BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have been riding my 9T since the summer of 2018, and I have rarely came across other 9T's here in the Pacific Northwest (I saw a total of 3 on the road since then). I just came back from a trip to Spain and saw 7 R NineT's in 2 weeks. Looks like Spaniards love our bike and BMW's in general (I also saw a lot of GS's there). Any of you noticed a higher 9T ownership in courtiers/regions other than your onw?

Cheers and stay cool y'all ... the world is burning out there!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not around the Massachusetts north shore or southern New Hampshire. Just Harleys followed by other Harleys. 馃槅
I did a grand tour of New England during the summer of 2019, and I do remember seeing a lot of Harleys out there! THE PNW is similar that way, although we have quite a few GS enthusiasts as well around here.

Premium Member
Just once in a while I see a sports bike or Triumph or BMW which is usually a GS.

Premium Member
Itinerate Jackass
I see about one a month not counting the peeps i know that ride them. Tend to cluster close to dealerships it seems. It's funny how most don't seem to respond to a wave. I attribute this to two possible reasons.
1. They so want to be the belle of the hipster ball and resent someone else on an R9T stealing their thunder.
OR
2. They recognize me.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see about one a month not counting the peeps i know that ride them. Tend to cluster close to dealerships it seems. It's funny how most don't seem to respond to a wave. I attribute this to two possible reasons.
1. They so want to be the belle of the hipster ball and resent someone else on an R9T stealing their thunder.
OR
2. They recognize me.
@BlitzSchnell had the best explanation for HD riders reluctance to wave at other riders: They are too scared to let go of the handlebar!
I do have my issues with some HD riders, but I am done articulating them here since I do not want to come across as being completely biased ;) Let me just state that BMW, Moto Guzzi, Triumph, and Ducati riders feel more my brethren than the HD crowd...so no love is lost with a denied wave!

Registered
I'm just outside Seattle and I see em all the time. Theres at least 3 others in the parking garage I use downtown. And two others on the island I live on, including another rider with an Urban GS. Saw a Racer last weekend in Georgetown, and used to live a block away from someone who had a Racer as well.

I see Ducati and Harleys a lot more frequently though. Harleys and baggers in general, more so with riders from the peninsula at the ferry terminal I use.

Premium Member
Itinerate Jackass
@BlitzSchnell had the best explanation for HD riders reluctance to wave at other riders: They are too scared to let go of the handlebar!
I do have my issues with some HD riders, but I am done articulating them here since I do not want to come across as being completely biased ;) Let me just state that BMW, Moto Guzzi, Triumph, and Ducati riders feel more my brethren than the HD crowd...so no love is lost with a denied wave!
I was talking about R9T riders.
Who cares if hd riders wave or not. I used to be one and I waved to everyone. I have a hard enough time thinking for myself and i know they don't have any room in their cowboy/pirate brains for me with all the Murica! Lone wolf, don't tread on me! Murica Taking up space. 馃ス

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm just outside Seattle and I see em all the time. Theres at least 3 others in the parking garage I use downtown. And two others on the island I live on, including another rider with an Urban GS. Saw a Racer last weekend in Georgetown, and used to live a block away from someone who had a Racer as well.

I see Ducati and Harleys a lot more frequently though. Harleys and baggers in general, more so with riders from the peninsula at the ferry terminal I use.
I got to get out more it seems!

Premium Member

Hi all,
I have been riding my 9T since the summer of 2018, and I have rarely came across other 9T's here in the Pacific Northwest (I saw a total of 3 on the road since then). I just came back from a trip to Spain and saw 7 R NineT's in 2 weeks. Looks like Spaniards love our bike and BMW's in general (I also saw a lot of GS's there). Any of you noticed a higher 9T ownership in courtiers/regions other than your onw?

Cheers and stay cool y'all ... the world is burning out there!
I've been all over the place and have interacted with all kinds of riders. Motorbikes are the most regional vehicles (except for Marin County, California and Tesla's) that I can think of. If I ride to Alice's Restaurant in SF Bay area there are Italian bikes galore, it I'm riding on a Sunday Morning in the North SF Bay there is every form of new and/or clapped out Japanese sport bike you could think of with riders all having scrapped leathers. In the mid-west and Rockies HD's are the most prevalent. I did find that in New England there were a lot of older motorbikes of all kinds and I wonder if that's because they spend time parked because of the winters.

Rather than drone on the one thing I really am surprised about motorbikes is how the riders, no matter what they're on are friendly and tend to give you a wave or talk to you at fuel stops. I'll never forget heading home from Canada and stopping for gas someplace in Wyoming. I was riding my ( GS with a aftermarket exhaust) BMW and had passed a group of Harley riders about 25 miles back. I was parked taking a breath and this huge guy comes over to where I was sitting. I then noticed he was a Patched member of a 1% club and I figured "oh boy here it comes" nope he says he noticed that I was from SF (CityBike Magazine sticker (local Biker Mag.)) on my saddle bags. All he said to me was they were just heading home from Sturgis, how far had I come (I didn't even know it was the Rally's weekend) and that they were part of the Oakland Chapter. Last thing he said was he liked the sound the flat twin made with the custom muffler.

I know we'd never be pals but it does show that some place in all our souls bikers are in some ways all alike.

Cheers

Premium Member
Itinerate Jackass
Well said @rich46.
I find that the vast majority of HD and metric riders wave and the ones that don't, don't matter.
Same with motorcycle broke down on the side of the road. I stop for everyone. I've had the pleasure of helping several 1%ers Get their bikes going, be at sparing a little fuel, oil, bailing wire, zip ties , extra water and or first aid. Most people tend to be good humans.

Registered
2015 BMW R Nine T Classic
I've been riding my nineT for over a year now and haven't seen a single other one on the road (other than at the local dealer) until last Sunday when I went to Ace Cafe (a popular bikers cafe) in London and found one parked next to me when I returned to my bike.

I went to a local bikers meet in Bedford and one guy stopped to chat with me saying he owned one but didn't ride it to the meet as he was with his daughter, but he equally never sees them and so was quite pleased to see mine.

I was looking for one when I went to Matlock Bath on a Sunday where literally thousands of bikes meet and not a single one could be seen.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've been riding my nineT for over a year now and haven't seen a single other one on the road (other than at the local dealer) until last Sunday when I went to Ace Cafe (a popular bikers cafe) in London and found one parked next to me when I returned to my bike.

I went to a local bikers meet in Bedford and one guy stopped to chat with me saying he owned one but didn't ride it to the meet as he was with his daughter, but he equally never sees them and so was quite pleased to see mine.

I was looking for one when I went to Matlock Bath on a Sunday where literally thousands of bikes meet and not a single one could be seen.
A lot of this is up to luck, I think. Thanks to this forum I know that there are several 9T riders around here, yet I never bump into any of them!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was talking about R9T riders.
Who cares if hd riders wave or not. I used to be one and I waved to everyone. I have a hard enough time thinking for myself and i know they don't have any room in their cowboy/pirate brains for me with all the Murica! Lone wolf, don't tread on me! Murica Taking up space. 馃ス
Interesting...I had the complete opposite experience. BMW riders have always waved at me...so far. The last HD rider I encountered gave me the finger... he was irritated that I passed him (safely!), apparently :ROFLMAO:

Premium Member
I've been all over the place and have interacted with all kinds of riders. Motorbikes are the most regional vehicles (except for Marin County, California and Tesla's) that I can think of. If I ride to Alice's Restaurant in SF Bay area there are Italian bikes galore, it I'm riding on a Sunday Morning in the North SF Bay there is every form of new and/or clapped out Japanese sport bike you could think of with riders all having scrapped leathers. In the mid-west and Rockies HD's are the most prevalent. I did find that in New England there were a lot of older motorbikes of all kinds and I wonder if that's because they spend time parked because of the winters.

Rather than drone on the one thing I really am surprised about motorbikes is how the riders, no matter what they're on are friendly and tend to give you a wave or talk to you at fuel stops. I'll never forget heading home from Canada and stopping for gas someplace in Wyoming. I was riding my ( GS with a aftermarket exhaust) BMW and had passed a group of Harley riders about 25 miles back. I was parked taking a breath and this huge guy comes over to where I was sitting. I then noticed he was a Patched member of a 1% club and I figured "oh boy here it comes" nope he says he noticed that I was from SF (CityBike Magazine sticker (local Biker Mag.)) on my saddle bags. All he said to me was they were just heading home from Sturgis, how far had I come (I didn't even know it was the Rally's weekend) and that they were part of the Oakland Chapter. Last thing he said was he liked the sound the flat twin made with the custom muffler.

I know we'd never be pals but it does show that some place in all our souls bikers are in some ways all alike.

Cheers
Great attitude @rich46 鈥 I鈥檝e had similar experiences with HD鈥檈rs. In the beginning of my ownership of Blitz my Beemer I tried riding with a half-dozen groups of bikers including some clubs that didn鈥檛 actually exclude any particular kinds of motorbikes but none the less were ALL HD鈥檚 anyway. Nice group of mates but for me it was a like a duck running with a flock of chickens 鈥 I just didn鈥檛 fit in. They treated me like a visiting fellow biker .. turns out their right, it lasted for three rides and I was off to the next group 鈥. I tried that for about a year on and off with many types of clubs and decided I鈥檇 just stay a lone wolf and ride .. if and when and with who I chose from now on. I tend to want to make my own decisions and I don鈥檛 usually enjoy following so group stuff doesn鈥檛 appeal much to me, at least full time鈥 and most of these groups want your allegiance too.
If you are to pledge, it鈥檚 exclusive to that club 鈥. That鈥檚 crap ! I ride where and with whom I choose鈥 end !
I kind of feel sorry for HD riders, I don鈥檛 think most of them even know that they bought into an illusion ..and I know most of them have never even ridden a big Beemer. 鈥.. I feel when your about to float a lone for 10K 鈥 (HD) 鈥 how much more is it going to hurt to go for 15K 鈥(BMW) 鈥 if you actually knew how much more motorcycle that extra 5 would buy you .. I don鈥檛 think you鈥檇 hesitate and go for the BMW. I think most HD guys just didn鈥檛 get that memo in time and ended up with a sagging reputation instead of bad-ass Beemer 鈥 Sad but true. Some pretty machines but far from the top of the food chain ..
These days, If I can tell it鈥檚 an HD coming at me down the street, 鈥 don鈥檛 wave unless he does And I鈥檓 noticing I鈥檓 getting more waves and nod鈥檚 than I used too.
Maybe I was just to anxious to make a friend UpOn2鈥︹.鈥︹..Blitz
GoFast-HaveFun Get out of the grand stands of life and get in the game, there鈥檚 still time !

Premium Member
Itinerate Jackass
Interesting...I had the complete opposite experience. BMW riders have always waved at me...so far. The last HD rider I encountered gave me the finger... he was irritated that I passed him (safely!), apparently :ROFLMAO:
Bmw riders do wave. R9T riders, not so much.

Premium Member
Baloo,
Having been all sorts of sport baike I'm not thinking it's so much the R 9 T sitting position. Then again could just be that they are more the entry level rider and don't get your meaning. I've gotten some pretty strange looks when I go by some kid on a sport bike and pat the top of my noggin 'cause I just saw the PoPo parked around the corner.

Registered
2018 Urban G/S
I'm in SW Oregon, and I have never seen any R9T in the wild. Even when I went to an event put on by my local BMW dealer, where there were over 50 bikes there, mine was the only R9T. When I was leaving, one guy walked up and asked what it was, out of genuine interest.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts