BMW NineT Forum banner
241 - 260 of 267 Posts
@nervous exceptional result!

All of the extra effort and attention to detail has certainly paid off. Great job on the wheels and cataloging the whole ordeal for the rest of us. There is great information contained in this thread.
My pleasure. And I often can't help myself with the stupid details. All this problem solving is equal parts maddening and satisfying. With endlessly below average temps and crappy weather here I am looking for things to fill my time and, I am happy to add what I can to the body of work for anyone else that might wander through like I did, filling the gaps and questions I had and building on all the good works and research of those that pioneered these things at the start. I am really thankful for that and all the help I receive here so I feel it's my small way of paying it back.

Great attention to detail, nervous - and if you hadn't done those cuppla little touch-ups they would have nagged you for ever! NIce job.

Reactions: nervous
So, here's what I can offer on weight differences from the Outex equipped spoke wheels to the R1200R alloys.

REAR
Outex/spoke w/ tire (no tube) - 28.7 lbs
R1200R alloy with tire - 25.4 lbs
a difference of 3.30 lbs

FRONT
Outex/spoke w/ tire (no tube) - 28.15 lbs
R1200R alloy with tire - 25.0 lbs
a difference of 3.15 lbs

If anyone ever measures their spoked assemblies with the tubes installed I can add to this list. Different tires may matter ut it's all ballpark enough for this purpose. I am thinking a tube has to weigh more than the Outex kit installed. Possibly as much a 1-1.5# per wheel. I think I expected something a bit more dramatic but weight savings wasn't really the goal.

And, happy day here! I can successfully report that the 2015 RnineT will painlessly mate with both the S1000RR forks and the R1200R wheels in a single package. A little modification of the speed sensor mount bracket, new RnineT front wheel seals and shorter rear wheel lugs were all that was required to bolt everything up as if it came that way. I half expected some instance of incompatibility somewhere but there was none for this grouping beyond what is already common knowledge.

It's a little dirty and the sky is overcast so no sparkle in this pic. But here it is together and rolling. I'll post some better ones once I get it washed and we get a sunny day. Really just about complete for allI wanted to do except for the Nitron R1 shock that is on order and should be here in the next couple weeks.

My sincerest thank-you's to all that did the hard work before me to make this all a very doable project for me.

Very well done indeed, nervous. It may have been a little trying at times, but the end justifies the means! And from a purely personal p.o.v., much as I like those spoke wheels, the R9T should have come with your wheels ex factory. In silver, of course...;)

nervous - I'm sure that I am only one of many here who would like an update on your first ride out with the new wheels, if indeed you've been able to hit roads yet. I'd be particularly keen to know if you find any difference in the handling, steering, and 'feel' that you'd attribute to the lesser weight of the new cast wheels. TIA...

Reactions: Dauphinais
nervous - I'm sure that I am only one of many here who would like an update on your first ride out with the new wheels, if indeed you've been able to hit roads yet. I'd be particularly keen to know if you find any difference in the handling, steering, and 'feel' that you'd attribute to the lesser weight of the new cast wheels. TIA...
Hey Lawrence,

I have the same wheels on mine, and can tell you when I had them put on I rode home that same day. When I got on the highway and started accelerating I remember clearly how peppy it felt vs the spoke and inner tube rims. Also at high speed 180km/h and up, it didn't vibrate as much as the spokes. But that could have been due to the slightly buckled rim I had previously on the front. Hehehe.

I have been out a few times now and honestly I am not feeling anything better or worse worth reporting. In my case I don't know if 3-3.5# of lowered unsprung weight per wheel assy made any noticeable difference. I wish I had more. It felt great before and feels as good now. Acceleration and overall handling really feel the same to me. Not a disappointment, just my observation. But going easy breaking in a new fronttire has slowed me a bit for now. My mental focus while riding has really been more on the new fork feel as I play with subtle changes in those setings to gauge their cause and effect but I have nothing to report on the wheel change beyond the incredible ease of tire pressure checks and adjustment, and the peace of mind for easy roadside small puncture repair should that ever occur. I have the Dynaplug kit and small Stop-n-Go complessor in my small side bag and they take up very little space or weight.

Thanks, both nervous and kristoe. Food for thought with both experiences. I appreciate your inputs! Having finally ditched the OUTEX approach I'm back on the track of trying to source some second-hand wheels after an earlier contact failed.

Thanks, both nervous and kristoe. Food for thought with both experiences. I appreciate your inputs! Having finally ditched the OUTEX approach I'm back on the track of trying to source some second-hand wheels after an earlier contact failed.
You're most welcome. I guess everyones motivation would be different no matter what changes are made. Bar, pegs, screens, doo-dads whatever. That's what makes it fun and personal. Injected withe the truth serum I have to say I like the spoked look better. It's perfect for the original aesthetic. That said, with the majority of my road riding being rural or more removed from humanity I rewally like, perhaps need, the confidence that I can at the least, plug and fill a tire, in fairly short order, to get home. That's all. Maybe overkill but that's me. I know, a hundred other things can go wrong and strand you but crappy roads and road maintainence may be something I can preempt. You gotta do what makes you happy. And, perhaps just as large, it was a challenge presented and met. So much for me lately is "let's see if we can do that".

Nicely done, Hussar, with the inestimable advantage of having horizontal spoke-mounted tyre valves on at least the front (F800) wheel. I tried hard to locate some wheels, but failed, so back to the drawing-board. Like you, I really need that roadside-repair capability that just isn't there with tubes. Enjoy!

Reactions: Hussar
Big thanks to all on the forum for the info on the wheel swop, absolute cracking info. I now have an F800 front wheel and an r1200rt rear.

View attachment 133153

View attachment 133152

Very nice look. Is the rear wheel "Backwards". The right side drive cast wheels are like hens teeth, but it seems like left side drive water cooled cast wheels are easy to get. Did you have them painted for that color scheme?

I love this thread. Been looking at the AC Schnitzer wheels which are about 2k US before shipping. If I can find some used wheels that would be phenomenal.
I see nervous used r1200r wheels and stated 2010 to 2014 fit (my nine t is a 2016). Does anyone know if the 2015-2018 r1200r fit as that's all I can find in ebay.

Husar used a f800 wheel. what year is that from. was it the same drop in seals only? Sorry for the novice questions. love the look and would like to save some money if possible. Thanks in advance!

Hello,

So I've been scouring the forum ever since I came across this thread

I would really like to find some used r1200r wheels (seems to be hard to find 2012-2014 for) I do understand with the front wheels I have to go between 2011- 2014 r1200r (which I'm searching for). The rear wheels I've read that multiple fit. So I was wondering if anyone could guide me and let me know if 2015-2018 r1200r rear wheel would fit my 2016 r9t. Thanks in advance.

Having been there, done that as far as attempting to source some used wheels (and given up!) I strongly suggest a visit to your dealer to discuss this approach and get advice, as there are very many variables.

Reactions: takeiteaze
241 - 260 of 267 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.