BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,463 Posts
How big are your leg-paws? On my 2022 the rear brake feels uncomfortably close to the peg and entirely too easy to press unconsciously. Perhaps you were riding it without realizing?
Gentlemen, …If it’s acceptable ..and your physically able … ride your 9T like a jockey on a horse … after going through the gears and cruzing … put the ball of your foot or boot on the peg so nothing can touch the brake actuator until you put your foot fully back on the peg. No way can you accidentally ride the brake … I taught my self this posture many years ago by putting a “tell-tale” on the dash … an indicator light I could easily see that hooked to the brake light and came on every time I touched the brake peddle. Indeed I was resting my toes on the actuator and wearing out the brakes ………….. lesson learned.
The ratio of distributing the work of front and back brakes should be closer to 80/20 front to back … the back brake is an assist to the front Brembo system, it’s not 50/50 at all ….. look at the pads and disks … twice as many and actually bigger on the front …. 🤔 there’s a reason for this ………….Blitz

Reactions: mindst0rm

·
Registered
2021 BMW R NineT Scrambler
228 Posts
Gentlemen, …If it’s acceptable ..and your physically able … ride your 9T like a jockey on a horse … after going through the gears and cruzing … put the ball of your foot or boot on the peg so nothing can touch the brake actuator until you put your foot fully back on the peg. No way can you accidentally ride the brake … I taught my self this posture many years ago by putting a “tell-tale” on the dash … an indicator light I could easily see that hooked to the brake light and came on every time I touched the brake peddle. Indeed I was resting my toes on the actuator and wearing out the brakes ………….. lesson learned.
The ratio of distributing the work of front and back brakes should be closer to 80/20 front to back … the back brake is an assist to the front Brembo system, it’s not 50/50 at all ….. look at the pads and disks … twice as many and actually bigger on the front …. 🤔 there’s a reason for this ………….Blitz
Hey Blitz,

Ya know I hope you are as good-looking as you are smart...cause you really come up with some good ones. I had to comment because from my racing days I tend to keep my toes tucked way in, in fact, I still have to be careful of lazy foot- itus because I ground the toes of my favorite sneakers being lazy.

I actually am planning on putting a step as the GS/GSA has on it, whereas, you flip it down and it adds .5 inches to your brake lever and when you don't need it you flip it back up. When I off-road I am typically standing and that makes my foot angle change and hard to modulate my rear binder. I switched out my stock pegs for some nice wide ones that were much more comfortable on long rides/standing and they raised my peg maybe .25 inches up. Not enough to be uncomfortable but noticeable reaching for the rear brake.

Adding a LED indicator would be quite easy to graft in and once you get used to it, to take it back off. Genius my friend, good on you.

Respectfully submitted,
~Bean

Reactions: BlitzSchnell

·
Premium Member
2,463 Posts
@The Bean …Hey Bean, When I did “Adventure Riding” 40years ago, we called it “dirt-bikes” and my feet would fatigue pretty quickly so I took a thin piece of plastic (maybe 1/16”) stood bare foot on it, traced the outline of the ball of my foot, cut it out with a jig saw, put on thick Sox then heated the plastic in my oven till it was soft and formed it carefully around my foot. When it cooled I put it in the bottom of my sneakers (boots were to expensive) to disperse the pressure of standing on the pegs and it helped considerably … many ways to get to the same place … be creative. Thanks for the thanks Mate …. ……and YES .. I’m beautiful … in my own way … but aren’t we all? …..Ha hahaha …. 😝 ……Blitz

·
Registered
2021 BMW R NineT Scrambler
228 Posts
@The Bean …Hey Bean, When I did “Adventure Riding” 40years ago, we called it “dirt-bikes” and my feet would fatigue pretty quickly so I took a thin piece of plastic (maybe 1/16”) stood bare foot on it, traced the outline of the ball of my foot, cut it out with a jig saw, put on thick Sox then heated the plastic in my oven till it was soft and formed it carefully around my foot. When it cooled I put it in the bottom of my sneakers (boots were to expensive) to disperse the pressure of standing on the pegs and it helped considerably … many ways to get to the same place … be creative. Thanks for the thanks Mate …. ……and YES .. I’m beautiful … in my own way … but aren’t we all? …..Ha hahaha …. 😝 ……Blitz
40 years ago...🤯you must have started riding when you were a baby...

Reactions: BlitzSchnell

·
Premium Member
2,463 Posts
40 years ago...🤯you must have started riding when you were a baby...
First home built mini-bike at 13 … I’ll be 73 in August, born in 1949 and still break 100 mph every time I sit on Blitz… Every time… It’s my way to salute the Brits and the OldSchool Rockers … birth of Cafe’ 🫡 Those Boyz knew how to have fun … and the caffeine was just a part of it … They aimed to misbehave .. Pip-pip Gentlemen ! ….StayUpOn2 Bean …. Blitz

Reactions: The Bean

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yeah wow, I imagine you must either be dragging the brake or really using it to do a lot of braking. As I don't ride on gravel / off road I don't use my rear brake at all and so after 30,000km my rear brake pads and rotor are unchanged from 0 kms. Even my front brake pads didn't need changing until a couple of thousand kms ago and the bike has done a number of track days and the majority of riding in the twisties/hills and is nearly through its 4th set of tyres. Surprised the rear brake wore out that quick. As stated by Blitz and others the rear brake shouldn't be doing much - under heavy braking the rear can only contribute maybe 0-5% due to weight transfer to the front anyway, and ensure you always ride with your toes/balls of feet on the pegs - essential for ground clearance as well.

Cheers, Dom

·
Administrator
13,505 Posts
Read up on the dozens of threads here on the forum about brakes.. you’ll see. ……Blitz…… P.S. that search feature here is a VERY powerful tool on this sight … use it.
That’s awesome feedback Blitz. I didn’t search before the post. But I’ll definitely read through. It just seemed way odd to me. But being a new R nine T rider, all of your lessons learned are incredibly valuable.
Hi @mindst0rm as the forum's good friend @BlitzSchnell has mentioned this has been a common observation ever since the 9T came out and has been heavily discussed. I have merged your thread with one of the main threads talking about this issue. I hope you find it useful... :)

And as Blitz has said, with a well established forum such as this and with a bike that traces back to 2014, it's always a good idea to try the forum search tool as you might well find the question has been asked before and will give you instant help. :)

61 - 70 of 70 Posts