BMW NineT Forum banner

201 - 220 of 260 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Goddit! Good luck - hope it all works out, and look forward to pix in due course.

Reactions: nervous

·
Registered
620 Posts
Well done - you're doing better than I! I do LURV the rhs (rear) wheel design...

·
Registered
367 Posts
Well done - you're doing better than I! I do LURV the rhs (rear) wheel design...
They are handsome wheels and honestly both in better shape than I expected. The rear is the better of the two and the front has some scuffs and such but from ground level you have to look really hard to see them and they're not that noticable in the grand scheme especially once the rotors go on and such so I may be able to get by, at least for now, leaving as is and not having to go the powder coat route. thet are a slightly different sheen but you only can tell that side by side. I'll sleep on that a couple nights to see, think about colors, etc.

·
Registered
620 Posts
They are handsome wheels and honestly both in better shape than I expected. The rear is the better of the two and the front has some scuffs and such but from ground level you have to look really hard to see them and they're not that noticable in the grand scheme especially once the rotors go on and such so I may be able to get by, at least for now, leaving as is and not having to go the powder coat route. thet are a slightly different sheen but you only can tell that side by side. I'll sleep on that a couple nights to see, think about colors, etc.

If it doesn't cost a King's ransom to have them powder-coated my inclination would be to go for it - if not you may regret and then have to go through the whole removal and refit drama again. Just IMHO...

·
Registered
25 Posts
i`ve been following this thread with interest. My preference purely from the con side of tubed wheels would be to go down the cast wheel swap out. I notice comparing my 2018 racer front spoke wheel that Bmw have reduced the size of the abs sensing ring from the original 2013 r9t. Therefore making a 1st/2nd generation R12r/F 800 front swap out a non starter. My 2016 3rd gen r12r front wheel appears to have the same size abs sensing ring as my racer. I may get round to removing both fronts from the bikes and comparing them once my lockdown garden programme is complete.

Chris

·
Registered
367 Posts
Wrestling with some color coices here before I drop these to the powder coater tomorrow. Given the monochrome pallette of this 9T there's no wrong choice but more a matter of light or dark.

I initiallty settled on a metallic gray shade called Kingsport Gray. Depending on the light it's not far from the original wheel color, perhaps a tad darker but with more visual interest.

With a high gloss clear coat:

With a low gloss clear coat

Or... do I go with a lighter BMW silver that matches all the other silver bits, seat brackets, bars and mounts, front fender mount, etc?

Found this in another post from a while back, using that exact plan:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm sorry to say this, but none of us on here are going to have to look at it/ride it everyday. It's gonna be you. So it doesn't matter that I love the dark grey that looks quite positively gorgeous in the light, and Ian prefers the silver...

·
Administrator
11,224 Posts
I like the silver wheels, but it's your bike mate. :)

Either choice will look great, I think.

·
Registered
620 Posts
You will only satisfy everyone here - well, you did ask! - if you do one wheel silver, the other metallic grey: but then some will quibble that the front should be X and not Y, etc.!

Personally - I'd go light silver to give an overall visual 'lift' on this bike which, TBH, can be a bit sombre in standard colours. One reason why I somewhat painstakingly painted in silver the mounting bracket on my new originally all-black PUIG rear hugger, giving a definite 'lift' there. Whatever, exciting stuff! Well done..

LATER EDIT - if I can get my dealer off his arse to complete his quote for me (if indeed he has ever started on it!) I'll be ordering the curved pattern as on your new rear wheel. IF I can afford it!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Wheels are now with the powder coater. I know you were all breathlessly awaiting my choice and after endless hours vacillation light or dark and knowing there is no bad choice I went with the darker Kingsport Gray w/ gloss clear just for it's uniquity and visual impact, a nice opportunity to add a subtle yet special visual detail that the plain silver wouldn't do. Thanks all and stay tuned for pics!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Is it too late to change your mind, nervous?

·
Registered
620 Posts
LATER EDIT - if I can get my dealer off his arse to complete his quote for me (if indeed he has ever started on it!) I'll be ordering the curved pattern as on your new rear wheel. IF I can afford it!

Even later edit: just spoke to my dealer who seems to be under a bit of pressure and who apologised for 'forgetting' me! He is to send me some pix of what he thinks will suit, referring to wheels off an R1200 RS (slightly sportier version of the cooking R). Meantime I'll try to look up some pix of that machine to see what's what, wheel-wise, although from memory the shaft-drive is on the opposite side to that on the R9T.

Whatever, I have pretty much made up my mind that it's cast wheels or nothing: I do like the appearance of some of the alternative tube-free spoke wheels as discussed here, but cannot quite convince myself that they'd be fool- (leak)-proof in the longer-term.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Even later edit: just spoke to my dealer who seems to be under a bit of pressure and who apologised for 'forgetting' me! He is to send me some pix of what he thinks will suit, referring to wheels off an R1200 RS (slightly sportier version of the cooking R). Meantime I'll try to look up some pix of that machine to see what's what, wheel-wise, although from memory the shaft-drive is on the opposite side to that on the R9T.

Whatever, I have pretty much made up my mind that it's cast wheels or nothing: I do like the appearance of some of the alternative tube-free spoke wheels as discussed here, but cannot quite convince myself that they'd be fool- (leak)-proof in the longer-term.
Good luck with that, I am thinking that from looking up the associated wheel part numbers on RealOem that certain part numbers relating to axle components differ from my 2016 LC R to my 2018 racer. I plan to take out my fronts on both bikes and see for myself if the lc R front will fit my Racer. I bought a Gen 1 R rear in very good condition. It will get painted (my tyre levers are no respecters of K2 or PC) I have not ruled out the Outex Stickum job. Definitely ruled out the Alpina wheel. Keep us informed. As it stands I may have reduced my chance of puncture roadside recovery by 50pc. Happy days!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Thanks boxerscott. By putting the whole thing in the hands of the local dealership, whose Service Manager I have a lot of faith and confidence in (although he is 'on the tools' and doesn't interface directly with customers), I assumed I was doing the right thing. I even helped things along by passing-on some of the detailed parts info from nervous (#181 above), but I'm now getting pretty disillusioned with that dealership and am still awaiting the promised photos of the wheels. It's a long shot, but I think I'll start down the track that nervous took and start looking on-line for some discarded wheels... maybe from a wrecker's yard. Or just forget it and stop obsessing needlessly about the risk of puncture, for after all I now have a decent Roadside Assist to help me in case of need!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks boxerscott. By putting the whole thing in the hands of the local dealership, whose Service Manager I have a lot of faith and confidence in (although he is 'on the tools' and doesn't interface directly with customers), I assumed I was doing the right thing. I even helped things along by passing-on some of the detailed parts info from nervous (#181 above), but I'm now getting pretty disillusioned with that dealership and am still awaiting the promised photos of the wheels. It's a long shot, but I think I'll start down the track that nervous took and start looking on-line for some discarded wheels... maybe from a wrecker's yard. Or just forget it and stop obsessing needlessly about the risk of puncture, for after all I now have a decent Roadside Assist to help me in case of need!
Agreed. I am now starting to fret about roadside recovery. That is the trouble with group think. I have had only one puncture in the last 20 years, a rear and it was beyond repair from a roadside fix. All sealed fluid systems leak , tubed tyres as well as tubeless. It is the rate at which they leak and keeping it manageable that counts.I can tell you that i carry a good tubeless puncture repair kit with me and I only use it to get others back on their way! I always take it on weekends and holidays away it is a sure fire way of avoiding a puncture for oneself! I doubt that a front 3rd Gen wheel from an R is compatible with the later R 9t with smaller abs sensing ring. I doubt i would have not given a monkeys about it if I had not read every single post on here about it. A 3rd gen R rear wheel would theoretically run in the opposite direction to the indication arrows on the wheels casting. I have enjoyed reading all the posts and picked up some valuable info. I also spent time you tubing a lot of "Stickum" conversions which i found highly intriguing. I x £15 of 70ml Nuclear Stickum v £1250 Alpina wheel. All that aside as a Boxer fan for many years this Hex Head engine is bloody marvellous. Lets celebrate that;)

Chris

·
Registered
620 Posts
Agreed! I've been celebrating hex-heads for years, which is why I always come back after straying - albeit briefly - from the straight and narrow!

201 - 220 of 260 Posts