BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Cant afford an Air Compressor to power an Impact Pack driver for the removal of my rear wheel. But feel the bolts aren't budging by hand 馃おand I don't want to round off the wheel bolts:LOL:. Is there a battery powered Impact Driver that doesn't cost the earth but which would get the bolts loose? Has anyone had success using battery powered Impact Drivers on these bolts? If so which make/model driver? 馃

Registered
New zorst being fitted?

Registered
2018 R Nine T Racer
Cant afford an Air Compressor to power an Impact Pack driver for the removal of my rear wheel. But feel the bolts aren't budging by hand and I don't want to round off the wheel bolts:LOL:. Is there a battery powered Impact Driver that doesn't cost the earth but which would get the bolts loose? Has anyone had success using battery powered Impact Drivers on these bolts? If so which make/model driver? View attachment 134395
Are you using that ratchet I see in the floor ?
Use something with a longer lever.

And loosen the bolts slightly with the wheel on the ground and someone sitting on the bike.

That way you won鈥檛 have to lock the wheel in place.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Are you using that ratchet I see in the floor ?
Use something with a longer lever.

And loosen the bolts slightly with the wheel on the ground and someone sitting on the bike.

That way you won鈥檛 have to lock the wheel in place.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Thanks Ghost Rider!! 馃榾Yeah I am using the short rachet. I had bought a really long torque wrench but they sold me the wrong torx bits (they don't fit the wrench), will get those changed tomorrow and then follow your advice regarding having the wheel on the floor to crack the bolts. Thanks heaps Cheers 馃槂馃槂

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I was thinking that after I posted. Think I have a breaker bar (never used) in my socket set 馃榾. I'll give it a crack today. .....im crossing my fingers that I don't screw it up 馃槄...the excitement of doing your own bike maintance for the first time.......

Super Moderator
2017 Pure
Yeah I was thinking that after I posted. Think I have a breaker bar (never used) in my socket set 馃榾. I'll give it a crack today. .....im crossing my fingers that I don't screw it up 馃槄...the excitement of doing your own bike maintance for the first time.......
Take your time and you'll be fine. If you have any questions or any doubts, I'm sure someone on the forum will be happy to guide you.

Registered
I have to wonder how tight they are of you need a breaker bar or extension. They should be at 44 ft-lbs which isn't that much really. Should be easy to do by hand.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
I have to wonder how tight they are of you need a breaker bar or extension. They should be at 44 ft-lbs which isn't that much really. Should be easy to do by hand.
The manual says to tighten to 60Nm. So guess they cant be much tighter than that. Just need to double check when I give it a go to do Lefty-Loosy

Registered
I just removed my rear wheel this week and used a slightly longer ratchet. If the bolts were torqued to spec previously, that really should do it without a lot of drama.

Reactions: MattNZKiwi

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
I just removed my rear wheel this week and used a slightly longer ratchet. If the bolts were torqued to spec previously, that really should do it without a lot of drama.
Cheers, thanks for providing your experience. My breaker bar is a bit short, plan to get a longer one tomorrow 馃榾

Registered
I owned a couple of Ducati's in the past and believe me the single rear 46mm nuts on them were tight. I didn't have access to an air or electric impact wrench so made do with a 3ft breaker bar and a piece of scaffold pole to extend it before they cracked off - probably about 5ft of leverage in total. The nuts on our beemers shouldn't be anywhere near as tight. Try extending your existing wrench with a length of tube.

Registered
R-NINET Racer
In the past I used a big ring spanner (32-36) using it as leverage on the rachet, but be carefull not to break the rachet.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
I owned a couple of Ducati's in the past and believe me the single rear 46mm nuts on them were tight. I didn't have access to an air or electric impact wrench so made do with a 3ft breaker bar and a piece of scaffold pole to extend it before they cracked off - probably about 5ft of leverage in total. The nuts on our beemers shouldn't be anywhere near as tight. Try extending your existing wrench with a length of tube.
Holy moly! I'm picking up a longer breaker bar tonight. But noticed that there 45 torx has a little bit of play when inserted and turned in the wheel bolts. It feels and looks like I need a 47-48 torx (50 Is too big)...do they even come in 47 or 48 size???

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
In the past I used a big ring spanner (32-36) using it as leverage on the rachet, but be carefull not to break the rachet.
Will try a longer breaker bar in getting later tonight. Cross fingers馃槃

Registered
To remove the rear wheel it should be a 50 torx.
Is there maybe not dirt in there preventing it from going in?
With a 45 torx, there is a possibility of stripping.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts