BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2017 R9T and at the moment with performance mods I only have the sprinter filter. I finally decided to bite down and order the Rapid Bike Evo and a SC project CRT titanium exhaust from MotovationUSA. Spoke with Jacob who was a wealth of knowledge, except that he waited til after I placed the order that the exhaust was out of stock and could take 3-5 weeks for delivery LOL. Anyways I thought it was a good idea to be able to review the tuner with sprinter filter alone and then again once the exhaust is installed:

Installing the tuner was honestly a breeze and made easier by the users in this forum. Although I think there was only one other user that made a really descriptive post about installation. I even wrote to him and asked him a few questions and he responded. I was still nervous but just by looking at the wires included in the box and the instructions I got the idea of how it all connects. No cable is left unplug and all wires in a closed loop. Manual shows enough to locate the various sensors but the real trick in all this was playing around in how to hide the wires. I was attempting to removal the whole fuel tank but got stopped by some fuel lines I believe that wouldnt detach. I maneuvered my way around just fine. Plugged everything in on the left and right side appropriately. PS, tie rods will be your best friend. Having extra to tie things down really cleans it up and doesnt make it look like theres anything extra where it doesnt belong. The only tricky thing Id say was figuring out which one wires plugged into the crank case wires. Referring back the other users post, he had pictures differentiating which wires to touch. GOLDEN! And besides having to go back to plug the RBE wire for the power to the negative pole of the battery, it was easy. The tuner itself doesnt exactly fit so perfectly under the seat. I feel its a little tight and may go back to see how I can improve the situation in there.

Road review:
At first I wasnt to impressed, but I honestly didnt give it a solid chance. The ride did get better the longer I was on the bike, but wasnt long before the tuner really started to impress. I feel the throttle response improved so much, felt torquier, more "impulsive" through the low rev ranges. The traction control would flicker a lot more often as the front picked up in response to the increased power. Cant expect much for sound still still running with the stock exhaust. But overall performance of this tuner right of out the box is good. Its nothing out of this world but then again, its not the Race version, it wasnt tuned which is an option, and running most stock parts. It 100% does what its supposed to and added benefit is that there might improvement on MPG. I am confident that the whole AFR is sorted out to have the R9t run optimum. I'm very happy and feel like my stock bike for went from being the safe bike out of the dealer to really showing its true potential.

Would any body be interested if I supplied any pictures of videos? If enough people are interested Im totally up for it since I feel like the community needs more support and lacks with this specific product. I could also show before and after videos with the exhaust.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It would be interesting to see mesurements of AFR during closed loop operation both before and after the installation.
I agree. but who has the money to do a dyno each time :laugh: I WISH!

my gf has a windows laptop where I can plug it into the Rapid Bike. I will ride it a bit more and post anything worthwhile.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Great!

I too have a 2017, and I’m a bit concerned about oil temperatures beeing higher than the pre -17 models.

I suspect it could have something to do with the Euro4 conformity.

So (before Dave sends this thread elswere), the results from Your installation and try-outs are interesting!

·
Administrator
11,353 Posts
***edit***

Would any body be interested if I supplied any pictures of videos? If enough people are interested Im totally up for it since I feel like the community needs more support and lacks with this specific product. I could also show before and after videos with the exhaust.

Yeah please do post some photos, videos and other information. It would be a real help to the forum. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great!

I too have a 2017, and I’m a bit concerned about oil temperatures beeing higher than the pre -17 models.

I suspect it could have something to do with the Euro4 conformity.

So (before Dave sends this thread elswere), the results from Your installation and try-outs are interesting!
I did notice that engine temperature being extra high, is that what you mean? My dash read out for engine temp has gone as high as 290 degrees, maybe higher. Unsure as a result of the weather becoming cooler here in NJ(still high 70's/80's //around 26 degrees celsius for the rest of the world but after installing the RBE I havent seen the dash read out over 250 which makes me feel a lot more comfortable.

·
Registered
2017 R nineT Classic
381 Posts
I did notice that engine temperature being extra high, is that what you mean? My dash read out for engine temp has gone as high as 290 degrees, maybe higher. Unsure as a result of the weather becoming cooler here in NJ(still high 70's/80's //around 26 degrees celsius for the rest of the world but after installing the RBE I havent seen the dash read out over 250 which makes me feel a lot more comfortable.
Unless something has changed recently then I have trouble believing that. I have no idea why but the max they seem to display on the dash is 143C/289F. Internally they are still tracking the temp and the warning light on the dash for oil temp will come on some time later, but it is impossible to know what actual temp trips it. My BMW dealer was unable to answer what the actual max temp before the light comes on either. But there is ample discussion that the max the gauge displays is 143C/289F.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts