BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 with Akropovics. As others have made clear, the dB killers on 2017+ are welded. I’ve read the posts which do present varied opinion on the value add of removal..... but that’s a separate debate.

That aside, has anyone attempted to cut welds/remove dB killers? I’d only consider it if it were reversible (ie they could be reinstalled) and appearance with caps in place is not compromised.

It may be too big a task, but just thought I’d ask.

Thanks.

·
Registered
596 Posts
The dB killers on a 2014-2016 MK1 version does not make much of a difference in being louder etc.

In fact I put the DB killer back on as if you remove the DB killers the air flow hits the tips covers of the cans and makes a tinny/vibration sound that you can hear ALL the time.

Better time and effort spend on getting catless headers.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Speaking of which are the akras pretty free flowing and all the restrictions are in the headers where the cat is? I saw akras also sell a downpipe to the mufflers. Some bikes have the cat in the mufflers itslef

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
12,706 Posts
Speaking of which are the akras pretty free flowing and all the restrictions are in the headers where the cat is? I saw akras also sell a downpipe to the mufflers. Some bikes have the cat in the mufflers itslef

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
The cat in the header system does a lot of the sound deadening. The silencers are fairly free-flowing.

·
Registered
442 Posts
FWIW, as far as performance "restricting," current mufflers/cats have virtually no bad effect on performance. If you want a louder exhaust, that's a different thing but louder is not "faster." There are plenty of Harley riders with straight (LOUD) pipes that are producing less power than the stock exhaust did... ;)

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
FWIW, as far as performance "restricting," current mufflers/cats have virtually no bad effect on performance.
Sorry Mike, but I have to respectfully disagree with that comment.

Fitting Akra decat headers to my nineT gave a big increase in performance....as has decat-ing exhausts on other bikes and cars I own, or have owned.

Infact, IMHO doing a decat is at the top of my list for being the best 'bolt-on' performance gain available (when made in conjunction with suitable AFR changes)......if it didn't, why would performance companies bother to develop, make and market de-cat exhausts?

Contrary to what others have said, I also found that removing the db killers (the clue is in the name) from the stock silencer (when I had it fitted) made a very noticeable difference to exhaust noise volume and tone......but as I expected, I was unable to notice any change to performance.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Prefer mine with the db killers in so I wouldnt bother. If your really wanting more noise then maybe cat removal would be better

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all so far. I agree probably doesn’t make a lot of sense but to the welding point , is it doable to cut the welds without compromising any options ? Just be interested in the difficulty of that option ....all other things aside.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
4,829 Posts
Is anyone able to answer the OP's question?
has anyone attempted to cut welds/remove dB killers?

@Mx125 has politely asked twice now, even to the point of discounting other arguments from this thread!
Let's help a new forum member. :wavetowel2:

Reactions: grubeda7

·
Registered
218 Posts
When I bought my Scrambler last year, my dealer mentioned the welded-in dB killers and offered to remove them for me before I took delivery, but I liked the way it sounded the way it was, so I declined. I have no idea if he'd ever actually done this for anyone else, but I have no doubt that he was capable of it. He's not the type to offer to do something that's not do-able.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting. My dealer suggested they were surprised when they opened to remove them for me. Said they would do some research on the extent of work and address in the spring. They weren’t initiall sure how deep and extensive the welds as they not yet made this alteration. Worst case, offered to replace with 2016 exhaust. If it’s a big and risky task, i’m inclined to just leave alone.

Also not sure if the older exhaust is compatible with canbus controlled flapper(?). I should research this last point on this forum, but if older exhaust is missing the cat (and can work with new canbus) perhaps that would be more beneficial.

Again....i’m not ignoring the fact that the 2017 dB killers are not a huge problem. Just exploring.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I can't confirm that the 2014- exhaust is the same dimensional, but the CAT is in the headers (not the silencer) and it has a flapper. If you want more sound though, deleting the flapper is the first thing to do.

·
Administrator
12,706 Posts
Is anyone able to answer the OP's question?

@Mx125 has politely asked twice now, even to the point of discounting other arguments from this thread!
Let's help a new forum member. :wavetowel2:
Fair point @Captain, I slipped up here and contributed to taking the thread off-topic. My bad, and I

apologise to the OP. I have moved the relevant posts to @grubeda7's other thread on this topic.

See below for the link:

http://www.ninetowners.com/forum/en...lace-valve-delete-pipe-baffle-mini-cat-2.html

I'll go and stand in the naughty corner now! :signlol:

Any member out there with experience of removing the welded-in DB Killers? Surely some brave soul has given it a go?

Reactions: Captain

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can I ask what you found ? Did you grind to a point that indicated removal would clearly destroy silencer?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just removed the DB killer on my Racer and posted about it on this forum. link: http://www.ninetowners.com/forum/en...28449-db-killer-removed-racer.html#post932681
Thanks very much for that. Good pics and seems daunting. I’m at 90% “leave it alone” mindset. Not to beat a dead horse, but wonder if my Akra version is much different. The racer can may have been built as one piece, where the Akra probably was built with removable inserts and subsequently welded post build.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks very much for that. Good pics and seems daunting. I’m at 90% “leave it alone” mindset. Not to beat a dead horse, but wonder if my Akra version is much different. The racer can may have been built as one piece, where the Akra probably was built with removable inserts and subsequently welded post build.
Euro 4 pipes are all welded in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Agreed.
My point was that the stock Bmw pipe / racer pipe is possibly built internally non removable from clean sheet of paper from outset ...where the akras are designed with a removable insert, which was then welded. I suspect that the cutting process would be different for each version. Your situation though does put me off going any further.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The Akras on my 2017 Scrambler have non-removable dB killers.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts