BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that the factory settings on the rear shock and spring weren't really working for me. After some research, I discovered that the one-up setting described in the owner's manual is designed for someone weighing 187 lbs. Since I haven't seen 187 since 12th grade, I did a little research and was able to put together a perfect setup for myself. That led to my creating a chart, which will hopefully help everyone else in the community get in the ballpark with their suspension settings.

You can find the chart here: R NineT Rear Suspension Chart. I hope this is helpful, but please let me know what you think.

Justin

·
Registered
45 Posts
I noticed that the factory settings on the rear shock and spring weren't really working for me. After some research, I discovered that the one-up setting described in the owner's manual is designed for someone weighing 187 lbs. Since I haven't seen 187 since 12th grade, I did a little research and was able to put together a perfect setup for myself. That led to my creating a chart, which will hopefully help everyone else in the community get in the ballpark with their suspension settings.

You can find the chart here: R NineT Rear Suspension Chart. I hope this is helpful, but please let me know what you think.

Justin
Any chance that you can paste your chart in your post?
My computer (actually McAfee AV software) blocks the link you provided.

BJ

·
Registered
2,801 Posts

Justin
I love charts! You sir are awesome!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm pretty sure that any weight below 187 should be fine at the factory one-up setting. I'm at 328 with gear, so I guess I can help those that are a little on the "husky" side. Remember to weigh yourself with your gear on! My gear: helmet, boots, gloves and jacket adds nearly 30 lbs to my base weight, which makes a big difference.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts

Justin
I'm a bit dense at times. Little confused at the rebound. Of course the factory specs are back 1 turn for 2 up I believe, but 1.5 for one up. How does that compare to the chart....as you mention the factory settings at the end of the chart? Great chart btw, just need to clarify in my old addled brain.

·
Registered
913 Posts
30 pounds of gear? ow much pocket change are you guys carrying ?
use credit cards :)
if My Speedo's weigh more than 1 pound I leave them home :)

how much does a helmut usually wiegh I never looked into that but thats my whole weight is the helmut.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm a bit dense at times. Little confused at the rebound. Of course the factory specs are back 1 turn for 2 up I believe, but 1.5 for one up. How does that compare to the chart....as you mention the factory settings at the end of the chart? Great chart btw, just need to clarify in my old addled brain.
So the chart shows half turns because it's simpler to count them. So you choose your weight, make the correct number of half turns and then go back 1.5 turns (as stated in the owner's manual).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Plus one. As I read it, we are going clockwise all the way to full hard then backing off in the soft direction per the chart by weight then going back another 1.5 toward hard or soft?
Turn the screw fully clockwise, then find your weight and go the appropriate number of HALF turns counterclockwise. Then, go clockwise 1.5 turns.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just a note here that after setting it up for my weight it's like riding a completely different motorcycle. The bike is more stable in all facets of riding and it no longer feels wobbly in my lean. I recommend this to anyone with one of these bikes.

Justin

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Any chance that you can paste your chart in your post?
My computer (actually McAfee AV software) blocks the link you provided.

BJ
Spring Preload
Half Turns Weight (lbs) with Gear
1 195.9
2 204.8
3 213.7
4 222.6
5 231.5
6 240.4
7 249.3
8 258.2
9 267.1
10 276
11 284.9
12 293.8
13 302.7
14 311.6
15 320.5
16 329.4
17 338.3
18 347.2
19 356.1
20 365
21 373.9

Note: start with knob fully stopped counterlockwise then make half turns clockwise to the closest approximation of weight

Shock Rebound
Half Turns Weight (lbs) with Gear
1 210.375
2 233.75
3 257.125
4 280.5
5 303.875
6 327.25
7 350.625
8 374

Note: start with screw fully turned clockwise. Set by half turns counterclockwise and then turn a further 1.5 turns counterclockwise.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts