BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2018 Urban G/S
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the stock suspension on my 2018 Urban GS. I want to adjust the rear spring preload and damper, now that I have the two missing hook wrenches. But the instructions in the user manual don't make sense to me.

Step 1 was no problem, I loosened ring 1. As I want to reduce the spring preload, I skipped to step 2, but step 3 says to continue loosening ring 1. I would think that reducing preload would be the opposite of increasing it, so I should do the opposite of step 2. Furthermore, if I did what the book says, and then proceed to step 4, I will just undo what I did and still have the same preload that I started with.

I think that step 3 should read "To reduce the spring preload, turn adjustment ring 2 with the hook wrench in direction B". However, ring 2 is not budging at all. It resists enough to make me question my assumption. Am I right but just too gentle?

Font Camera Cameras & optics Machine Circle

· Premium Member
Itinerate Jackass
2,193 Posts
You will need to get ring#1 out of the way of ring#2 in order to back off your preload.
Two things that I do Ric is take the load off of the rear wheel by lifting under the oil pan and a wee bit of wd40 on the threads. That will also clean the grit out of them a bit.

· Registered
285 Posts
Obviously a typo in the instructions?

As @Baloo states get ring 1 well out the way, it's just a lockring.

Then turn ring 2 whatever way you want, anticlockwise to reduce preload, clockwise to increase.

Finally secure lockring 1 against ring 2

I did mine on the racer and it made quite a difference, prior to adjustment I was getting fired out the seat.

I adjusted mine on the paddock stand, so the weight was still on the shock without any issue

The shock is still basic but works better when it's allowed to compress some when you sit on the bike.

· Premium Member
Itinerate Jackass
2,193 Posts
It does look like the could have added a step about backing #2 in the B direction. Backing it off is the easier when loaded. It increasing preload can be done without taking the weight off but it could save a possible skinned knuckle and some swearing if you have the ability and time in your garage. 😉

· Registered
2018 Urban G/S
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again. I made a small adjustment, it seemed a bit better when I was crossing the national forest on poor condition dirt roads. But I think I need to reduce it just a bit more next time.

· Registered
2019 R nineT Scrambler: enhanced by Ohlins, Pirelli, SW-Motech, Unit Garage & 8-Racing
118 Posts
The owner's manual actually gives you a guide for setting the rear spring preload and rebound settings. This much better than dropping tyre psi. Spending 30min to setup you suspension really enhances your ride and handling on the bike.

· Registered
2017 BMW R nineT Racer S
40 Posts
Obviously a typo in the instructions?

As @Baloo states get ring 1 well out the way, it's just a lockring.

Then turn ring 2 whatever way you want, anticlockwise to reduce preload, clockwise to increase.

Finally secure lockring 1 against ring 2

I did mine on the racer and it made quite a difference, prior to adjustment I was getting fired out the seat.

I adjusted mine on the paddock stand, so the weight was still on the shock without any issue

The shock is still basic but works better when it's allowed to compress some when you sit on the bike.
I’m glad I’m not the only one to get fired out of the seat on my racer. When I bought it as a low mileage demo I assumed the rear shock would have been adjusted to standard but when I checked it there was no static sag. I backed it back to standard and then a little bit more as I’m probably a few pounds lighter than average. I’ve read complaints about the standard shock but I’m not a fast enough / good enough rider to be able to criticise it.

· Registered
285 Posts
I'm the same probably around 140-145 # or so in full gear.

To my shame (I'm a lazy so and so) I just backed the thing way off, perhaps later I'll do the static sag thang but even 5 minutes with a C spanner made a world of difference

I've got chicken strips bigger than you could ever get from the Colonel

· Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
1,331 Posts
Just saw this very educational video and thought it might be helpful:

· Premium Member
3,417 Posts
Just saw this very educational video and thought it might be helpful:
Wow, Norbi that was a good one …. Now if he’s just slow down just a bit and speak English I’d like it even better. ……………………… 😎👍🏻………………………..Blitz

Reactions: Norbi
1 - 16 of 16 Posts