BMW NineT Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2017 RNINET
201 Posts
Did they ever tell you what happened to last motor? You mentioned it simply stalled? no noise, no lockup, just died and you coasted to side of road?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
No, even at last visit to dealership (this past weekend) they did not have a clue about what happened to the motor. They simply crated the motor and sent it over to Germany!

I actually have a good deal of respect for the technician there (he is well trained by BMW), but he may not have been given approval to fix/repair/investigate by the shop mgmt.

Either way, season is over! Snow in Mass on Friday

·
Registered
2017 RNINET
201 Posts
I do understand their position and the technicians. Thanks for the information you were able to give. Yes season here in northern Michigan ended maybe two weeks ago, I am loading trailer today. Just waiting to vote in person and leaving then for winter home and more riding :cool:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
HEYYY, Major Update: BMW just approved $800 in compensation for 2 months of no bike!! Check or Cheque (for Limeys and Aussies) will take 10 biz days to get processed, and should be arriving by mail. They will close out the file when I deposit the check. They just called a few min ago.

So now you know, ask for $800/month of bike downtime and you will likely get half that! Shoulda asked for more...

·
Registered
2017 RNINET
201 Posts
That is good news for you. The more you look at this situation the more it's apparent that BMW Is a upstanding company, and very good at taking care of customers. Even if was something repairable in the field they warranted complete engine. thumbs up for BMW

·
Registered
BMW R nineT Pure
408 Posts
Just read through the whole thread. I'm sorry to hear about the issue, and the long time it took to resolve it, but I'm glad you got a properly working bike back and will be getting a check from BMW for the lost months with your Racer. The whole thing still stinks, but at least it's over. :)

·
Registered
344 Posts
Glad to hear that you are back on the road and have been half-way compensated for lost riding time.
As a favor, could you please document the breakdown, the approval from BMW, receiving the repaired bike and the compensation?
Please redact personal details.
Your document will be of enormous help to anyone that lands up in a similar situation.
Thank you.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Hi Chris, the strange thing is that I do not have a lot of paperwork. I did not have any work orders from the dealership, except the final -$0- work sheet. I will find this and upload as soon as I can. I also do not have any specific paperwork from BMW Motorrad USA, only conversations with their customer service. I will ask them to email me the case files and try to upload. Stay tuned...

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hi Chris, the strange thing is that I do not have a lot of paperwork. I did not have any work orders from the dealership, except the final -$0- work sheet. I will find this and upload as soon as I can. I also do not have any specific paperwork from BMW Motorrad USA, only conversations with their customer service. I will ask them to email me the case files and try to upload. Stay tuned...
Much obliged, thank you.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Fantastic that you got a new engine, but I would dearly like to know what, if anything, was wrong with the original one?:unsure:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I'm still uncertain about the cause of the failure! And the dealership doesn't know, they replaced the motor, but didn't do anything to investigate even after it was out of the frame...just sent it onward to Germany.

On a positive note, I did receive my $800 check from BMW for 'goodwill' as they classified it!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Shit happens but it how it get dealt with that really counts and I think BMW have really looked after you here, shame we'll never know the exact issue but i'm with the majority here that it was the fuel pump failing.

As a Pom (Limey) living in Australia I had a laugh at the check bit, you Yank's really have bastardized the English language :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
So, in response:
I asked Will (BMW Tech) a number of times about the fuel pump, and he said 'no dice; It was not the issue'. I don't have reason to distrust, but I do see how this is the easiest investigational direction...

Agreed, BMW did take care of me, BUT they did not have a system in place for this. There was a lot of calling and asking to speak to appropriate people (I karen'd the eff out of BMW for my $800).

Finally, Really?? Americans destroyed the English language?? We cut out the needless bits (cheque vs. check, through vs. thru, colour vs. color, and so on), made it more efficient, and championed it to the world! American English (or just 'American') is insidious, like a virus. It will attack your brain and replace all other forms of communication! (all in good fun, I'm not some crazy nationalist!)

·
Registered
19 Posts
🤣 At least you've kept a soh thru..through this ordeal.

I worked in a garage for many year's i never saw one catastrophic engine failure that we could start up and drive until it lost power, fuel or electrical issues maybe but they're not a catastrophic failure so to me it just doesn't ring true. I doubt that you/we will ever know what BMW find is the cause though so it is what it is.

Anyway i'm pleased that you're back on the road with a new motor and $800, even if you had to push them for it 👍

41 - 57 of 57 Posts