BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have read a ton of Ride reviews on the r9t pure.
And none have answered my question about how it handles, Is it a good canyon carver..?
I know it has to be better than my Harley....
I have always had a Harley, So for once Id like something that actually handles the curves....

·
Registered
111 Posts
to be fair, and I mean no disrespect, but if you're coming from a harley and onto a 9T, the question is surely how good a canyon carver are you?

The bike handles a lot better than a harley would at speed through canyons, and just about everywhere else. I know I would be outclassed if I was used to harleys coming to a BMW.

If you're canyoning on something else regularly, then it might not handle as well as say a sports 600, but it'll do. Like it says above, Sidestand has video's which are pretty good.

enjoy the bike!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Question is how good a canyon rider are you?? I've seen very skilled HD riders giving so called "better bikes" a good hiding. If you are a competent rider... then yes the R9T does well in the twisties.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
...for once Id like something that actually handles the curves....
Tough question. In stock form the R9T isn't really a sportbike. With suspension, steering damper and tire upgrades it can be a very competent, fun to ride, sportbike. There are better (much) better "as delivered" sportbikes. BUT, a well set up R9T can be great, competitive, sportbike and a joy to ride in the twisties.

Mine's "pre Pure" (it's a 2015) set up as a sportbike (see my "garage") and I enjoy embarrassing guys who've called it an "old mans' bike".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I learned how to ride flat tracking, I'm no slouch in the corners...
I understand up grade on the suspension and tires....
Thanks for the feed back..

·
Registered
256 Posts
The RnineT, even 100% stock, is great at canyon carving. It takes a little time to learn how it wants to be ridden, but with the correct technique it will easily keep up with sport bikes, and even pull away from them. And with wheel and suspension upgrades, it's an absolute weapon in the twisites.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Okay, I have read a ton of Ride reviews on the r9t pure.
And none have answered my question about how it handles, Is it a good canyon carver..?
I know it has to be better than my Harley....
I have always had a Harley, So for once Id like something that actually handles the curves....
The R9 is not too bad standard but fit 2012 S1000RR forks and it becomes outstanding, here's a video of my R9 hours after fitting the S1000RR forks, ( just getting used to them plus twiddling about with the adjustments)
OH and my son is on his Harley...who says Harleys don't handle.....

https://youtu.be/590bd0Y0ahU

·
Registered
119 Posts
My impression from riding one in the twisties was that the chassis has a lot of potential and is very stable. The suspensions set the bike back though. I believe with proper suspension it will be a fun fast bike in the twisties. The handling is not as telepathic and sharp as in modern super nakeds or sportsbikes though. It's a deliberate bike, and a ton of fun.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Even the RNineT Urban GS handles well with a 19" front wheel. Budget suspensions and it shows on rough patches but otherwise very stable and maneuverable. The biggest gain you will make vs the Harley is ground clearance and lean angle (on top of weight loss, lighter direction and better body position). These can definitely be enjoyed in a spirited riding.

·
Registered
37 Posts
agreed it's very stable in the corners, lots of room on the pegs if like me you like to climb off the side of the bike during the big sweepers. :) i have the low suspension too so that with the already low ride height gives quite the thrill. some say the 19 up front makes the front end a bit vague but i can't confirm since I've only ridden my pure in the canyon / ridgeline roads. I actually find it more fun than my monster 1200 which is a little twitchy sometimes, has a higher CG which feels awkward by comparison and doesn't have a lot of room on the rearsets to move around. i still keep it around though cause i love that motor :)

·
Registered
860 Posts
If you are coming from a Harley and want to cut some canyons then, aside from a Chopper and or an Indian
No offense but, ALL BIKES cut canyons way better than a Harley.

Now if you are a Harley rider and are looking to switch over to something that will take you out to the curvy roads
then Yes I think the R Nine T would most likely be attractive to an ex Harley rider (over other bikes like Ducati,or s1000rrrrrrr etc.

So either way, you are not going to make a mistake but please understand this bike makes your wallet dance for comfort
the stock performance will be fine for what you want (even though you will thirst for more performance)
but that stock comfort you may want to look for some cushions

·
Registered
94 Posts
So, I think I can add something to this thread. I currently have a 2017 R9T Pure. I sold my 2012 Ducati 848 EVO to buy the Pure. Before the Ducati, I had a 2011 Harley Street Bob, which I sold to get the 848 EVO. Before the Harley, I had Japanese Supersports. So, starting with the Street Bob, that bike was very fun. Even with mini apes, you could toss the bike into a turn confidently, assuming of course that I had properly observed the surface conditions, planned the turn by adjusting my speed, and simply selecting the appropriate line for the corner. Was it quick to turn? No. Did the sport touring tires inspire confidence like a set of Super Corsa SPs? No. And yes, it scraped more quickly than I would expect any bike to. So, was it a canyon carver? Certainly not, but as my skill was bolstered, so was the enjoyment of the experience. When I got the Ducati, the learning process started all over again. Granted, once I got acclimated to riding the 848 EVO, I soon realized that the limits were so much greater that I could not even think about approaching 50% of the limit without committing a fellony. It was great fun, but the limits were in such excesses, I found myself wanting something closer the Harley, but more sporty. So I wanted something sporty, that I could jab at the limits without going to prison, or jail, or even getting a substantial traffic ticket. So, I sold the Ducati for the BMW. I can tell you, it feels every bit as confidence inspiring in the twisties as the 848 EVO did. I obviously don't do my runs as quickly, but that isn't because the BMW isn't a canyon carver. The geometry along with the motor and other mechanical characteristics simply make the bike less extreme in its handling characteristics, and more easy to approach what feel like the limits. Super bikes make you focus on the time, the speed, and the precision. The R9T brings your focus to the experience of it all. Yes, the R9T can carve canyons, and it is arguably more fun to do so. I can sum it up by saying, ut is exponentially more fun to run a slow machine at its limits, than it is to run a fast machine at 10%. That is not to say the 9T is slow, but relative to modern supersports, it isn't fast. If time trials, lap times, and and track days are your thing, you might want to check to S1000RR. Did that help??

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've had them all, including two Harleys. I love canyon carving, and that's what led me to sell my last one, a softtail slim. I now have a 2014 R9T and it's far and away my favorite bike ever. I am almost always riding with my gf on back and we're starting to lose the chicken strips on my new Michelin PP 2cts so...yes, you'll love it, and it still feels like you're riding a motorcycle not a high tech sewing machine. BUY ONE

·
Registered
33 Posts
This bike will make you happy. Nice canyon carver, commuter, and it's even decent for longer trips. If you want to go back to the basics of riding, this is the one. It is not perfect (as some R9T-ers here have suggested). It could use better suspensions for sure, however every time I park the Pure and close the garage door, I always take another peak at it, and that says a lot! It makes riding a fun experience (even for middle aged dudes like me!) and not all bikes can do that. The looks are a huge bonus!!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Rode sport-bikes for years, even did a bit of amateur GP racing back in the day. Got to a point where the sport-bike riding position was too tough on my back, so I threw in the towel and picked up a Harley about eight years ago. Super comfortable, especially for long freeway rides, but handled like my living room couch. Dragged the pegs on the left side and the exhaust pipe on the right.

Last year I sold the Harley and picked up a 2017 Pure. Wow. To be back on a standard bike that handled, was a real joy. No sport-bike back ache, but lots of cornering fun. Highly recommended.

Best,
-Tim

1 - 17 of 17 Posts