BMW NineT Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
It’s a motorcycle, not a sugar cube. Ride it. Enjoy it. As long as you don’t put the air intake under water, it’ll be fine.
LOL, I like the comparison!
(Tho' being on a non-sugar diet, I have not seen those little blocks of sweetner for some time)
Glad to see all the affirmations of the R9T being an all-weather bike... ride on!

"be free from the gravity of expectation"

·
Registered
40 Posts
As mentioned earlier by others - the Turban can be ridden through creeks and puddles or in torrential rainfalls, for hours on end. You will not encounter engine trouble.
On the other hand you will discover what disgarding generations of experience in traditional motorcycle construction means for ample dirt accumulation on your bike and yourself. This is my bike number 56 and I never ever had a ride which got as filthy as the Turban. She rides absolutely fine in all kinds of weather, but looks an absolute swamp rat after just 15 minutes on wet roads. At the same time she manages to make you and your gear look like you just made it out of a mudwrestling pit.
The watertightness of headlight and cockpit is something which makes you want to consider to push small bamboo splinters under the fingernails of engineers, suppliers and accounters at BMW, on the other hand :-(
They suck in humidity like there is no tommorrow. We can get people to outer space and back and had watertight clocks in the 70'ies already - but BMW doesn't seem to want to address that issue properly.
Here in the german service desert BMW will actually tell you it is normal for humidity to collect in the headlight and fog it up - comment from the factory - just ride for 10 minutes more and the heat of the bulb will have burned the internal fog away. I was close to murder that day......
The indicators and rear light like to collect moisture too, by the way.
As for the switchgear it remains to be seen how well that lasts in terms of corrosion and such. It looks flimsy but so far no issues.
As long as it all works its not really worth to get too uptight about it, but one wonders never-the-less sometimes, why it is always the smaller annoying details that get willfully overlooked by the big manufacturers.
ride on and enjoy your r9t safely in any weather and conditions you may encounter. She'll get you home in one piece if you let her (and are willing to put in the cleaning effort ;-P
Bernhard

·
Registered
327 Posts
If you guys have travelled in deep water, I would suggest doing a Final Drive service.
That would be the Bevel Gear Oil change and the Universal Shaft Spline lubrication.
The Universal Joint boot is not that waterproof.

Manyakus has posted some excellent How To's on this forum.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Re: "it is normal for humidity to collect in the headlight and fog it up - comment from the factory - just ride for 10 minutes more and the heat of the bulb will have burned the internal fog away"

I have the same issue and was given exactly the same solution.
Very disappointing QC for that component from BMW.
Made in Japan, India, Korea, bikes costing much less can be ridden in a downpour with zero moisture accumulation in their headlamps.

That is one part of the "heritage" piece that should not have been included!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Re: "If you guys have travelled in deep water, I would suggest doing a Final Drive service"

Such an essential point, thanks for bringing it up.
My previous shaft drive bike (of Japanese manufacture) had the same issue. Fortunately, there was after-market availability of a plastic cover that fitted over the final drive housing at the wheel, where the water leak would have occurred.

The design of the BMW paralever makes such a solution a different proposition.
At first thought, a fork boot slid over the (already with a rubber boot) joint seems the easiest (but ugly!) solution.
Ideas, anyone?

·
Registered
74 Posts
In Japan we also suffer from an annual rainy season (monsoon), and in the five years I've been riding my R9T I've never had an issue with the rain or flooded roads, other than the splatter up the back of my jacket. For around six or seven weeks of the year, I've got a permanent strip of crud embedded in it. As for the paralever seal, I slapped heaps of white silicone grease on that a couple of years back and it is still tacky and doing its job. Though, a re-grease of the spline is on my to-do list. As an aside, over here there are two schools of thought on re-greasing the spline at the end of the drive shaft. One, is to go with Honda's Moly Assembly Paste M-77 (different name and number here) and the other is to use Honda's Moly Assembly paste (an almost regular grease colored liquid which turns sticky in seconds) from a spray can. Interestingly, the mechanic at my local BMW dealer only uses the BMW stuff on customer's bikes, and recommends the Honda stuff for all DIYers.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Which spline lube to use is a debate going back decades and the Honda paste has long been recommended. If only because it used to be cheaper than the BMW grease. I probably still have a tube somewhere from the late 90’s. :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Liqui Moly has a product, LM 47 Long-Life Grease + MoS2

I think the import ingredient is the molybdenum disulfide

·
Registered
327 Posts
In Manyakus' How To for the spline lubrication, he used Castrol Molub-Alloy Paste TA.
But it seems it is no longer available.

·
Registered
2020 BMW NineT Pure
3 Posts
I have had mine for about 3 weeks now. Somehow I have managed to been caught 4 times in the rain during a drought here in Ohio. I can assure you the heavy rain is not an issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Initial thoughts are that the bike behaves rather well on flooded Motorways in the UK. Rather like the blend of weight, balance, tyres and brakes on the R9T. Not so keen on all the nooks and crannies that require a deep clean afterwards - the bike looked awful on the morning after the night before.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Heavy rain! I think back to the first day, when I drove my new bike home from the dealer's showroom, the first 37 km. Look at my new bike ...:cry::cry::cry:

·
Registered
40 Posts
remember the part I wrote about the swamp rat ?! :cool:
Enjoy cleaning your new jewel and be happy....
Greetz
Bernhard

·
Registered
199 Posts
....This is my bike number 56 and I never ever had a ride which got as filthy as the Turban. She rides absolutely fine in all kinds of weather, but looks an absolute swamp rat after just 15 minutes on wet roads...’Bernhard
Welcome to the club, Bernhard. It’s that damn vortex:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Heavy rain! I think back to the first day, when I drove my new bike home from the dealer's showroom, the first 37 km. Look at my new bike ...:cry::cry::cry:
View attachment 134484

View attachment 134485

View attachment 134486

View attachment 134487

View attachment 134488
Heart stopping post - thought for a horrid moment that my own bike had suddenly moved to Belgium in the past few minutes. Those dirt patterns on your R9T are an exact match for how my own bike is looking after riding in today's UK monsoon season.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts