BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After some three weeks or so my Racer was delivered this week. Gave me plenty of time to read every ride review on the internet that I could find. Maybe I got a different motorcycle. :)

Rocking couple made me smile...like an old friend. First experience with the Para Lever. It works, gone was the sensation of the pinion climbing the ring gear. Great motor characteristics..pulls hard off the bottom, fuels smoothly, revs freely and nice exhaust note. Looking at the opposed twin, like looking at a HD twin, gives a glimpse into past and the history of the company that made them.

It's a cafe position...not for riding the Four Corners nor hauling furniture. Nothing hard to understand there, or shouldn't be. Bars are just stub bars mounted into the top clamp, not clip ons mounted low on the fork tubes. Rear sets are back but not to the extreme some suggest. I found it a good fit for me. Knees fall perfectly into the tank cut outs and I can sit up or bend over as I please. I don't get the forced forward, 'perched' over the front wheel feeling of some bikes. That, coupled with a sharp rake angle, I find awkward.

The Racer was the model that I really wanted even knowing I might have to change to a Heli bar and move the foot controls. In fact a Heli bar was part of the deal from the dealer. (Max BMW) The bar will go a shelf for now. As an aside, unlike some, I see no problem with anyone changing things on a Racer to make it more rideable for themselves. Quite common and expected on other R Nine models?

This is a great motorcycle....for me. I'd been riding over half and hour yesterday when I thought I was no less comfortable than I would have been riding in my truck. Hardly Torquemada's favorite rack. Stops well, handles well and looks much better in the metal than in photos. German build quality you'd expect. I'm well pleased with my choice.

For what it's worth. 70 yo 6'1" 170 lbs 31" inseam and 35"sleeve length. Two discs fused in my neck, two herniated in low back. Hardly the poster boy for orthopedic health. :eek:

'

·
Registered
481 Posts
Ed
You nailed it.
You are a tad older than I, a tad taller than I, and a tad lighter than I.
This is the ONLY bike I have owned that made me say I will never sell this.
When I am too old to ride, I will just sit and look at it remembering all the great miles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi guys , as a youngster (65) im bowing to your experience . But i also love my racer . Had a Katana for years , still got my R 11 s and MV F4. The MV gets parked in the house and the racer is assigned on rotation to also sleep there , but its getting used so much .. I'm loving the seating position , 2/3 hr afternoon rides are great fun .
Its plenty enough power for me and the torque means i don't have to worry about what gear i'm in . Want to overtake ? , roll it open and its done .
And the heated grips are a nice luxury for those early morning rides before the roads get busy .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts