BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suspect much of this discussion has been done to death. I have searched and read & read & then read some more.

If you had a budget of £1200 to sort the pretty crashy front forks out, where and with whom would you spent it (UK for now as travelling is a wee bit hard at the moment, but preparing for the continent)?

I love my R nine T Racer with it's contorted Jota like riding position, it gives me great joy on each ride. I don't love the lack of plushness in the front suspension (disclaimer already had MCT have a go at this and a Nitron shock in the rear) as it crashes and bobs on a less than perfect surface. I mostly ride for fun on mildly suspect A-roads, not track days.

Suggestions within manageable scope welcome.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Look at Maxton in cheshire. I've had fork rebuild and rear shock for years and very happy. Give Richard a ring , very knowledgable and helpful.

·
Registered
500 Posts
There are two general price groups. A set of cartridges from Nitron, Ohlins, Andreanni, etc. will start at about £700 and then there are full fork replacements that will start at £1800. There are different brands of cartridges that will cost almost £1200 which theoretically should be better than the £700 version, but unless you are extracting the most from your bikes abilities it may not be money well spent. If it was me I'd spend the £700 on a set of Nitron cartridges for the front, made for your weight and riding style and either spend the rest on labour or do it yourself and spend the rest on petrol.

Different strokes for different folks, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror are closer than they appear, the cheque is in the mail, she told me she was 18, etc.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, both it looks like a cartridge is the way to go. Now to start planning when a local fitter is open and making the finer decisions on varients.

·
Registered
2019 R nineT Scrambler: enhanced by Ohlins, Pirelli, SW-Motech, Unit Garage & 8-Racing
32 Posts
Super happy with my Ohlin cartridge inserts on my Scrambler. Definitely spend the time getting your sag/preload setup up. Then adjust your compression and rebound from there. Also make certain in the open end of the range when getting your sag #s.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice one - which model of Ohlins inserts were they? I think NIX is the right one and if not too invasive whats their indicative cost?

·
Registered
2019 R nineT Scrambler: enhanced by Ohlins, Pirelli, SW-Motech, Unit Garage & 8-Racing
32 Posts
Mine Ohlins insert were the FKS211 which is for the SCR & UGS. Plus I installed the BM641 rear shock as well.
Your Racer will use slightly different Ohlins setups both for your suspension travel and possibly also your weight #/kg.

My springs were 9N/mm front and 140 rear. I'm 82kg clothed, so ~90kg with gear on and some tools/spares on the bike

UK GBP cost is probably going to vary from my USA USD rate. I think the Wunderlich site will give you some idea on cost and spring setup needs, or atleast the USA one does, since O distributor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I suspect much of this discussion has been done to death. I have searched and read & read & then read some more.

If you had a budget of £1200 to sort the pretty crashy front forks out, where and with whom would you spent it (UK for now as travelling is a wee bit hard at the moment, but preparing for the continent)?

I love my R nine T Racer with it's contorted Jota like riding position, it gives me great joy on each ride. I don't love the lack of plushness in the front suspension (disclaimer already had MCT have a go at this and a Nitron shock in the rear) as it crashes and bobs on a less than perfect surface. I mostly ride for fun on mildly suspect A-roads, not track days.

Suggestions within manageable scope welcome.
I'm a R 9 T RACER track rider and installed the Ohlins. It transformed the performance completely. I also have a stock R9T PURE and like the comparison bringing to light the woefully inadequate stock suspension. Cheers! Insta feed : ocsurfer59

·
Registered
Racer
5 Posts
Nice discussion. I have just bought a Racer 😉 I am not a pro on settings but i think a 700€ cartridge can perfectly do the job IF perfectly in accordance with the rear. For a race use it may be different. There is the wilbers cartridge for boxer cup at 1500€ and the complete set at 2900€.
I will have an adreani cartridge with an emc shock (french manufacturer and andreani importer). And i will let the pro install it all. Real pros can make the difference. It will be half the price of Wilbers.
And think also of a different height between front and rear to increase the maniability of this bike. Personnaly i have asked for +30mm in the rear (inspired by the +30mm of the wilbers set)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Next week 🤞all things being equal then it will be a trip to FTR Suspension for an Öhlins cartridge kit fitting. Same price as the K-tech. Circa £680 plus fitting and setting up (another £200) which for once is below the budget.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts