BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I have a very expensive and very exposed Ohlins rear shock on my R9T and want to protect it as much as possible from chipping, tar, and other undesirables. I've had conventional huggers in the past, mainly PUIG brand, but they are only so-so when it comes to protecting bike and rider from road muck, though probably OK at best at protecting the rear shock. See pic below of a PUIG unit on a previous R1200R Classic boxer twin.

Looking at E Bay there are various huggers on offer, ranging from the ridiculous in price - US$400 + (= AUD $600) - to cheaper unbranded versions at ~ AUD$148 (USD$99) , albeit looking identical. I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for, but has anyone here had experience of these more affordable unbranded huggers? I'd love to hear if so, and a link would be appreciated..

And/ or - is there an alternative item that will protect my Ohlins rear shock, maybe something along the functional lines of a front mudguard/ fender extender that's maybe less visually intrusive than a full hugger? Or even a DIY approach?

As always, TIA...

·
Super Moderator
2014 BMW R NineT (Classic)
10,625 Posts
The ever-improving search function brought up this info... :)

This is the main hugger thread on the forum and has a lot of info in it. And for an alternative to the hugger, see below:

And another alternative:

Can I suggest that you please give the search function a go (especially the advanced search function) as it really does seem to be coming on in leaps and bounds.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I found the Puig hugger in the "which Hugger" thread and looking through that for my bike at least that seemed the best option, The Ilmberger one is very nice but not suited to by Urban.
Looking at that pic i doubt anything will provide protection for riding at speed on a wet dirt road but does the Puig as fitted to your R1200R work otherwise?

If you're looking for protection from the rain hitting your back while riding i think the only option is the GS rear splash guard, which works quite well from all reports.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited by Moderator)
I do agree - having had more than one on other BMW bikes - that the full-on PUIG hugger may present a bit of over-kill on the otherwise minimalistic R9T. But I do want to protect that Ohlins shock, which gave me a shock of another kind when I saw the cost! The Mudsling may be well worth a look - which I'll give it shortly. I have in the past fitted other MachineArtMoto items (cyl-head guards) and the quality and installation instructions are second-to-none.

But there is a caveat on the web-page for the Mudsling that installing one to a 'Classic' may present an issue due to the rather buky remote reservoir, so before ordering I'll send a message and photo to MAMoto and ask for guidance. If OK, I'll definitely buy one! Thanks, all.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I do agree - having had more than one on other BMW bikes - that the full-on PUIG hugger may present a bit of over-kill on the otherwise minimalistic R9T. But I do want to protect that Ohlins shock, which gave me a shock of another kind when I saw the cost! The Mudsling may be well worth a look - which I'll give it shortly. I have in the past fitted other MachineArtMoto items (cyl-head guards) and the quality and installation instructions are second-to-none.

But there is a caveat on the web-page for the Mudsling that installing one to a 'Classic' may present an issue due to the rather buky remote reservoir, so before ordering I'll send a message and photo to MAMoto and ask for guidance. If OK, I'll definitely buy one! Thanks, all.

View attachment 129198
Hey Lawrence that shock is really pretty, and pretty expensive. Was it worth it, how ? Do you put your ride on the track or is it just your regular ride street to street ?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited by Moderator)
Hey Lawrence that shock is really pretty, and pretty expensive. Was it worth it, how ? Do you put your ride on the track or is it just your regular ride street to street ?

Pretty, and pretty expensive, sums it up neatly! It came with the bike, and the Model BM 440 rear shock absorber is priced here at about $AUD1449, plus fitting and tuning of course. I only hope it performs equally satisfactorily, but thus far in my less-than-a-month of ownership I've only had one very short ride, thanks to atrocious weather conditions, now exacerbated by flooding rains and - err - floods!

No track riding for me, just normal day-rides, and in the past many multi-day (or week) very lengthy interstate tours, although they are probably beyond me now. A touring bike the R9T ain't! But on my last bike (Yamaha Tracer 900GT) I had an expensive ~$21000 K-Tech upgrade of both front fork and rear shock, performed for me by a master suspension technician, and on a subsequent ~4500km/ 14 day trip over some pretty rugged Outback roads the improvement was outstanding - as I said at the time, magic-carpet stuff.

Given Ohlins' reputation I'm pretty sure that I'll see and feel the same improvements - I certainly hope so. Although that said, even on that short outing the overall suspension felt quite OK, and maybe at most only minor tweaking will be necessary, if that. :)

·
Registered
610 Posts
Pretty, and pretty expensive, sums it up neatly! It came with the bike, and the Model BM 440 rear shock absorber is priced here at about $AUD1449, plus fitting amd tuning of course. I only hope it performs equally satisfactorily, but thus far in my less-than-a-month of ownership I've only had one very short ride, thanks to atrocious weather conditions, now exacerbated by flooding rains and - err - floods!

No track riding for me, just normal day-rides, and in the past many multi-day (or week) very lengthy interstate tours, although they are probably beyond me now. A touring bike the R9T ain't! But on my last bike (Yamaha Tracer 900GT) I had an expensive ~$21000 K-Tech upgrade of both front fork and rear shock, performed for me by a master suspension technician, and on a subsequent ~4500km/ 14 day trip over some pretty rugged Outback roads the improvement was outstanding - as I said at the time, magic-carpet stuff.

Given Ohlins reputation I'm pretty sure that I'll see and feel the same improvements - I certainly hope so. Although that said, even on that short outing the overall suspension felt quite OK, and maybe at most only minor tweaking will be necessary, if that. :)
Wunderlisch sells them here in the states for just over a grand ($1,150.00) and I’m tempted but I need to test ride a 9T that’s outfitted with a BM 440 so I can feel the difference. Thats to much cash to lay down on the chance that the ride is THAT much better than stock....
I’ve long since given up my track days but I ride daily if it’s not raining so the difference in ride would have to be dramatic to make it worth it to me. I hope the weather lets up soon so you can get UpOn2 very soon. Cheers Blitz

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited by Moderator)
Wunderlisch sells them here in the states for just over a grand ($1,150.00) and I’m tempted but I need to test ride a 9T that’s outfitted with a BM 440 so I can feel the difference. Thats to much cash to lay down on the chance that the ride is THAT much better than stock....
I’ve long since given up my track days but I ride daily if it’s not raining so the difference in ride would have to be dramatic to make it worth it to me. I hope the weather lets up soon so you can get UpOn2 very soon. Cheers Blitz

Of course I won't be able to judge the difference - if any - between the Ohlins and stock, but I will certainly let you know how I feel about the road performance with the Ohlins set-up. If the Ohlins is a little rich for your blood, maybe there are alternatives out there that are more affordable. Strange to say, on all my many R series boxer twins - Roadsters and GSs - I never felt any need or desire to upgrade the suspension components, but maybe I was rather less 'picky' in those days! Stay tuned...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have just completed the installation of the PUIG rear hugger 7023J in matte black, made in Spain but shipped to me from <motostorm.it> in Italy, arriving only 15 days after ordering. To be honest, I’d have preferred the model with silver-painted support arms, if only to visually ‘lighten’ the rather somber all-black area around the rear wheel, but it seems that model is nowadays not available.

Fitting the hugger onto the R9T was not the easiest of tasks, as I had difficulty aligning the holes for the new front bolt. This important part of the job was a lot more straightforward on the two previous PUIG hugger installations I had done on my earlier R1200 Roadsters with centre-stands: my R9T sits on a rear paddock stand and was thus a little harder to manoeuvre.

Finally I used a small hydraulic jack to lift the bike up, and from there it flowed fairly easily. Happily, there is plenty of clearance between the lower leading edge of the hugger and the OHLINS spring in front of it, something I had to take bit of gamble on.

Running my fingers around the installed hugger there’s also plenty of room between the hugger edge and tyre, so no worries on that score unless an arm support breaks – which has been known.

This item will now give me excellent coverage and protection of the vulnerable painted OHLINS spring and adjacent anodized reservoir, which are very exposed and subject to a beating from road gravel and debris, which I’m keen to avoid. Recommended.

·
Registered
593 Posts
It was difficult because you did the install on the rear stand..... On the side stand you get the leverage from the jack you need to line the holes up easier.
Want to know how i know?

IMG_2623.jpeg

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was difficult because you did the install on the rear stand..... On the side stand you get the leverage from the jack you need to line the holes up easier.
Want to know how i know?
I know, I know - it's what I said! But thanks anyway! Off to Bribie Island this morning to check everything out - an almost exactly 200km round-trip on what should be a fine day.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
These folks make nice stuff. Had one of these on my GS, too.

I seriously considered this MUDSLING alternative, having had other MaMoto parts, notably their excellent cylinder-head guards, on previous Roadsters and GSs, but unfortunately they could not give me an assurance that it would be compatible with the rather large aftermarket OHLINS rear shock assembly. I didn't want to take a chance and then have to get into a hassle and/ or incur the return postage cost to get a refund of the fairly large outlay if it wouldn't fit. But the PUIG hugger does also provide a bit of extra protection above the tyre, and, IMHO, looks quite good too.

·
Premium Member
2019 BMW R9T Pure
50 Posts

View attachment 129198
I seriously considered this MUDSLING alternative, having had other MaMoto parts, notably their excellent cylinder-head guards, on previous Roadsters and GSs, but unfortunately they could not give me an assurance that it would be compatible with the rather large aftermarket OHLINS rear shock assembly. I didn't want to take a chance and then have to get into a hassle and/ or incur the return postage cost to get a refund of the fairly large outlay if it wouldn't fit. But the PUIG hugger does also provide a bit of extra protection above the tyre, and, IMHO, looks quite good too.
I have one for my Pure. I'll see how it goes. I'm also using their head covers. My new leftover 2019 was delivered yesterday. This morning there was a puddle of gas under the bike. It's going right back. Unsettling.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I removed the freshly-installed PUIG rear hugger after a decent 200km shake-down ride, and spray-painted the support arms silver, matching some of the adjacent parts of the bike. Of course, I’d have preferred to have bought the version with support arms finished in silver, as I have done in the past more than once, but that choice doesn’t seem to exist now with the R9T.

Masking-up was done carefully, as high-pressure paint-spray can easily enter the tiniest gap and I didn’t want a tiger-striped hugger. A final coat of clear gloss finished the job. The hugger is a rather poorly finished casting or moulding, and it took quite some elbow-grease to prepare it to get the finish I wanted, but eventually I achieved it.

The sole purpose of this is to visually lighten or lift the area around the rear of the bike, which like the NZ rugby team is All-Black, and unlike them rather sombre and dull-looking – I think it has done that.

And while the hugger was off I took the opportunity to secure a small rubber flap to its bottom leading-edge, just to extend the protection downwards a couple of inches and cover the lower spring suspension joint – job done!

left - as supplied, all-black

left - spray-painted silver...

... which matches nicely, if not perfectly, the adjacent silver trim pieces

·
Registered
443 Posts
That came out nicely.
Looks good.
I'm not into huggers myself , but if I did have one - I'd do it like that.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It would have been a great deal easier if the item came without the support arms already screwed into the hugger body so that they could very easily be painted without all the masking. This is how they came with the first two PUIG huggers that I bought some years ago for my then-R1200 R Classic and Roadster. Even easier if the thing came with silver support arms ex-factory as used to be the case! Progress I guess...

·
Registered
593 Posts
It would have been a great deal easier if the item came without the support arms already screwed into the hugger body so that they could very easily be painted without all the masking. This is how they came with the first two PUIG huggers that I bought some years ago for my then-R1200 R Classic and Roadster. Even easier if the thing came with silver support arms ex-factory as used to be the case! Progress I guess...
I disassembled mine for painting easily, it was only three allen head screws...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Now you tell me!

·
Registered
2017 R nineT Classic
313 Posts
You also could have ordered one of the huggers for the older pre-'13 R1200GS or R1200R which generally come with the "aluminum" color bracket. They fit our bikes becuase we have the same swingarm as those bikes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts