BMW NineT Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
suspension update......
last week I did a 1000 km round trip with my son on the back. We made a feast of all the small and windy roads in the Odenwald and the Pfälzer Wald region as well as further in towards Schwaben (that's all in south western Germany, north of the black forest, in case anyone wondered ;-)
My son weighs in at 85 kg (at 189 cm) myself at a 100 kg (at 198 cm) which means we probaly exceeded the official BMW weight capacity for the UGS (209 kg) when all the gear and clothes come into play.
With the OEM rear suspension - impossible. That one bottomed out even with a 70 kg pillion. With the (raised) 2008 WP 1200 GS rear shock it was just a matter of turning the knob to medium and everything went swimmingly.
In combination with the unbelievably ugly Wunderlich lowered rear footpegs we both fitted well on the bike and had a great time.
The extendet sidestand (with an elargement plate) managed to scrape over the tarmac a couple of times, though there still remains a 1" chicken strip left on the rear tire. With the roundish profile of the Michelin Anakee Adventures more does not seem possible (or sensible on public roads).
Next plan is to install some emulator valves in the fork to get it slightly more sensitive, i.e. less harsh on the rebound.
Oh, and a higher seat.....
regards from sunny Germany

Bernhard

·
Registered
32 Posts
looking real good. Did you get the sidestand extended?
And what's that seat? looks nice and comfy (and higher then stack)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know this is not the freshest of threads - but I have done the same recently and thought maybe someone is interested :)

2018 UGS (no extra cash floating around for the Benders / Wilbers suspension - Christian Benders is the guys who actually developed it with the help of Wilbers parts. His shop is more or less in my neighbourhood, where it always possible to drop in for a chat and a mean cup of coffee ;-P
So I got two 43 mm diameter ( length w/o threads 40 mm) extensions in stainless which are sold for the old Honda Africa Twin and Varaderos, some cheapo fork caps from god-knows-where, Wilbers zero friction fork springs incl. oil and a 2007 WP damper from an R 1200 GS.
One nice aspects of the old GS damper is its mudshield protecting spring and rod from continous sandblasting by the rear tire.

In the front I pushed the whole set-up 33 mm down (i.e. lifted it with 33 mm along the forkline). The joint is nicely covered and stabilized ?! by the indicator bracket. At 33 mm the joint line is exactly in the middle of the bracket.

The fork caps had to be slightly altered to be able to scrwe them in all the way.

I put an M10 silent block in the side-stand plate to lift the whole shebang around 50 mm, as it otherwise stands far too much leaning to the left. Next week I am getting an oem sidestand back with a welded-in 50 mm extension.
Had to relocate the brake fluid reservoir for the rear brake as the adjust knob from the damper took its space.
The whole set-up matches the Wilbers +70 mm affair in terms of seat height and ground clearance and was around 20% of the price.

The old WP damper plays in a different universe from the OEM UGS unit, though a Wilbers, Bilstein or the like are probably still better. Soaks up the bumps, nice and firm and adjustable on the fly.

The front is "ok" now . In any case much better than stock, so it is safe to say the Wilbers springs are worth the effort.
I did it for the height as I needed to drop the footpegs by 25 mm (and still have to get the seat upped a bit -> next project in line) At 6'6" the standard UGS was just to harsh for my knees and ridiculously low at the traffic lights.
As there is no way in **** to get this set-up legalized in Germany I'll try to save up to get the Benders suspension in time, but so far I am pretty pleased with the result for the money involved.
But for you guys who do not live where "winter is ruling", i.e. the german road code, traffic police and the almighty TÜV, this may be one possible (cheaper) way to go.
ride safe and keep wrenching....
for everything else in terms of modding, like the R 100 G/S rear mudguard I'll put that in an extra post.

B-)
What did you use to drop the footpegs

41 - 46 of 46 Posts