BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
I'm in SW Oregon, and I have never seen any R9T in the wild. Even when I went to an event put on by my local BMW dealer, where there were over 50 bikes there, mine was the only R9T. When I was leaving, one guy walked up and asked what it was, out of genuine interest.
We must have gotten the only R 9 Racer in southern Oregon. After a woman ran a STOP and totaled my first Racer in northern California and while I was still in Hospital my wife found one in a southern Oregon and went up and got it as a get well present. True story and the STOP runner paid the bill.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Up in Jockland there are a few but far from common.

On a couple of popular bike stops all sorts of bikes appear, mostly adventure and sports bikes with the odd Harley, only seen R9Ts 2 or 3 times and see a lot more RRs.

The other day I came across another Racer, that's only the first other one I've seen since getting mine.

Genuinely surprised me how few people are familiar with them.

Even BMW riders and how much attenion it and positive comments it gets (except when I'm riding it of course)

·
Registered
325 Posts
I was talking about R9T riders.
Who cares if hd riders wave or not. I used to be one and I waved to everyone. I have a hard enough time thinking for myself and i know they don't have any room in their cowboy/pirate brains for me with all the Murica! Lone wolf, don't tread on me! Murica Taking up space. 🥹
In NW NJ pretty much everyone waves. Personally I don't like the incessant waving but out of courtesy I do indeed always wave back. I have seen 1 other RNT in two years of ownership. I see many other BMW models yet just 1 RNT. I suggest that you keep practicing thinking for yourself, you'll get it eventually, Murica :)

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
I'm in SW Oregon, and I have never seen any R9T in the wild. Even when I went to an event put on by my local BMW dealer, where there were over 50 bikes there, mine was the only R9T. When I was leaving, one guy walked up and asked what it was, out of genuine interest.
I get a lot of HD riders coming up to me and looking at my R9T or V7 Motor Guzzi and asking me what type or brand motorcycle is that?

Not all but most have no knowledge or interest in other brands.

Reactions: TimC and Baloo

·
Premium Member
Itinerate Jackass
1,602 Posts
In NW NJ pretty much everyone waves. Personally I don't like the incessant waving but out of courtesy I do indeed always wave back. I have seen 1 other RNT in two years of ownership. I see many other BMW models yet just 1 RNT. I suggest that you keep practicing thinking for yourself, you'll get it eventually, Murica :)
Thank you for the advice. I hope I can get my act together.
Wait a minute, I own an R9T! I am above the fray already and I am a damn good looking man. Thanks for helping me see my true greatness.
Now I must get back to my photo shoot. Those before pics for the diet ads are not going to snap themselves.
Oh yeah, Murica!!!!! Cause freedom costs a buck- o- five!

·
Registered
2021 R nine T
69 Posts
In Calgary, Alberta I haven't seen a single other R nine T. We have a TON of Triumphs, like literally everywhere. When I've done my bigger trips into Vancouver and throughout BC, I again haven't seen Any R nine T's. I've made a post on this site about local Calgary rides, but haven't heard of any other Calgary riders.

I also wave every time, unless my attention is elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
In Calgary, Alberta I haven't seen a single other R nine T. We have a TON of Triumphs, like literally everywhere. When I've done my bigger trips into Vancouver and throughout BC, I again haven't seen Any R nine T's. I've made a post on this site about local Calgary rides, but haven't heard of any other Calgary riders.

I also wave every time, unless my attention is elsewhere.
I must admit that most of the time I have no idea what is coming at me until they're right near my front wheel leaving me no time to do anything but wave. So I must assume that the other guys have the same reactions. I also mite add that I often can tell it's a Harley or Indian because most of those sit lower but f#*k it I just wave at everybody even Vespa's (if no one rats me out I once owned a Vespa GS) 'cause I figure bikers gota stick together or the peeps in Washington will just decide they are far too dangerous and ban them.

Cheers

·
Registered
205 Posts
Didn't meet many 9T's even in Germany (around where I live).
There are some spots and different parts of Germany where nineT drivers meet and drive together for a coffee or weekend or so.
As for me, I avoid bike meetin' spots and just go for my own any time and distance I want to.
I'm waving or nod to mostly anybody, who pass me with a 2-wheeler :D
Also HD drivers and especially here in Germany GS-Tourers drive like they're frozen on their bikes and cannnot seperate their left hand for a greet.

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
2,067 Posts
I'm not sure I've seen another R9T on the local roads or during my trips in the nearly two years I've owned my 2020 Pure. I did see one at parked at the local Beemer dealer shop the day of an event there, but I think that's been it. (And I struck up a conversation with the owner that day.) Kind of sad, really, but then again I like the feeling my bike is different and more rare than not. It appeals to the inner non-conformist in me!

I suspect one reason we don't see more R9Ts on the road, at least here in the US, is most R9T owners seem to own more than one bike, and the R9T probably isn't the one they ride the most.

As for the biker wave, I wave to everyone on any kind of motorcycle - even scooter riders. If fellow riders don't wave back, that's their problem, not mine. ;)

By the way, I would add that I believe I get more waves from HD riders on my R9T than I did on my old Honda VFR. I think when some Harley folks see a sportbike looking bike (like a VFR with its twin headlights) they're just automatically not going to wave back. But with a single round headlight like our bikes have, I think they're more receptive or respectful to this style of motorcycle. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2018 UGS
71 Posts
except for Marin County, California and Tesla's
you're not kidding! And the problem is they all seem to set their autopilot for 66 MPH in the fast lane while they nap in the back seat....

I'm just few klicks South of you and wish I could pick up your TFX but don't think it'd fit my UGS.

·
Banned
12 Posts
Hi all,
I have been riding my 9T since the summer of 2018, and I have rarely came across other 9T's here in the Pacific Northwest (I saw a total of 3 on the road since then). I just came back from a trip to Spain and saw 7 R NineT's in 2 weeks. Looks like Spaniards love our bike and BMW's in general (I also saw a lot of GS's there). Any of you noticed a higher 9T ownership in courtiers/regions other than your onw?

Cheers and stay cool y'all ... the world is burning out there!
Not yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
239 Posts
In ten months of R9T ownership (one hour south of Sydney) I'm still to see another one on the road BUT I'm told there are two that regularly stop at one of those bike coffee and talk places (Bald Hill).
As far as waving goes I've given up and don't wave to anyone these days, it's a lost courtesy. Back in the 60's we waved to all, actually if we saw a similar bike to our own we'd stop and talk. In 1969 I stopped to talk with a stranger riding a similar 650 Triumph to mine, we are still close friends even though I stole his girlfriend and married her. Today is our wedding anniversary, 51 years.

·
Registered
100 Posts
In CT USA, I think I’ve seen 2 9T’s in the wild since they were first released. I saw one parked one the streets of NYC about 7 years ago… and I saw one on the road in CT about a year ago. Quite rare to my eyes.

·
Premium Member
Itinerate Jackass
1,602 Posts
I will offer a venue once again for an R9T gathering in the Shenandoah valley of Virginia to see what happens when more than three R9Ts gather in one place.
Not much interest shown in the past for this but I attribute it to the #2 reason stated in my earlier post.

·
Registered
80 Posts
In Bellingham, nestled between Seattle and Vancouver, BC, I've seen more than I expected this summer. I saw a 2016 classic ride into a dealership north of town, which, coincidentally has an Option 719 Scrambler on the floor. I met and had a very pleasant ride with another member of this forum. I saw another classic ride by my office window last week, and my father told me he sees one parked at WWU regularly. So by my count, that means at least 4 in this town, but maybe 6.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I will offer a venue once again for an R9T gathering in the Shenandoah valley of Virginia to see what happens when more than three R9Ts gather in one place.
Not much interest shown in the past for this but I attribute it to the #2 reason stated in my earlier post.
.....very possible, but that's funny right there.

·
Registered
70 Posts
@BlitzSchnell had the best explanation for HD riders reluctance to wave at other riders: They are too scared to let go of the handlebar!
I do have my issues with some HD riders, but I am done articulating them here since I do not want to come across as being completely biased ;) Let me just state that BMW, Moto Guzzi, Triumph, and Ducati riders feel more my brethren than the HD crowd...so no love is lost with a denied wave!
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

👋👋👋

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
I live in Northern California near San Francisco. I don't see R9Ts too often although I know a lot of people have them here. Maybe it's a direction of my route as I commute a lot. I think in San Francisco city though there's more. Actually in the past few years I haven't seen as many motorcycle commuters that I have had before. I think more people are working from home that normally take their bikes.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts