BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2018 urban gs is at 26k miles. Just this last ride today I noticed a error icon for a bulb on the gauge, I checked everything, pilot light (just replaced), headlight, blinkers, all worked. Then I tried the brake light, and it wont engage!

Actually, no, it's engaged permanently! I fiddled with squeezing both front and rear levers (or rather squeezed the front, pressed the rear) and eventually it went back to normal, error icon turned off as well.

It's definitely the rear lever/pedal causing it to stick "on". Although mechanically the hardware looks and sounds fine when pressing the lever - even gently. It'll stick stick, although I haven't had the error icon come back, despite being able to reproduce the issue.

Did a search, found a couple of posts about a little spring piece falling off (mine is intact), replacing the pegs with rearsets (mine are OEM), etc. Didn't see anything along these lines. I am using an aftermarket tail tidy, but it's been flawless over the last year (Dedaelus). I did, however, just install a center-stand, but I didn't remove the right-foot rest or fiddle with anything related to the rear brake.

I'm going to assume this is just a fatigued part after almost 30k miles... I guess? I don't have a diagnostics tool to plug in, I just had an oil change, valve check and the pilot light replaced which had burned out. Not super stoked about making another appointment with the shop (as much as I like my local indy bmw shop).

Has anyone had this issue?

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
My 2018 urban gs is at 26k miles. Just this last ride today I noticed a error icon for a bulb on the gauge, I checked everything, pilot light (just replaced), headlight, blinkers, all worked. Then I tried the brake light, and it wont engage!

Actually, no, it's engaged permanently! I fiddled with squeezing both front and rear levers (or rather squeezed the front, pressed the rear) and eventually it went back to normal, error icon turned off as well.

It's definitely the rear lever/pedal causing it to stick "on". Although mechanically the hardware looks and sounds fine when pressing the lever - even gently. It'll stick stick, although I haven't had the error icon come back, despite being able to reproduce the issue.

Did a search, found a couple of posts about a little spring piece falling off (mine is intact), replacing the pegs with rearsets (mine are OEM), etc. Didn't see anything along these lines. I am using an aftermarket tail tidy, but it's been flawless over the last year (Dedaelus). I did, however, just install a center-stand, but I didn't remove the right-foot rest or fiddle with anything related to the rear brake.

I'm going to assume this is just a fatigued part after almost 30k miles... I guess? I don't have a diagnostics tool to plug in, I just had an oil change, valve check and the pilot light replaced which had burned out. Not super stoked about making another appointment with the shop (as much as I like my local indy bmw shop).

Has anyone had this issue?
Micro switches do fatigue and fail. I would suggest the next time you get an error light to then check the micro (at the foot brake to see if it’s fully functioning) if not replace it …………………..Blitz

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
A quick shot of aerosol silicone spray would be my first step.:cool:
Great idea, @vagueout that switch is far from weather proofed, there rugged hardware but silicon sounds like a good shot in e dark and might just free it up and act as a lubricant too ….. I like easy ! 👍🏻…..Blitz

·
Registered
489 Posts
Would WD-40 be a bad idea in lieu of silicone spray?
Silicone lube is a "safer" thing to use around electrics, rubbers and plastic housings, WD40 has been proven over the years to be less than special around items like switches. My working life was as an aircraft tech mainly on Boeings, silicone spray was always the go to product in items like switches, usually after a shot of contact spray to clean the area. If WD40 was all I had handy of course I would use it but it's not my preferred spray.:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Sprayed it with wd-40 a few days in a row, seemed to do the trick.

But now my left blinker seems to have the "Berlin Ziptie Stranglehold of Death" and is throwing a code now and then. ¯\(ツ)
Is the issue with the front blinker? Many of the early models.. (2014-2016 I think) .. had wiring loom issues at the triple tree .,. Many good threads here about such intermittent issues … next time your problem pops up try doing nothing BUT turn the handle bars slowly and see if the condition changes … if it does, check where the wiring leaves the main frame and goes to the handlebars (at the triple-tree) if the wiring is damaged it will show at the fork bearings, look closely at the wires … better yet, check out some of the threads “wiring loom” is a good search word for this, it will all begin to make sense. GoodHunting………Cheers …… Blitz

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Just to add a note about WD40 and electrics, WD40 now market WD40 Silicone spray in the same coloured can, just bought a can recently, it is watery thin and quick to penetrate electrical parts or anything else for that matter.:cool:
Here’s one you might want to add to your arsenal. BMW has several small electrical shortfalls including no kind of weatherproofing around the brake micro-switch …. This is my go to for such problems …
Road surface Paint Drink Art Automotive tire

Any time I can’t wrap in in 3M Brand Electrical Tape or slip over a piece of shrink tube and heat it but still need some kind of long term insulation … Liquid Tape is very handy. Cheers @vagueout ………….Blitz

1 - 12 of 12 Posts