyre, front of knee in the rear shock, and laying on his back! He was fine thankfully. Although we were then stuck near the racing line in the exit of a blind-crest left hander and nearly got hit by three bikes comingby at speed (hadn't seen the red flag or the flag hadn't been raised early enough). If not for my waving up high two riders said they would have hit us for sure.

Bike was relatively unscathed. Burned on leather on the exhaust, bent tail tidy aluminium number plate bracket and wheel rim scraped a bit. Continued with the other 4 sessions of the day but it did make me ride more cautiously.

I took some video. Video was all after the incident so a little slower and more careful.

Cheers, Dom
We found the video footage!

👍
Haha. Yep that's it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Some low res images from Monday. Waiting on high res to be sent.

I will say that raising the rear up 35mm really helped and the bike feels much better on and off track. More nimble and more ground clearance too. I was able to use nearly the whole front S22 without head or peg clearance issues, which is more than I had used in the past. Maybe 1-2mm of unused tyre left on the front.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Bicycle tire Automotive tire

I lowered the air gap in the front to 125mm from 140mm but was still bottoming under brakes in one corner. Will add more oil. I'd like to get some clip ons to get lower at the front but would like to machine up some adaptors to move the Gilles rearsets back another 25-30mm first.

Cheers, Dom

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Helmet

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Helmet Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Motorcycle Helmet

Tire Helmet Wheel Sports gear Motorcycle helmet

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 R NineT - Blue Planet Metallic w/ 719 billet options
66 Posts
Enjoyed the video and glad you came out unscathed from that on track issue with the other rider. Three comments:

1. Never seen a track entrance with a U turn like that.
2. R NineT torque really gives the in line 4's a fit.
3. The guy who passed you in PRO MODE and then blew through turn 5 soon thereafter = Priceless. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Enjoyed the video and glad you came out unscathed from that on track issue with the other rider. Three comments:

1. Never seen a track entrance with a U turn like that.
2. R NineT torque really gives the in line 4's a fit.
3. The guy who passed you in PRO MODE and then blew through turn 5 soon thereafter = Priceless. :ROFLMAO:
Yeah the 9T really has great punch out of corners, just lacks a bit of top end speed (power and aero I guess). A 1000cc 4 cylinder can hit 230+kph on those short straights while I can only get about 195kph (GPS speed) from the 9T. I'm sure I could accelerate harder out of the corners and take better lines to improve that though.

Haha, yeah I love point 3 too!

Cheers, Dom

·
Registered
851 Posts
Yeah the 9T really has great punch out of corners, just lacks a bit of top end speed (power and aero I guess). A 1000cc 4 cylinder can hit 230+kph on those short straights while I can only get about 195kph (GPS speed) from the 9T. I'm sure I could accelerate harder out of the corners and take better lines to improve that though.

Haha, yeah I love point 3 too!

Cheers, Dom
Reminds me of a classic bike race I saw many years back, the Norton Manx bikes were always ahead in the twisties, but the TZ 350's came out ahead in the straightways.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Well, I decided to add a stablemate to the 9T that will likely take over all future track duties. Although I think i'll still get the 9T out on track occasionally - it's just too much fun. I think they might be lost cousins - both are Euro Twins, have cable throttles, trellis frames and aluminium tanks! A Ducati 848 Evo Corse SE. Statutory write off so can't be road registered so track bike only.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Plant

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Fuel tank

Cheers, Dom

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Nice bike.........and nice tyres!!

Power RS/GP .....awesome grippers!!.
Thanks mate. The tyres came on the bike and will be coming off - they are 5 years old and pretty badly cold-torn and close to limit anyway. I'll probably put something like Supercorsa SC2's or Metzler Racetek K2's on. Lots of things to do before first ride on track though - timing belts, check valve clearances, all fluids and filters, chain, sprockets, tyres etc.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Seriously nice ride Dom.
Used to race a long time ago. Then I got old. Quit for about 20 years and then did a couple track days about a year ago. Came to the conclusion it was to risky and hung up the leathers for good, but after picking up my R9T, reading this thread and being at a couple track days with my car and watching the bikes I really really want to take the R9T to one. But I’ll be smart and live vicariously through you all.
Thanks for the posts, pics and videos.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Like your new bike.
I see that Gen 1 Miata hiding in the back round.
Thanks mate, I'm really looking forward to giving that 848 a try - just need to get the frame checked out and possible tweaked a little - i think it has a little twist in it. Then need to do a full service - belts, valve clesrances etc but i'm super excited to see how it feels. Yeah, I love that little Miata - light, low, analogue, simple but great sense of connection.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Thanks mate, I'm really looking forward to giving that 848 a try - just need to get the frame checked out and possible tweaked a little - i think it has a little twist in it. Then need to do a full service - belts, valve clesrances etc but i'm super excited to see how it feels. Yeah, I love that little Miata - light, low, analogue, simple but great sense of connection.
I have one also.
I know exactly what you mean.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Well, I have a set of AC Schnitzer forged alloy wheels on the way. Will save about 4.5kg of un-sprung, rotating mass from the bike and should, hopefully be a noticeable improvement in handling, ride and acceleration. Now I'm super tempted to try it out on track again haha - also rekindled my desire to finalise my weight saving regimen by getting the single Akra can, as well as throwing on some clip-ons and maybe one day a racer cowl (gets expensive given you also need the subframe).

Bike would be about 199kg wet with the single Akra can and ACS wheels, and with the handling/acceleration benefits of the light wheels I'm super pumped to try it out - and it has me dreaming of trying a race on it (in the Australian BEARS Racing F4 category which the 9T falls into along with bikes like the Thruxton 1200R etc).

Cheers,

Dom

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
DomNineT, I have a set of Giles rear sets on order and they should be here in about 4 weeks. Are you running a quick shifter? If so, What make?
Hey mate, nice. No, i'm not running a quick shifter and have no plans to atm. Next on my list is that single akra can, and then a rapidbike evo unit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, I decided to add a stablemate to the 9T that will likely take over all future track duties. Although I think i'll still get the 9T out on track occasionally - it's just too much fun. I think they might be lost cousins - both are Euro Twins, have cable throttles, trellis frames and aluminium tanks! A Ducati 848 Evo Corse SE. Statutory write off so can't be road registered so track bike only.

View attachment 152690

View attachment 152692

View attachment 152691

View attachment 152689

Cheers, Dom
What’s a beautiful ride.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Nice write up and photos Dom. Understand your passion :) . I did some track days on my nineT, was fun, but I love it too much to do it very often. Gambo is 100% right - if you want to be faster, you need to push harder and you will crash, that’s for sure. Instead of that I have track bike for track days (MV Agusta F3) and I enjoy nineT on mountain curvy roads.
Hi yes i also did a track day on my 2017 scrambler, on Bridgestone AX41s tyres, I planned to do half the day on the RnT and then get my F3 800 i had at the time, i was was having so much fun and learning more about my scrambler i didn't bother to swap bikes, I found i was only about 10 seconds slower on the BMW, at about 1.59 compared to 1.48 average on other bikes including the F3 ( it was a very cold day on track with the BMW) so i felt the BMW went really very well considering its weight, tyres, stock suspension.- I also found it got up to 200kph pretty well on the back straight compared to my Husqvarna Nuda at 105hp and 100nm but weighing 179kg and as comparison, it is on this bike i lapped my quickest time at 1.44. The MV F3 while it would be / I should be quicker i could never ride fully gelled with this bike in fear of dropping it and it is less forgiving i.e. less warning when it goes wrong- i have more near crashes on this bike than anything else ( is that true for your experience?) however i was running stock Pirelli Rosso Corsa 2 and ive not liked those on track on a ZX9r either, if ever i has a surprise slide on a track day its always been on rosso2's going back to 2010 - 2014 compounds may have changed by now. I've recently swapped a car for a 2003 RSV1000r I'm keen to see what i will do on this bike: I think some of my restrictions to being fast is more my perceived expression of speed, than the ultimate capability of the bike , 1) others will be quicker than me regardless of their machine eg sv650 class or a 250cc 2 stoke have passed me , 2) i always average a similar lap time regardless of the bike 3) I'm quicker at the end of a track season than if i have had a bit of time away from the track. I'll only do 2- 3 track days a year usually and very keen to stay upright. For reference our superbike lap record is 1.28, a track day rider under 1.40 is going pretty well club racing standards. when you look around the paddock at the sub 1.40s class they all have road rash leathers so I'm quite happy at the 1.45 - 1.50 and enjoy the day with some margins.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts