BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts

·
Registered
2,801 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
I didn’t even think about checking mine at a measly 9K miles and the dealer didn’t give me a heads up at the 6k service interval. Needless to say I heard a grinding noise when rolling the bike back n the garage. I ran my fingers across the rear rotor and it’s fried. Huge/deep striations.

Already placed an order for the Galfer HH sintered pads. There’s no way I’m replacing the rotor with OEM pricing (shame on you BMW!) with an over $300 price. I did find a TRW aftermarket version at less than 1/3 the price. Appears to be high quality.

TRW MST372 Motorcycle Brake Disc Fixed https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005AGBWYC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_GLlpBbWRB90DN

Can someone confirm that these will work? Any other quality aftermarket suggestions?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Already placed an order for the Galfer HH sintered pads. There’s no way I’m replacing the rotor with OEM pricing (shame on you BMW!) with an over $300 price. I did find a TRW aftermarket version at less than 1/3 the price. Appears to be high quality.
You can get the Galfer rear disc for the R9T for $125 - $140 USD if you look.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...fl_title_65?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A37XXUG3ZCSOX0

Really helps if we know which R9T you have and where you're located.

·
Registered
111 Posts
You can get the Galfer rear disc for the R9T for $125 - $140 USD if you look.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...fl_title_65?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A37XXUG3ZCSOX0

Really helps if we know which R9T you have and where you're located.

Good point! I have an original 2014 model and I’m located in Central Florida. I saw the Galfer rotors but want to stick with the OEM look if I can.

Thanks

·
Registered
BMW R9T.2014
25 Posts
I'm reading this with interest....
I have a 2014 9T I've owned for 6 years....I'm on my second rear disc and I never use the rear brake.....I ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs so never touch the lever, my GS is my main bike which will get ridden in all weather's...the 9T is the sunny day msickle, clearly there is some sort of connection front and rear you can do burnouts but the bike does not stoppy easily at all and tends to slide more when trying to which is an indication the rear is coming on......I put a brand new rear disc and pads on, went for a ride.....and could see on the piston side of the rear brake caliper the disc had been bedded in by the pad? I've asked my BMW dealer and they are sure but the pistons are activated in some way.....is that heavy braking I DONT KNOW....my mates 9T also has a warped rear disc and he doesn't use the rear....were both old and have been rising since kids and mechanically savy, so we're happy the rear is in sound order and working as it should......head scratching it is! But it does tend to catch you out with that rear pad and disappears at alarming rate when you take your eye of it!

·
Registered
831 Posts
"clearly there is some sort of connection front and rear"

Reviving an old controversy, does this bike have a linked braking system or not?
When I bought my bike, the sales person said that linked braking is a feature of the R9T.
On the forum, most think not.
Your braking experience (and conclusion) appears to indicate that there is linked braking.

Can someone confirm the truth of the matter?

·
Registered
341 Posts
I did a test on my 2015.
Pushed back the rear brake pads and then went for a ride.
Only used the front brake and when I got home the rear brake pads were still in the same retracted position.
So definitely no linked brakes.
Attention: if you also want to do this, you will have no rear brake before you press the brake pedal a few times!

·
Registered
2019 Urban GS
107 Posts
If you have tried to adjust the rear brake at any point in the past then you could have issues. The rear brake pedal is not adjustable, and if you try to adjust it using the screw on the master cylinder you may have set the master cylinder plunger beyond the blow-by passage, this will allow pressure to build in the system when it warms up.

·
Registered
BMW R9T.2014
25 Posts
No this a problem encountered by many not a one off...there's an answer but not along the lines of poor maintenance or riding along with your foot on the brake..
It's real and would appear many people have experienced it .......I've asked Motorrad via email but we'll see if they answer the question....I doubt it

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have had the issue with quickly disappearing first rear brake pads set too. 17.000 km while driving relatively gingerly ;-P I do use the rear to around the usually recommended 30%. But as I was flabberghasted why the rear pads would melt away so quickly. I removed the aftermarket brake pedal enlarger (while also dropping the pegs). Turns out I must have inadvertendly touched the brake pedal a lot with my size 12 boots. Not enough to make the brake light come one, but apparently sufficient to make the pads touch the disk and wear them off. Hasn't happend since....
The ergonomics on the R nineT have imho being comprised a fair bit in order to get the design right.
She is one of the smallest boxer bike in stature and the placement of controls and levers leave a lot to be desired for fair sized humans :) At 6'6" and 100 kg I could drive my TUrban ok, but for better comfort, control and riding position I had to adjust or change quite a few aspects. Heigth of seat and handlebars, position of the pegs, longer shifter lever to name but a few.
But now she suits me just fine and leaves the rear brake pads alone when they are not in use :)
greetz
B.

·
Registered
2021 R nine T
56 Posts
Just got my bike back from the 10000km service. I’d apparently burned through my rear brakes, which service found odd, as did I. They attributed it to me being heavy on rear brakes, which I firmly believe I am Not. I make a point of being firm on dynamic braking/equal braking with front brake. None the less their tests and evidence said otherwise. So I paid for rear bake replacement and fluid flush. All good, I can afford it. But their search revealed no recalls on those brakes, etc. I’d love to hear from other 2021 owners as you approach service, what is your wear on your rear brakes?

Fully willing to admitif I’m rear brake heavy, just reaaaalllly sure I’m aware of my braking habits.

Let me know!

·
Premium Member
2,463 Posts
Just got my bike back from the 10000km service. I’d apparently burned through my rear brakes, which service found odd, as did I. They attributed it to me being heavy on rear brakes, which I firmly believe I am Not. I make a point of being firm on dynamic braking/equal braking with front brake. None the less their tests and evidence said otherwise. So I paid for rear bake replacement and fluid flush. All good, I can afford it. But their search revealed no recalls on those brakes, etc. I’d love to hear from other 2021 owners as you approach service, what is your wear on your rear brakes?

Fully willing to admitif I’m rear brake heavy, just reaaaalllly sure I’m aware of my braking habits.

Let me know!
It’s not about just the 21s it’s about all 9T’s…. Your major breaking should always be done with the front wheel unless the road condition will not allow it. The brakes on the front are doubly robust for a reason, don’t think 50-50 is the way to go it should be more like 80-20 …even 90-10 front to rear. Here’s a good hint, although I’m not sure it applies to all the 9T series, the two shoes on the rear of a 2015 classic are of different thicknesses … thus one shoe will wear out before the other .. be careful when checking for wear to look closely at both shoes so you don’t burn up the disk….$$$$…. Read up on the dozens of threads here on the forum about brakes.. you’ll see. ……Blitz…… P.S. that search feature here is a VERY powerful tool on this sight … use it.

·
Registered
2021 R nine T
56 Posts
It’s not about just the 21s it’s about all 9T’s…. Your major breaking should always be done with the front wheel unless the road condition will not allow it. The brakes on the front are doubly robust for a reason, don’t think 50-50 is the way to go it should be more like 80-20 front to rear. Here’s a good hint, although I’m not sure it applies to all the 9T series, the two shoes on the rear of a 2015 classic are of different thicknesses … thus one shoe will wear out before the other .. be careful when checking for wear to look closely at both shoes so you don’t burn up the disk….$$$$…. Read up on the dozens of threads here on the forum about brakes.. you’ll see. ……Blitz…… P.S. that search feature here is a VERY powerful tool on this sight … use it.
That’s awesome feedback Blitz. I didn’t search before the post. But I’ll definitely read through. It just seemed way odd to me. But being a new R nine T rider, all of your lessons learned are incredibly valuable.

·
Premium Member
2,463 Posts
That’s awesome feedback Blitz. I didn’t search before the post. But I’ll definitely read through. It just seemed way odd to me. But being a new R nine T rider, all of your lessons learned are incredibly valuable.
Your machine is amazing and so so many good tip on this site … any questions, ANY, first thing to do is search with every key word you can think of… then if you need more post a thread … people here will rally to clue you in. Be well @mindst0rm ….. StayUpOn2 Kanada …….. Blitz

Reactions: mindst0rm

·
Registered
2021 BMW R NineT Scrambler
228 Posts
Hi Mindst0rm,

I got your note in my conversations area and found this post. So here is my two cents worth; it will be 12 months end of July since I brought the Bean home and I am just coming up on 15,000 miles, (24,140 km). The same week I turned 12,000 miles, (19,312 km) I rode across three states and in four days put on an additional 2200 miles, (3540km) mostly off-road and loaded heavy. When I got back I went in for my warranty service and Bean passed with flying colours, didn't need to adjust the valves, and other than the fact that I did a real good job of knocking lots of things loose we were good to go after some minor torquing up.

When Bean was in for her warranty service the shop checked my brake pad for wear, noting that I'm on my third set of tyres, (one set of Karoo's, and two sets of TKC70), and there is still plenty of meat left on my pads, HOWEVER, because I am very fastidious about taking care of Bean we noted the fluid in my rear reservoir was light brown not clear so we flushed it. This makes me wonder about your situation, why or how did your rear brakes fail so early?

I am going to assume/hope that it was the rear pads you had to replace and not the rotor? Is it possible that you are dragging the rear brake as you ride? This may happen and you are not aware of it, a lazy foot, thick shoes, two pairs of socks, etc... You may be putting just enough pressure on the pedal to wear the pads down and not realize it. Or is something out of adjustment, or off-spec. (not likely, however, check to see if the rear wheel turns unrestricted when unweighted). Are/were the pads OEM pads?

Off-road is when I use the rear brake most to control my turns in loose dirt, sand, or rough areas. Also if I am mixing it up with the kids on their road rockets I will use the rear to set up the suspension in the turns. I noted that I am on my third set of tyres, both front and rear because I wear them out almost equally and I think that may be because I brake as hard as I accelerate. Braking hard on the front, accelerating hard on the back. But that is just me and each of us has our own style and comfort zone for riding.

So where am I going with this, I am a very hard rider, a former road racer, and I still ride with some of the best, not brag fact. This means I have a fair bit of experience on a wide range of motorcycles and I find that within its limits my RNine is one of the best for a number of reasons. Having stated my credentials my take on rear braking tracks with our friend BlitzSchnell and that the rear brake is used lightly.

I'm not sure any of this helps you, however, now that you had the experience of rear brake pad replacement you might become more aware of how you are using your brakes as you ride and adjust accordingly.

As always, kind regards,
~Bean

·
Registered
772 Posts
FWIW, I had to replace my rear brake pads at about 6000 miles, too. The service department asked if I might be riding the rear brake lever, but I'm confident I wasn't.

However, I WAS prone to using the rear brake about 50/50 with the front brakes. As suggested by others, I have consciously switched to using the front brakes for the majority of braking.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts