BMW NineT Forum banner

Rear-wheel paddock stand for R9T

15K views 40 replies 11 participants last post by  Lawrence of Suburbia 
#1 ·
I'm accustomed to having a centre-stand on my bikes. Can anyone please suggest a rear-wheel paddock-stand (I think that's what they're called) that I can use in my garage to keep the bike safe and steady when I work on it? TIA all..

#3 ·
#7 ·
I see that UK vendor Nippy Norman's has these for GBP159, = AUD$303, plus shipping (which might be quite a lot as I imagine that the stand is not exactly a featherweight). It looks pretty neat...

#8 ·
Plenty of info on the forum, mate.

#9 ·
Yeah, there is, but it's almost all American or Europe based, we in Oz don't get those brands, and if they are available, like the Wunderlich one, it's more expensive than it's worth.

Anderson has been an aussie manufacturer for years and years, they recently went through an owner change and to be fair, he has struggled with the logistics of making it work but he's up and going and the quality is infinitely better than that Kaneg stuff that seems to be the only other option.......

#10 ·
Fair point @Cropduster, perhaps in that case if the OP wants just stands that are home-grown and easily available in Oz then should the thread title be changed to reflect this? Maybe there is a lesson for us all to learn - be specific about what question you ask or you might not get the appropriate help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Cropduster
#11 ·
Hi Bald David. Orl jew respeck, mate, but I think you are being a bit pedantic here. As the OP, of course I want a stand that's available in Oz - it's where I live and ride! Home-grown or imported doesn't matter, except as regards quality and, of course, shipping cost. Don't care if it comes in pink, blue, or green. And to make a point: sometimes, if not often, a broad-brush first-up question or enquiry and/ or Thread title will help to flush-out some directions for the enquiring member to take. I have never used a paddock-stand, so I'm quite new to the concept, hence the (as you see it) less-than-specific question. But I've had some useful answers, which helps greatly: I think the home-grown and competitively-priced Andersons stand will do. Orl jew respeck, mate!

#12 · (Edited)
I'll add my .02 on this from recent experience. When I recently purchased my '15 Classic the seller very generously included a Pit Bull rear stand. I probably would not have bought one myself because I had never used this sort of stand. I either had OEM centerstands or I also have an old school Craftsman motorcycle lift that is a nice into to get either or both ends off the ground by lifting from under the engne area. But I have been futzing around with things since the bike arrived and this PB stand is really nice. Super easy to use, stable, use handle forward or backward (forward avoids a tripping hazard) and allows a nice level bike to work on. EAsier than a center stand to get up and a nice low profile unit to store away. I really like it a lot.

#13 ·
I'll add my .02 on this from recent experience. When I recently purchased my '15 Classic the seller very generously included a Pit Bull rear stand. I probably would not have bought one myself because I had never used this sort of stand. I either had OEM centerstands or I also have an old school Craftsman motorcycle lift that is a nice into to get either or both ends off the ground by lifting from under the engne area. But I have been futzing around with things since the bike arrived and this PB stand is really nice. Super easy to use, stable, use handle forward or backward (forward avoids a tripping hazard) and allows a nice level bike to work on. EAsier than a center stand to get up and a nice low profile unit to store away. I really like it a lot.

Thank you for making my point....

As nice as PitBull stands are, i've never seen one but they always get good reviews, no one sells them in Australia, and it seems looking at other forums, people have tried to order from OS with no luck.
So for the OP it's not much help, though i'm sure it will be of use to those in North America.

With Anderson closing down there was a massive void in the market for a QUALITY product and while there are plenty of choices most are chinese and from what i saw it was all rubbish (although i am fussy, given that it's holding up a 20k bike.....) Anderson reopening under a new owner deserves support, the quality is excellent and his pricing is fair.

Reactions: nervous
#15 · (Edited)
Despite it being a Public Holiday throughout Oz today (the important Australia Day celebrations) I received a very quick, helpful, and detailed response from Andersons Stands. As a result, and after reading many very positive reviews, I have ordered a specific R9T stand with three (3) caster wheels, which allows the bike to be moved around in the garage as needed. At little extra cost this feature will also help getting the bike pointing outwards, ready to ride off, as probably like most I ride into the garage to park, then later have to manoeuvre the bike to be pointing out - always a fraught operation where I'm sure many bikes have been dropped!

In AUD cost is AUD$360, including the specific through-wheel shaft, plus AUD$38 postage which is not too bad for what is likely a fairly heavy item.

Pic below - the three-wheeled Model 6S Spacesaver stand, similar to what I have ordered (clearly not on an R9T, which requires the right-hand version).

Many thanks to cropduster for his heads-up on this product (post #4 above).

Reactions: Cropduster
#19 ·
Hi,
Could someone tell me what the diameter of the rear wheel hub is as I am looking to get a bike-lift europe stand but have to chose the right pin. I believe it is the 51mm pin but confirmation would be great ?
Thanks a lot (y)
53mm mate.

#17 ·
It will probably be too late for you,Silaxe, but when my new stand is delivered later this week (w/c Feb 3rd) I'll measure that shaft and advise here.

#24 ·
After receiving an e-mail yesterday from the manufacturer (Andersons Stands here in Oz) that my new rear-wheel unit is on its way, it occurred that I've never used one of these devices before, never even seen one in operation! I don't imagine that it requires a Master's Degree from MIT, but I'd like to know if there are any tricks of the trade here. Is it a one-person operation to insert the steel shaft into the rear wheel hub, or to remove it, or will I require a team of helpers? The R9T is fairly heavy and I don't want to drop it at my first attempt to get it up onto (and later off) the stand! :mad:

#25 · (Edited)
It should be a pretty easy one man operation. Place the stand support bar through the hub, and then, after carefully raising the bike to an upright position, push down on the stand.

You want both front wheels of the stand on the floor before you start pushing down, and that bit (raising the bike) is a bit unnerving at first. Just do everything nice and slowly and you’ll be fine.

#26 ·
I'd suggest having another person help you initially.
And putting a block or something under the sidestand to keep the bike slightly more vertical means there's less distance for the bike to move to get vertical. The more the bike has to move to get vertical - the more momentum it will have and the more it will want to keep going past vertical. This can happen.

#27 ·
There are many videos available showing how to use a paddock stand.
This one is pretty straight forward (although I looked at it without the sound on).

#28 ·
OK - thanks all - the vid was helpful. Clearly the bike needs to be as upright as possible when inserting the shaft so I think I'll have Mrs W on standby initially - if only with a stiff brandy! I'm sure that practice will make perfect.

#29 ·
nah! the beauty of the SSS design is the pin steadies the bike for you, unlike a std swingarm and stand where you have to stand the bike up then find the bobbins on both sides before lifting, which is a pain! these ones are so simple.

with the bike on the side stand you insert the stand all the way, then from the left at the rear you put your left hand on the back of the seat, lean on the stand with your right side and the bike will stand up on its own. your left hand on the seat will help steady it as it reaches upright, you do this slowly so the momentum doesn't force it over vertical, once both outer wheels of the stand are on the ground the bike is upright and you push down, lifting the rear wheel in the air.

Once you have done it once it's as easy as falling off a bike..... err...... well, you know, it's easy!
Have the missus there on the RHS as you do it slowly the first time just in case, you won't have any issues at all, these stands are super easy to use.

#30 ·
Thanks, Croppie! I'm sure I'll quickly get the knack - it's probably a bit like sex, I guess - practice makes perfect! ;)

#31 ·
Less than ten days after ordering it the rear-wheel stand arrived from Anderson Stands, who are about 1000km south of me. Sturdily packaged as if the contents were the Crown Jewels, it took but a few minutes to unwrap and put it to the test. What a superb piece of kit! The bright red powder-coating is flawless, and the caster wheels have little clamps in them to secure the stand on the ground with a bike on if desired. The shaft that goes through the middle of the rear wheel is made of (or covered with) heavy-duty rubber so as not to mark or damage the wheel hub.

It was no easy task to get the bike up onto the stand at first attempt, for I had the front casters facing the wrong way (one of these days I'll learn to read the instructions first!) but once that was fixed by rotating them correctly up she went with no more than a pretty hefty push down on the rear arm of the stand while Mrs Suburbia steadied the front with the handlebars, just as a precaution.. Bear in mind that I yearn to be a seven-stone weakling!

I gave the bike a trial push along the garage floor, and it moved effortlessly, but will also be very secure and steady while I'm working and farkling on the bike. Having it on its side-stand, propped-up on a chunk of wood, has been an exercise in nervousness as I walked around it - no more!

Very highly recommended.

#32 ·
I too am considering one of these stands. I see Cropduster you have the fixed wheel stand & you Lawrence have the 3 wheeled 360 degrees movable stand. Firstly, can you properly store the bike long term on these stands? (ie say over winter, noting the weight of the bike is then predominantly on the rear axle). Secondly, Lawrence how reliable/well constructed do you find the swivel wheels on your stand? (although I note you've only recently taken delivery). Something tells me they may be more likely to fail in time as opposed to the fixed wheels on Cropduster's stand. The price difference seems to be around $50. I'd appreciate your comments. Thanks.

#34 ·
These stands are engineered very, very well, compared to cheaper chinese stuff like lacorsa, kaneg etc they are bomb proof.
Mine lives on the rear stand when it's not out being ridden, i've used Anderson for over 30 years in one form or another and never had an issue with wheels, bearings, welds etc. Yes there has been a change of owner but he is definitely following on in the way the previous Anderson owner made the product.

#33 ·
As you rightly note, Hank, I've only had the Anderson stand for several weeks, so there's no long-term history for me to report. That said - they do seem to have an excellent reputation, for what that may be worth, and it's all they make and sell. I am already finding the ability and ease of moving the bike around as it's being stored away at this covid time invaluable, and it's much easier to shift the bike than if it was on a centre- or side-stand. The swivelling casters are nothing like the cheap general-purpose wheels one might buy in Bunnings, say, and the vertical hex-head pivot bolt is a very chunky one. The main structure of the stand and its reinforcing elements is of heavy-gauge steel, and all the welds all look pretty neat too. And a good, if not very good, feature is the ability to lock the two front casters by means of a simple push-down tab.

I have never before owned a bike without a centre-stand, and of course with the R9T the axle hole dictates the means of securing the stand to the bike. Thus far, with my brief experience, I'd honestly say that if I have any other bike in the future I'd also unhesitatingly want one of these stands. I hope this doesn't sound too gushing, but it's truly an excellent piece of kit, and if covid demands that the bike has to be stored on it over the winter - Dog forbid! - I'll have no worries whatsoever. If you live nearby (SE Q'ld) come and take a look.

Reactions: Douglas Muldoon
#35 ·
I'm grateful Lawrence & Cropduster for your prompt replies. Thanks too Lawrence for the excellent photos of the wheels on your lift and for the invite to inspect. Unfortunately I'm in Melbourne. I'm convinced, with your guys comments and noting Cropduster's long association with the brand, the stand is excellent quality. I was thinking further about my other concern regarding the weight being on the rear axle with the bike on the stand & suspect it's little different to the weight distribution when the bike is "free standing" (ie weight distributed across both wheels). I'll proceed and plan on ordering a stand similar to your's Lawrence. Again, thanks guys.

#36 · (Edited)
I'm sure that crop and myself would both be interested in your impressions after you've received the stand and used it a cuppla times, Hank! Pleased to help...

LATER EDIT: The stand comes with a few words about the correct alignment of the casters and brakes when either raising or lowering the bike. I kept forgetting which was which, so typed-up a necessary words in VERY large print and stuck them to the stand - one each side - near the lifting point. Could've been neater, but...but you've almost certainly got a better memory than I!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.