BMW NineT Forum banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Got my as well, should be coming this weekend so I’ll report back. I’ve worked with Yaman tuning the rapid bike evo on monster 1200s. Super nice guy and knowledgeable tho he sounds 12 on the phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
221 Posts
Received and installed today. Thoughts on install & my experience. Pics to follow. Running stock headers w OEM akra double can.

INSTALL: As OP said, 30-45 mins. Easy. Does take a little while to wriggle the cables just how you like them, but I managed to get everything hidden ...and all my bolts back in place with no issues.

MODULE & TRIM: Seems to work for most BMW motos. Arrived preset to BMW R Nine T. Has two dials: Trim 1 & Trim 2. Trim 1 deals with bike (range is 1-7 w 9T being 5). Trim 2 is fuel adjustment (range being +3 down to -3 w 9T being +3). So 9T Trims are 5 & +3.

SUBJECTIVE EXPERIENCE: Immediately felt as through Gear 1 was smoothed out entirely. Gear 2 as well with minimal / next-to-none of the pesky low-speed jerkiness or bogginess. Low end of Gear 3 also smooth. Anywhere the bike is operating closed-loop, it felt better. Honestly, it should come like this stock.

Took a 30 minute ride on a twisty, technical road in the Berkeley hills and could ride for miles at a time staying in second gear ...without pulling the clutch in. Like, at all. I didn't need to feather when stuck being a van doing 10 mph around a cluster of redwoods - when previously the bike might lug along & jerk without some clutch work. I could actually use the entirety of 2nd gear. Felt more confident leaning into corners at slower speeds. Stop-n-go city riding felt a little simplified as far as user input to achieve smooth power band. Another key improvement was that I also didn't feel the need to pull clutch in over large speed humps in my neighborhood (previously, a tedious little exercise since the streets are in rough shape). Removes so many scenarios when I felt the need to feather or downshift in lower end of gearbox.

Some have said creamy. Eh, I say it's still a boxer :) I'd say it's much smoother and is totally worth the $200. I still plan to decat, change my muffler, and snag a Bren Handheld - but this is a great fix in the meantime. Satisfied customer.

Highly recommended. Will report back over time.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
@smoothdurban hope you like it! let us know... obviously :)
@Gemballa1980 have you played around with +2 at all yet? or staying on +3? mine arrives tomorrow...

Not yet. My Remus pipes arrived so have been playing around with those for a bit! Kept it on +3 and works a treat so far.. I'll let this wear in a bit first and will then try drop down to +2 to see if there's a noticeable difference.

I can however confirm that the waterproof O2 sensors are in fact waterproof! I rode home on Friday after work in the biggest downpour I've ever ridden through and not a single hiccup!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Not yet.
I can however confirm that the waterproof O2 sensors are in fact waterproof!
Good to know on waterproofing! And thanks again for this thread. It's what convinced me to buy and man is life better already.

And yeah, I wanna play w trim just for fun and do some blind tests. Lemme know your results.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Would one need to reset anything after the install?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Not that I'm aware of (on my 2018 Pure).

But one anecdote on activation... the first time you plug it in, the green LED turns on. You're supposed to wait 'several minutes' until the LED begins to flash. That never happened for me while the bike was running. Eventually I turned off engine and then LED began to flash. After that, it would start to flash as normal within about 5 seconds on each subsequent startup. Not a problem - I was just a bit confused and a little bummed out initially thinking maybe it didn't work.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I didn't need to reset anything on mine either.

With the light, my understanding is that it will go solid green when you first turn it on / start it. Then once it's up to temperature (when the O2 sensors start actually reading) then the light will flash. So when cold, on, but not yet operating - solid green. When warm and functioning, it'll flash. So I assume if you turn your bike on when it's already warm, it'll start flashing immediately.

I do recall reading somewhere that the correct startup procedure is to turn the key on, wait for the dials to circle back to 0, then start. BUT don't wait longer than 10 (or 20?) seconds to start it once it;s done it's key-on check. EDIT: This procedure MAY be the one for the AF-Xied and I've just adopted it for the RBE. You may not have to wait, but meh - I usually wait for the key-on self test anyway.

·
Registered
221 Posts
have you guys noticed a any reduction or increase in the engine temps while riding on your 2017+ models?
None that I've noticed. It's within the usual range. I'm curious to find out about fuel consumption tho. I expect to see a minor reduction there. I'm already getting eh mpg on the 9T (just below 40).

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
have you guys noticed a any reduction or increase in the engine temps while riding on your 2017+ models?
None that I've noticed. It's within the usual range. I'm curious to find out about fuel consumption tho. I expect to see a minor reduction there. I'm already getting eh mpg on the 9T (just below 40).
Fyi,
There is a super long mpg thread that does discuss riding styles, rpm ranges, gas types with mph, etc.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Fyi,
There is a super long mpg thread that does discuss riding styles, rpm ranges, gas types with mph, etc.
Thanks! I have been on there and made peace with my mpg. I mostly commute highway 80-100mph with frequent twisty rides on weekends. The guys getting great mileage keep the engine around 3k rpm which doesn't really suit my preferred riding style. Got pulled twice this month and got warnings... so I took the windscreen off to slow me down a bit :) It's helped as anything over 90 is a chore now. So hey, the Dart works.

