BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How "water proof" is our flat twin?
Can it be ridden in heavy rains (as in the attached pic)?
BTW, the pic (taken yesterday) is a normal day in the monsoon season.

"be free from the gravity of expectation"

·
Premium Member
2019 BMW R9T Pure
152 Posts
Don't see why not. Wear a raincoat. Be careful. If there's debris in your way you can't see it. Neither will your tires.

·
Registered
2017 R nineT Classic
381 Posts
Keep in mind major road conditions like standing water and debris, or difficulty seeing hazards. As long as you haven't made modifications like open pod filters or major exposed wiring changes then I think you should be fine. I've been in a few major downpours myself. (I swear every time I rode the bike for the first 6 months it rained heavily).

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In water-logged conditions, my worry is that since the cylinders are low down and so exposed, water will short circuit the plug wires or somehow gain entry to the motor/crankcase.
The thought struck me that since this design of motor was in service in harsh weather conditions during WW 2, then my worry is pointless.
What do you think?

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
In water-logged conditions, my worry is that since the cylinders are low down and so exposed, water will short circuit the plug wires or somehow gain entry to the motor/crankcase.
The thought struck me that since this design of motor was in service in harsh weather conditions during WW 2, then my worry is pointless.
What do you think?

I went past loads of broken down, waterlogged BMWs in my tank way back when ;);).
Ken.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
-Propaganda poster: that is what I thought, BeeEm flat twin's were "go anywhere" bikes or why would they have been selected for army duty.
- High pipe? ...I have the standard R9T Pure exhaust. The outlet is higher than that of the car in the pic. Was told that in water, as long as the motor is revved to maintain exhaust pressure, then there is no fear of water entry from there.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Yes. Already tested out the question. No issues with suckling water into airbox. Engine ran like no rain at all, although the alternate reality for the rider was something else. 😀

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
-Propaganda poster: that is what I thought, BeeEm flat twin's were "go anywhere" bikes or why would they have been selected for army duty.
- High pipe? ...I have the standard R9T Pure exhaust. The outlet is higher than that of the car in the pic. Was told that in water, as long as the motor is revved to maintain exhaust pressure, then there is no fear of water entry from there.

Propaganda poster: was looking at the poster from a technical viewpoint and definitely not a political one, I abhor that period of senseless violence.

·
Registered
2018 RnineT Racer
32 Posts
Experienced a pretty severe even in the rain not too long ago. Only causality was my odometer. Had about a half inch of water sitting in it the next am. BMW warrantied without incident and no issues riding in heavy rain since.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's not a monsoon but have driven through some pretty heinous weather communting in the UK in winter and never had any problems (bike is parked outside at work to add even more damp).

Mine's a scrambler so the high exhaust might help but I've also driven through the odd flooded road without an issue - be warned once the cylinder heads are submerged theres a hell of a lot of drag...

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to all for their input.
From the responses, the R9T appears to be immune to dousings, so it is not just a good-looker!
(Tho' in a recent comparison test of four retro-moderns, Cycle World labelled the R9T as "agricultural").
One thing I was not aware of, is the drag factor coming from riding with the cylinder heads under water. Thank you Mr. Anderson for that observation.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Thanks to all for their input.
From the responses, the R9T appears to be immune to dousings, so it is not just a good-looker!
(Tho' in a recent comparison test of four retro-moderns, Cycle World labelled the R9T as "agricultural").
One thing I was not aware of, is the drag factor coming from riding with the cylinder heads under water. Thank you Mr. Anderson for that observation.

Gotta agree with Cycle World.....my Pure is agricultural.
Was talking to 3 seasoned BMW (Fancy models) riders outside a dealer store last year and asked which engine Oil (I was there to buy oil) they used....one said ‘well, these are agricultural engines you know, so if it’s the right grade put any oil you want in, it will work fine’, and the other 2 agreed with him.
Doesn’t mean they were right though.
Ken.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For what it’s worth, i have a standard original R9T and spent 5 hours in torrential rain in southern France without a problem ... unless of course you count getting completely soaked from the spray from the rear wheel !

·
Registered
2 Posts
I commute to work 1hr each way (well, until covid) on my urbangs and have ridden in many heavy downpours. I have not owned a more capable 2-wheeled machine in the rain. She's heavy enough to push through standing water at reasonable speeds without planing and the intake has never taken on water to the point it caused any hiccups. The ACS and abs have been super handy in rain as well as a summer hail storm once. I was quickly sold on both having never previously had either.

I'm sure someone's prob had a bad time with their's, but mine can go for hours easily in heavy rain. Visibility cuts out way before the bike ever will...

·
Registered
2017 Urban GS
20 Posts
What do you think?

I'd not worry too much. I rode my Urban GS across a flooded creek crossing (twice) last week, water was at least 1.0m deep and there were no ill effects other than an amusing little puddle of boiling water ontop of the cylinders when I came out the other side. If the air intake goes under, whole different story....

1 - 20 of 38 Posts