BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm not a big user of the rear brake, like never. I've 40k miles on my honda fireblade and have never replaced the pads. Just give them some use a few days before MOT and all good.
I expect I will never have to replace the rear pads on the ninet regardless how long I keep it as it's unlikely to see the track.

·
Registered
238 Posts
One thing for sure is to check your rear brake liquid lv.
If your rear liquid lv is in the middle of of Max and Low lines when it is new, then you will see it drops below the low line lv when your rear brake is almost wear out.

The other thing is the brake noise.
One of our 9T friend wear out his rear brake pad around 8k km.
And he is a heavy rear brake user.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Cheers guys! So they called this morning and the front brake was an error on their part. It is actually fine, but the mechanic entered the wrong numbers on the form when completing the service, so plenty of pads there.

They are currently replacing the rear brake master cylinder, pads and disc as they have said the fault is caused by the rear brake master cylinder which has seized, causing the brakes to be permanently on a touch, as if I was riding the rear brake constantly. Luckily all under warranty. To be honest, as I've been doing only city riding in London recently (haven't been out of 1st gear in a couple of months) I simply hadn't noticed. Hopefully will be all fixed today, and will collect tomorrow.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Now I have a quick question cause I too ride on the rear brake cause i do find it to be Ok-fine to slow down with while in urban traffic, But I thought we had Passive brakes? Maybe I am saying it wrong but the kind that if you brake with the front the the rear brakes too? if you brake with rear then the rear alone brakes.

So if true then every time you use the front you use the rear too? and it is wearing out without you realizing you are using it?

Maybe I should ask if I am on the same planet as the rest of you guys, with this info?
Maybe I am completely wrong, I am so bad at keeping up with the Jones's and Technology.

time for me to finally look at the owers manuel

·
Premium Member
2,312 Posts
Now I have a quick question cause I too ride on the rear brake cause i do find it to be Ok-fine to slow down with while in urban traffic, But I thought we had Passive brakes? Maybe I am saying it wrong but the kind that if you brake with the front the the rear brakes too? if you brake with rear then the rear alone brakes.

So if true then every time you use the front you use the rear too? and it is wearing out without you realizing you are using it?

Maybe I should ask if I am on the same planet as the rest of you guys, with this info?
Maybe I am completely wrong, I am so bad at keeping up with the Jones's and Technology.

time for me to finally look at the owers manuel
Most BMWs have linked brakes, as you describe above. The R NineT does not. Front lever activates front brake, foot pedal the rear. But to your point, even with linked brakes, rear pad wear is typically pretty minimal. Both my previous R1200Rs went to 25k+ miles without a rear pad change.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Most BMWs have linked brakes, as you describe above. The R NineT does not. Front lever activates front brake, foot pedal the rear. But to your point, even with linked brakes, rear pad wear is typically pretty minimal. Both my previous R1200Rs went to 25k+ miles without a rear pad change.
Wow, I do say wow and thank you for update and I should of reveiwed
The reason why I didnt is because this is one of the most clear clear answers I did receive when i was given a little orientation about the bike just before I drove away from the dealer when I first bought it. That this was a Passive brake system and the front controls the rear.

Putting, all jokes asides, dealers, and salestaff should know this much at least.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Check your Rear brakes!
I just noticed mine are worn to nothingness at 5,000 miles?
Not surprised to see it is not just my bike.
I will call the dealer to see if he has warranty information.
I use 80-20 front to rear with braking.
Something is amiss and owners need to check their rear brakes before damaging the rear rotor or worse having zero rear braking.
Id think that warrants a safety recall.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ground down to bare metal on the rear pad nearest the piston and
the other pad had a few millimeters left.
Odd. Took the rear caliper off. opened a bag of worms because im unsure how to get the pin out to remove the pads or get it back together.
I have the manual on disk. Time to study.

Thanks rettek, I will do that.
Buying now.
Hope I am not nullifying any warranty chance by replacing the pads myself?
Rotors is marred but I would not make it to the dealer without further risk to rotors and self by riding w no brake. catch-22

·
Administrator
13,495 Posts
You have to sometimes use a centre punch and give the end of the pin a good whack with a hammer. Has happened before to me on the Le Mans (which uses brembo callipers) and just a bit of controlled aggression cured it! lol

I'm assuming the BMW caliper is the same.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Noticed the rear brake reservoir was overfilled.
Could that cause the rear brake pad to prematurely wear down to nothing in 4,888 miles?
Pulled some fluid out and new pads installed .
Now I need to learn to change my own tires for my worn out tires.
No Mar tire changer?

·
Registered
19 Posts
i'm curious to find out what other nineT owners are seeing with rear brake pad wear.

my nineT has just over 5k miles on it and i wore the brake pads down to the metal and ground the **** out of my rotor. (made for an expensive day today getting it replaced). i only noticed a grinding noise a week or two ago and didn't really consider that it might be pad wear since i was used to going at least 12k+ miles with the rear pads on my previous GS and K75.

i'm certain a big part of it is heavier-than-usual brake use during commute, from stop and go traffic to speed control while filtering through cars, but i had those same habits with the GS. the brake system checked out otherwise fine, so i'm left wondering how much of the wear is my riding style and how much is just the nature of the bike.

the techs gave me some ideas on how to change my riding habits to decrease the rate of wear in the future, but i'm curious if any of you have noticed a shorter life with your nineT's rear brake pads compared to other bikes...
I am having the same issue today. Took my bike in for the 6k servicing and found out that rear brake pads have worn out. They are suggesting me to change the rotor as well even though it is within spec - but, its a little worn out so it might the damage the new brake pads faster than normal. The rotor change itself costs around 470$ :eek:

Did you get it serviced at the BMW San Francisco dealership by any chance ? Did they cover it under warranty ??

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Did you get it serviced at the BMW San Francisco dealership by any chance ? Did they cover it under warranty ??
yep, that's where it was serviced. not covered under warranty because it was determined that it wasn't the result of faulty equpment.

(i suspect motogremlins)

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
I am having the same issue today. Took my bike in for the 6k servicing and found out that rear brake pads have worn out. They are suggesting me to change the rotor as well even though it is within spec - but, its a little worn out so it might the damage the new brake pads faster than normal. ??
Uh, don't really agree with that. Your new break pads will conform to the ' slightly worn wear pattern' on your rotor - but that won't damage them, merely change the wear, maybe accelerate it a bit. If they're still in spec >>> that's what it means: Within spec. To them its a money spinner ...
I've just done my 11.000km service yesterday, the rear brake pads still show around 3.8mm of pad thickness. I only use it at extremely slow speeds, to balance, or to pull my up safely when I went into a curve too hot and don't have the balls to push harder on the handlebar.
Front brakes have more wear of course, but then again I don't commute with the 9T.

·
Registered
442 Posts
The rear ABS seems to activate on my 9T even if I just THINK about applying the rear brake.
:)

Perhaps they are using very soft OEM pad material that grips extremely well which easily can lock the disc and, therefore, activates the ABS…and also wears vary rapidly.

Reactions: Bonkorama

·
Registered
12 Posts
You have to sometimes use a centre punch and give the end of the pin a good whack with a hammer. Has happened before to me on the Le Mans (which uses brembo callipers) and just a bit of controlled aggression cured it! lol

I'm assuming the BMW caliper is the same.
Hi,

Just replaced mine, minutes ago and it was a piece of cake. R nineT worn rear brakes at only 5000+ km?...hmm... something's wrong... Anyway, indeed, after you remove the clip, use a small hammer and a fine centre punch to ease it out. It may take a bit, but be careful and don't go Thor on it 'cause you might miss the target and "ouch"...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Question: What on earth is going on with the RnineT rear brake pads? Did BMW issued a bulletin about it for the 2014 models or is the kinda of a problem which usually is solved individually at the customer's demand? I don't trust the dealer so if you know something about it please let me know.

Ride safe

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just did my first service (6k miles or 10k kms) and the tech guy told me I will have to change my rear brake pads very soon (2-3k). I am using the bike to commute and so using quite often the rear brake. I was very surprised too but it seems to be normal based on the French 9T forum (survey gave 15k kms max to replace the rear pad).

iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 70 Posts