No windscreen + MBE will probably shave off 1mpg, I'm guessing. We'll find out...

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Fyi,
Thanks! I have been on there and made peace with my mpg. I mostly commute highway 80-100mph with frequent twisty rides on weekends. The guys getting great mileage keep the engine around 3k rpm which doesn't really suit my preferred riding style. Got pulled twice this month and got warnings... so I took the windscreen off to slow me down a bit /forum/images/NineTOwners_2014/smilies/tango_face_smile.png It's helped as anything over 90 is a chore now. So hey, the Dart works.

No windscreen + MBE will probably shave off 1mpg, I'm guessing. We'll find out...
HA, we would have fun riding together! It does take gas to go 100mph. Lol. Cost of gas is worth the smiles.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Yep! I've noticed the engine temp on my late 2018 has dropped a fair bit. It would usually sit around 100 - 110c in normal flowing traffic. It's now around 94-98c. Granted, we are coming into winter here (Australia) but I saw a noticeable change from the day I installed it.

I remember when I first got my NineT, it occasionally bumped into the 130deg range when at a stand still at the lights. Since the RBE, it's never gone beyond 110c.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yep! I've noticed the engine temp on my late 2018 has dropped a fair bit. It would usually sit around 100 - 110c in normal flowing traffic. It's now around 94-98c. Granted, we are coming into winter here (Australia) but I saw a noticeable change from the day I installed it.

I remember when I first got my NineT, it occasionally bumped into the 130deg range when at a stand still at the lights. Since the RBE, it's never gone beyond 110c.
Interesting. I honestly didn't pay too much attention to temp in my first two rides. But yeah, climate a definite factor. I'll take note of temps when I do some blind tests w trim at 0 and +3 later this month.

EDIT - Now that I think about it, I'm curious how eliminating cat also impacts engine temp?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Interesting. I honestly didn't pay too much attention to temp in my first two rides. But yeah, climate a definite factor. I'll take note of temps when I do some blind tests w trim at 0 and +3 later this month.

EDIT - Now that I think about it, I'm curious how eliminating cat also impacts engine temp?
I noticed the drop in temp when the RBE first went on - while still running the stock headers / cat. The temp hasn't really changed too much since installing the Remus headers..

·
Registered
201 Posts
I noticed the drop in temp when the RBE first went on - while still running the stock headers / cat. The temp hasn't really changed too much since installing the Remus headers..

How’s the bike running with the headers and cat off? My bike popped a bit more when I removed the flapper and drilled out the decibel killers.

Also to note though there definitely seems most of you guys noticed a difference with the rapidbike I didn’t notice that much. The bike maybe feels a little bit more punchy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
How’s the bike running with the headers and cat off? My bike popped a bit more when I removed the flapper and drilled out the decibel killers.

Also to note though there definitely seems most of you guys noticed a difference with the rapidbike I didn’t notice that much. The bike maybe feels a little bit more punchy.
Since going catless and removing the flap at the same time the bike doesn't seem as crisp as it did with them. Power is up and overall feels better, however taking off at the lights isn't as good as it was when I first installed the RBE. It's still better than the bike was without the rbe, so I'm confident it's still doing it's job and would hate to think how it would be without it. But I do believe that to completely benefit from going catless a full system or flash would probably be the way to go.

In saying that, I'm still happy with the RBE and will keep running it until my warranty runs out (in 2.5 years!).

I've posted in other threads that I find my current exhaust too loud (remus headers, single akrapovic silencer. So I've ordered a bigger db killer that'll restrict it a little more. In doing so, it may bring the little bit of launch crispness back.

Time will tell!

·
Registered
150 Posts
So, started with the install of my RB Easy tonight. Really looking forward to getting rid of the horrible throttle snatch in 1st and 2nd gears...
Spent a while chiselling extraneous protrusions from my electrics tray to make a flat surface for the module to Velcro onto.

Then the first question arose - is the harness handed?

The wire colours are different for each side, but don't match the bike wiring (as far as I can see in my poorly lit garage).
No clues in the install bumf, so I though it best to ask here?

Routing the wiring is a bit of a game, eh?

Thanks!

·
Registered
150 Posts
OK, went ahead with the install. Twice in fact...
(First time resulted in a mad 4000rpm idle, so I took everything off. Turned out to be a slightly displaced throttle cable, as suggested by an incredibly useful post on here.)
Another round of zip ties and we were all sorted.
Initially the green light stayed on, but 2nd start it began flashing as per the instructions so I screwed the lid on and buttoned it all up.

After a 40 mile test ride I can pass the following comments:
1) Closed throttle engine braking is significantly reduced. I actually quite liked that as on flowing roads I seldom needed to touch the brakes. Now I do, but it feels like a normal bike so what the hey.
2) Annoying pops and farts on the over-run are gone. No loss IMO.
3) The dreadful throttle snatch in 1st and 2nd is almost gone. Slow speed maneuvering is much easier.
4) Up changing is actually much smoother (I do use the clutch).
All in all I call that a win.

Bike is a 2017 Racer, Akra Ti de-cat headers, Super Corse Ti flapper delete, R9T Classic double barrel Akra can.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Will likely be making the RBE purchase this weekend and just wondering how everyone is still liking theirs.

any feedback would be awesome

41 - 60 of 100 Posts