BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Changed my rear brake pads this morning at 10,039 miles use
Pic 1: shows clip, arrow points to front of bike
Pic2: shows dirty caliper, extended dirty pistons. used Dawn dish washing solution and donated toothbrush, which is really al you need to do a good job.
Pic 3,4: shows cleaned up caliper, clean looking pistons
Pic 5: show old & new rear inboard pad
Pic 6. brake pistons pushed back easily by finger pressure, clip installed (push back slowly to avoid overflow at rear reservoir)
( I had trouble keeping the clip in during reassembly, spread the little tangs apart, (maybe I should have ordered a new clip)
Pic 7: All back together, now I clearly have 3 rings showing. Before, could not see any rings>

I used small pick to remove the retaining clip, drift pin & small hammer to set pin back in. Align small hole in pin so you can put back the little retaining clip)
Torx 45 to remove caliper bolts, 24Nm to tighten (used a small dab of blue medium strength thread locker on caliper bolts)
Small bungy cord to hold caliper
old towel to cover final drive while I cleaned up the caliper
Tiny bit of Syl-Glyde to lightly coat the other clip (with no arrow)
I was going to pull and separate the caliper slider to clean & lubricate the caliper sliders, but they moved quite easily and decided to defer this till next time.
Its nice to have a small magnetic parts bowl (from Harbour Freight) to keep all your removed parts safe in one bowl
rags, gloves.
Keep the brake pads clean.
Operate foot brake by hand a few times to set pistons.
Test brakes before you ride!

Attachments

·
Registered
382 Posts
Good job ... did you go for Galfer pads or OEM ...
I installed Galfer sintered pads and noticed a significant improvement in braking.

·
Super Moderator
10,345 Posts
Great post and definitely sticky-worthy!

Bit of a toss-up as to whether the best place for the post was in the Maintenance or DIY section, but decided to move the post to DIY as it keeps all the DIY stuff mostly in one place.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went with the BMW pads from dealer. I got a discount about $57
Next time I'll try the less expensive EBC I think.
The rear pads are organic.
I think the fronts have sintered.

Just came back from 104 mile ride today, breaks are good.
Although I could have possibly got some more mileage out of them, I was getting nervous about scoring the rotor.
I don't think they would have lasted 12K miles.

Oh, a shout out to suspension guru, Dave Moss.
he posted a great youtube video about how to clean the caliper.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts