BMW NineT Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I'd describe it as quirkily beautiful :)
Geez.......hope you don't say you fancy Susan Boyle Mr Learning!!! hehe

Agricultural?

I'd much prefer agricultural than bland, antiseptic, nondescript and soulless.....as many bikes are these days.

Reactions: Parkblu

·
Registered
2020,R Nine T Racer
12 Posts
In our little town we had 4 bicycle shops in the early ‘60s.
In ‘62 one shop had a Manx Norton in the front window. (Only room for 1 m cycle in widow).
1933 for £20. £20 being 3 weeks wages for me back then.
I bought it and pushed it 1 1/2 miles home were my dad said ‘Thars not worth a box of matches’
Obviously had no lights or number plates (Not that they mattered to me) and it also had (Apparently one of the ways to differentiate between Manx and Inter.) no provision for a kick starter. The other difference to an Inter. was (So I was told?) was the oil filler neck was on the opposite side.
Exhaust was just a megaphone about 4 to 5 inches across at the end.
Shop owner said it was tunes to run on Methanol, which meant nothing to me.
One day I bumped started it and rode it to where they had put a new road in for building an housing estate....got to the end of the road and when I turned round the local Police car was behind me. ( Reg number WTB 842) won’t forget that.
Magistrates Court, no tax, no insurance, no lights and no number plates...Fined total of £5.
After that we rode it on fields for a bit, then pushed it into the shed and left it. (I did have a new BSA C15 at the time that my Dad had bought for me.)
Some time later a young lad who’s Dad had a car repair garage in town called round and offered me £6, so he took it and made it into a 3 wheeled grass track combination.
Eventually it went to Young’s bike scrapyard in Rochdale.
I still see the lad that bought it off me and he was still racing old sidecar outfits (Not on grass) as recently as 3 years ago.
I also still see and talk to the son of the guy that sold it to me.
Funnily enough, those two guys married two sisters from our town.
Would bring more than 6 quid now, I think!
Ken.
I am the last of the "baby boomers" and the 50 cc Japanese bikes were popular amongst us as youngsters(usually a 100cc under guise of 50 cc),we found very few British bikes in RSA. The Jap bikes were reliable in terms of engines, but the frame and tires left a lot to desired. The 750 and larger engines were often capable of 180km plus, but the frame and tyres were not and quite often you ran out of options at 130/140 km/h. If you survived those bikes the modern bikes tend to be very boring. Also find that riders that should not be on a bike are driving at speeds of more than 200km/h and they do not know how fast they really are, we learned the hard way. Even today I still cruise at speeds of not more than 130/140 and sometimes I will push it a bit. We have very good and open roads in RSA and they are very busy, going fast is not an option.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think that's a fair (albeit somewhat sweeping) assessment; that said, agricultural doesn't necessarily mean "bad" in the context of motorcycles, even if it does have negative connotations.

IMO the R9T is inherently uncomfortable (primarily due to the seat and suspension quality/setup), and that's just about it's only major flaw. That said, it's a very loveable bike and has more character than (probably) any of its rivals. I'd describe it as quirkily beautiful :)
I lovingly call my rninet ugs “The Tractor”. Who would of known I’d be ahead of the curve. :D

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
One look at the current R1200, and I'm very very proud to ride a somewhat 'agricultural' bike.

Ok, except that stinky suspension.

But earthy, reliable, absence of bling, no flash in a pan, grounded, pulling like a mule... oh, we had that already... all big compliments in my book. And among the reasons I didn't get an R1200 but a Scrambler.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Recently switched to a Racer from a 2012 GSA. Although it's unreasonable to compare the two I don't find the Racer uncomfortable at all and the gearbox is definitely smoother. It's a big boxer twin and considering that, it's pretty smooth, I love the cam head motors and prefer them to the LC's. These bikes and motors just speak to me, emotion over logic

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Same sentiment here. I think the reviews on the racer are skewed as reviewers are of different shapes and sizes. I am 6’ talk and I love the feel.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Alrighty then. Here is my thing about Ag bikes: I've had my time on sweet tech-rich bikes and they have all failed me in strange and wondrous ways. True, I loved each highly spec'd bike... but only until it was replaced on the showroom floor with a 'New Shiny' model or the computers started cooking off. You can keep your 12 computers and a radiator, thank you very much. (Not "You," the general you)

I was smiling on my Street Triple right until the flakey gas gauge, failing key fob antenna, and gunked-up kickstand switch decided it was time for me to get off and get some anaerobic exercise. Oh, and you can keep the "oil a chain every 600 miles on long rides" experience when your bike doesn't have a center stand to shave two pounds.

This bike is not agricultural and I look askance at any writer that would call it such. As a previous poster said, it is "analog." I like my [motorcycle] as analog as I can get it.

All the best

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Alrighty then. Here is my thing about Ag bikes: I've had my time on sweet tech-rich bikes and they have all failed me in strange and wondrous ways. True, I loved each highly spec'd bike... but only until it was replaced on the showroom floor with a 'New Shiny' model or the computers started cooking off. You can keep your 12 computers and a radiator, thank you very much. (Not "You," the general you)

I was smiling on my Street Triple right until the flakey gas gauge, failing key fob antenna, and gunked-up kickstand switch decided it was time for me to get off and get some anaerobic exercise. Oh, and you can keep the "oil a chain every 600 miles on long rides" experience when your bike doesn't have a center stand to shave two pounds.

This bike is not agricultural and I look askance at any writer that would call it such. As a previous poster said, it is "analog." I like my [motorcycle] as analog as I can get it.

All the best
Agree. There are downsides to the current rush to put computer circuits in everything. And it’s especially problematic when the “thing” is a vehicle that can leave you stranded by the side of the road (or worse)...

·
Registered
2020,R Nine T Racer
12 Posts
Same sentiment here. I think the reviews on the racer are skewed as reviewers are of different shapes and sizes. I am 6’ talk and I love the feel.
I agree, the motor seems to "speak" to you. Took Racer for 200km spin yesterday and yes you need to be fit, but still fun. It does not like an open flat stretch, but the backroads are where it shines, plus I had to do 4 km dirt road and no issues. It likes cruising at 140km/h( taking into consideration our speed limit on highways are 120km/h so not to naughty). I am planning a long trip of 1500 km after bike is run in.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Can only agree - my other bike is a Ducati MH900e - there's only one thing that all reviews seem to agree on: the bike is called a torture-rack. I'm not the tallest of riders (5'10") but the bike fits me just fine and I have no issues riding it for several hundreds of miles a day. Being fit and having some core strength, helps :)
If I didn't have my MHe already with no plans to ever let it go (19 years of ownership and counting), I would definitely have gotten the Racer. But they fall in the same category, so, .....

·
Registered
67 Posts
Although the comment agricultural may seem harsh. It’s been used to describe BMW boxers for some time. I don’t mind it really it’s a bike with character

21 - 36 of 36 Posts