BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just my 2 pennies worth.
I too fitted the Club S indicators with side mounted licence plate/light. I had to fit the resister's that came with them as my bike came as standard with normal bulbs in the indicators.
I then found after adding the resisters there was way too much wire to make a neat and tidy job under the rear seat.
I decided it would be much easier and neater if I just took the bike to the dealers and asked them to change the cambus to run LEDS and get rid of the resisters once and for all. I knew it would cost a bit more money but did it and really pleased I did.
Agreed...that's the best first step. But even the LED programming could not solve the plate light issue for me.

·
Premium Member
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I am also running Rizoma, so I also suspect that the SupaBrake is probably helping out. Wiring help on the SB-II would be VERY MUCH appreciated. Thanks for the great info.
The standby current on the SB-II is really low, so I'm not really sure if it would solve your running signal under-current situation. If the license plate light is the only thing you have on the gray+red output, maybe add a 150ohm and see if that provides enough current.

I purchased the SB-II BMW and just hacked off the connectors. I wired the input connector side to the harness, and the output side modulated brake output to the Rizoma red+white wires. I've attached a modified schematic.

FWIW, my bike is a 2017 Racer and I'm wondering if they changed things between the 2014-2016 R9T classic and the new models. Most with the older R9Ts don't seem to be having anywhere near the picky current sensing that my bike has.

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,802 Posts
***EDIT***
FWIW, my bike is a 2017 Racer and I'm wondering if they changed things between the 2014-2016 R9T classic and the new models. Most with the older R9Ts don't seem to be having anywhere near the picky current sensing that my bike has.
I am led to believe that all the 2017 R nineT bikes come with a new version of the CANBUS system, and it certainly looks as if it's super picky with what it'll work with.

Ironic really, as the classic R nineT was promoted as being customisable.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have Rizoma Club S and L installed as replacements for original, non LED blinkers. The NineT can be programmed either for LED or normal bulbs. Just ask your local vendor. He shouldn't ask a lot. Mine did it for free... No problem at all. IMO, I would recommend not to mess with resistors. My two cents...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Question Bill (or whomever else happens to know):

How do I connect the Digikey through hole resistors to the turn signal wires? The resistor has hard wire ends in contrast to the soft copper in the signal wires. I was thinking a twist on wire connector like the ones used in houses.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am led to believe that all the 2017 R nineT bikes come with a new version of the CANBUS system, and it certainly looks as if it's super picky with what it'll work with.

Ironic really, as the classic R nineT was promoted as being customisable.....

Yep MY2017 was hyper flashing without the resistors and has a light out in the dash, had to install the resistor that came with the Rizoma's and all is good.

·
Registered
40 Posts

How do I connect the Digikey through hole resistors to the turn signal wires? The resistor has hard wire ends in contrast to the soft copper in the signal wires. I was thinking a twist on wire connector like the ones used in houses.

Thanks in advance
Also, which wire does the resistor attach to? Your diagram shows it going across both green and black?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think I've got it; I believe this screenshot from a You Tube video is the way to do it. Now I just need to source a couple of aluminum heat sinks for the resistors.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Nevermind spoke too soon it was all well and good if the bike is in the ON position as soon as the engine is running I get hyper flash on the left and completely no light on the right,Went to the dealer to see if they can flash my ECU for LED's and they said can't do it since it's illegal now in CA wtf?

·
Premium Member
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·

Thanks in advance
Hi mainboarder87. I actually soldered mine all together and covered everything with heat shrink tubing. Yes, the resistors are in parallel with the light. I would not recommend a wire nut, nor the tap type connectors you've shown. They won't work well with the bare, solid wire conductors of the resistors.

As for a heatsink, given the intermittent nature of the signals, and the original lights being only 10W, I didn't use a heatsink at all and don't believe it's necessary in this application. If you prefer, you would need to buy resistors already housed heat-sinks like you've pictured, you can't add them to the partt hat I specified from digi-key.

·
Premium Member
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Nevermind spoke too soon it was all well and good if the bike is in the ON position as soon as the engine is running I get hyper flash on the left and completely no light on the right,Went to the dealer to see if they can flash my ECU for LED's and they said can't do it since it's illegal now in CA wtf?
Yeah, that is ridiculous about the LEDs being illegal now.

Regarding your problems, the resistors shipped with the Rizomas are not the correct value for this application (at least mine were - 6ohm/50W). With the bike running, the voltage driving the lights is higher, so the lights draw more current. Too much, so the ECU disables the light and turns on the warning indicator on the instrument cluster.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I didn't go the dealership reprogram route, because I'm keeping bulbs up front.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yeah, that is ridiculous about the LEDs being illegal now.

Regarding your problems, the resistors shipped with the Rizomas are not the correct value for this application (at least mine were - 6ohm/50W). With the bike running, the voltage driving the lights is higher, so the lights draw more current. Too much, so the ECU disables the light and turns on the warning indicator on the instrument cluster.
Since when are LED lights illegal?? Also, if the turn signal shuts off completely, it's likely a short circuit protection. Check your wires. On MY2017 (my Racer at least), I needed around 3-5W consumed for each light circuit, or less...

·
Premium Member
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Since when are LED lights illegal?? Also, if the turn signal shuts off completely, it's likely a short circuit protection. Check your wires. On MY2017 (my Racer at least), I needed around 3-5W consumed for each light circuit, or less...
IIRC, it wasn't that they were LEDs per se, but that the stalks were too short, so the distance between indicators was to short for DOT rules. Plus, I don't think the LED housing are stamped as DOT certified, so there's that.

Yup, 3-5W is right. the 39 ohm resistors draw from .3A to .35A which is just enough. The overcurrent protection, at least on mine, didn't kick in until 2A.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Interesting. I guess the LEDs have widely differing power consumptions. On my 2017, I can get good function with about 80 ohms.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Rizoma has one resistor EE149H, it's 3W 38 ohm so I think I will buy that one on my 2017 and I'll be fine. I'm buying two sets just in case so if I have spear will donate to the most desperate individual here.

Nico

21 - 40 of 48 Posts