BMW NineT Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

Registered
R1200 NineT Urban GS
Well, it sounds a bit stupid from dealer/BMW not to make a try changing the fuel pump (that as far as I could see has shown some hiccups on more than one forum members). They could try it before going for the major solution changing the whole engine.

Reactions: gristle

Registered
Discussion Starter #22
Update 18 Sep 2020: Dealership is recommending a full engine replacement to BMW Motorrad NA. Awaiting response from BMW today.
No word on amount of time it will take to get this new motor, and expect 4-5 days for installation.

I am committed to this bike. I'm going to hold BMW+Dealership to returning this unit to me in working condition. This bike is my all time favorite bike of the 7 I've owned! (Don't tell Triumph or Honda)

Administrator
Surely you are entitled to a loan bike to compensate you for the time your bike will be off the road, or at least some farkles? ;)

Registered
Discussion Starter #24
Unfortunately neither BMW nor the dealership is going to give me a loaner. The dealership does not loan out demos and BMW doesn't control the vehicles (effing convenient)! I'm going to push for remuneration of time-value (so $15000 bike, divided by 3yrs, divided by 12 months is roughly $420). Gimme $840 in cash or value, for the 2 months of missed riding season. I could make this harsher by stating that there are only 6 months of riding in Mass, but....

Registered
Sorry to hear/read about your misfortune. At the very least, the complete engine replacement will remove the need for delays with further diagnostics.
Please let us know if they give you the Euro 6 compliant motor and if it is plug-and-play.

Registered
Sorry to hear/read about your misfortune. At the very least, the complete engine replacement will remove the need for delays with further diagnostics.
Please let us know if they give you the Euro 6 compliant motor and if it is plug-and-play.
substitute "Euro 5" for "Euro 6"
(you can tell that I am not EU compliant!)

Registered
Discussion Starter #27
Anything different between EU4 vs EU5? What motor does a 2018 R9T racer have? i don't want less power...

Registered
2020,R Nine T Racer
Looks like BMW is coming to party. Hope all goes well. Things can go wrong. Locally a road side assist is very important and getting stuck in middle of nowhere with no assistance, well it can be difficult.

Registered
I'm failing to see that BMW will replace an as new engine after exactly what diagnosis??? Nothing has been established by the dealer. The "cam head" engine in the bikes are very very durable, rarely, if ever, fail with bearing failure etc. What your bike is suffering is something intermittent and again my first choice is fuel pump or power to it. If your bike was out of warranty or if mine I would have the tank off, pump assembly out and fit the aftermarket pump/filter assembly I have stored in my garage (very cheap on fleabay), double check the electrical connector plug, clean said plug with contact spray, then a shot of silicone lube spray and connect. That would take an amateur like me a lazy morning as opposed to the shit show the dealer has put you through. I hope this all works out for you.(y)

Registered
Discussion Starter #30
Agreed, the dealership looked at the motor from 5ft away, threw some chicken bones in the air, invoked the gods and then decided they weren't going to put time into a warranty repair. BMW Motorrad was left holding the bag on a warranty issue and likely got pressured into 'new motor' as the only viable solution. I do know motorcycle dealerships here (US, Massachusetts) are having a great sales cycle on new bikes, can't keep used bikes on the floor and are running overtime on service. I have another bike (Triumph) and I had to schedule service 6wks out. But all of this smacks of laziness and incompetence. Worse for me, there isn't another BMW dealer for ~50miles.

Update from Friday 25th: The motor is ordered, but there is only 1 in the US (Why? Too many paying customers?!?!?!), so they don't know when they will get it! Expect another shit-show runaround.....

Registered
I would love to see two things, #1) the look on the faces of the BMW techs when they look into your current engine after it's removed. # 2) the look on the face of the dealer tech after re-assembling your bike aroundthe new crisp factory engine and it too stalling after a short running time!

Registered
# 2) the look on the face of the dealer tech after re-assembling your bike around the new crisp factory engine and it too stalling after a short running time!
I'd put money on this! Either way, make sure it gets a VERY thorough shake down. This is laziness on their part - the problem has not been diagnosed yet.

Registered
I would love to see two things, #1) the look on the faces of the BMW techs when they look into your current engine after it's removed. # 2) the look on the face of the dealer tech after re-assembling your bike aroundthe new crisp factory engine and it too stalling after a short running time!
They probably will secretly replace the fuel pump and hand the bike back to the owner :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #34
UPDATE 2nd OCT 2020: No real update on the bike itself, still waiting for the crate motor to arrive at dealership. I spoke to BMW Motorrad case manager and told her that I am claiming $1600 for the 2-3 months of lost riding time. She was non-committal and said she would 'raise it up to her mgmt'. I read her response as 'you gotta be on drugs'!

Let's see what happens....

Registered
I waited over 2 months for a front fork stem.
I got ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. From BMW
Lots of fluff, and we will see what we can do.
But nothing at all. They are not customer service oriented when it comes to this

Registered
2017 RNINET
This thread sounds familiar/fishy, as a retired "mechanic" as we used to be called I would look hard at fuel pump. you will never be told that new engine block did not fix problem. dealer will make more cash this way and will warranty fuel pump to another unit. I have seen this many times especially on warranty work.

Registered
Discussion Starter #37

Well, the boys are back in town!
So, 2 long months later I have my R9T Racer back. Pic of old motor, new motor and both bikes in garage. None too soon as it is getting too cold to ride in MA!
The service light is on and technician tells me this will remain on till the 600mi service, likely in April. Bike rode fine, a bit more gruff than previous, but it was only 20mi home. Some light oil smell on the ride home.
Dealership is saying that engine warranty starts anew, so 3yrs. BMW Motorrad is still looking into my compensation claim, now word this week. Will keep you posted

Registered
Discussion Starter #38
SUCCESS - The bike rides well and still makes too much exhaust noise (pipes fault, not new motor)! I went out for about 150 mi on Saturday. Bike runs well and took it thru multiple rev changes and stirred the gear box. Felt good and strong. The clutch feels a bit different vs. original, seems like it isn't as 'sharp' of a transition between ON/OFF as previous. This could be better, but I have to get used to it. Had an 'almost stall'!

Thanks for all of your help and support. Happy to be back on the Bavarian Wagon!

21 - 38 of 38 Posts