BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!

Just bought my RnineT with low level HP Akra supplied by dealership. I want to remove the baffle, but don't see any bolt/screw to do so. Anyone know if/how I can remove it? Just rivets all round the CF cone...

·
Registered
468 Posts
Just bought my RnineT with low level HP Akra supplied by dealership. I want to remove the baffle, but don't see any bolt/screw to do so. Anyone know if/how I can remove it? Just rivets all round the CF cone...
Is yours a 2017/2018? On the 2017+ models, the DB Killers/Baffles are welded in but can be carefully removed by drilling out the welds. I don't have any specific links to how this is done but I did see a video on youtube the other day.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is yours a 2017/2018? On the 2017+ models, the DB Killers/Baffles are welded in but can be carefully removed by drilling out the welds. I don't have any specific links to how this is done but I did see a video on youtube the other day.
Mine is the 2017 RnineT, not scrambler or urban or racer or pure. I had the single low level akro fitted by the dealership, not the standard twin [which i still have in the box, but never really liked the look of..] - I've attached a photo.

Im just wondering if i get inside the carbon by drilling out the rivets, will i then find a seam weld around the baffle?

Attachments

·
Registered
468 Posts
That I have no answer for, I wish I did. The only option I can see from here is to take a sawzall and just cut the end off... HA!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Im just wondering if i get inside the carbon by drilling out the rivets, will i then find a seam weld around the baffle?
I'm not sure if you'll get what you want. You do have a good chance of trashing an expensive Akra can. You might remove the can to see how your bike sounds without it. I'm not advocating leaving it off, just seeing how it sounds with it off. A very large portion of the stock systems' silencing is done by the catalytic convertor.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not sure if you'll get what you want. You do have a good chance of trashing an expensive Akra can. You might remove the can to see how your bike sounds without it. I'm not advocating leaving it off, just seeing how it sounds with it off. A very large portion of the stock systems' silencing is done by the catalytic convertor.
Acknowledged - I'm looking at swapping to the cat-less titanium Akro headers once I've saved enough cash, so I just wanted to make sure I've got a fully breathing pipe. Having had a closer look today it appears that Akro have just fitted a carbon cone with no access hole in order to meet euro regs, so I've ordered some stainless gas tight rivets. I'll update the thread with photos when I carry out the work, however I will fire up the bike when I've removed the Akro slip-on & have a listen as you suggest. Thanks for the input ;)

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Acknowledged - I'm looking at swapping to the cat-less titanium Akro headers once I've saved enough cash, so I just wanted to make sure I've got a fully breathing pipe.
I have Remus catless hdrs. Akra wasn't available at the time. With the OE twin can and the Remus headers the bike was ridiculous loud. I went with a can that I could put a "db killer" in.

·
Banned
660 Posts
I believe member @Cropduster has figured out how to remove the baffles on the EURO4 sport exhaust.

There is a little info here.

I Have, it's quite easy, if you look between the carbon fibre end cap and the exhaust outlet you can see the head of the bolt that locates the Db killer. All i did was tape up the carbon and measure using a vernier, then using a small drill bit as a pilot i confirmed my hole was bove the centre of the bolt head (which is an 8mm hex) and i then drilled it to suit the Akra grommet i bought.

Unbolted the Db killer, fitted the grommet into the hole just like the Euro3 and that's it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I Have, it's quite easy, if you look between the carbon fibre end cap and the exhaust outlet you can see the head of the bolt that locates the Db killer. All i did was tape up the carbon and measure using a vernier, then using a small drill bit as a pilot i confirmed my hole was bove the centre of the bolt head (which is an 8mm hex) and i then drilled it to suit the Akra grommet i bought.

Unbolted the Db killer, fitted the grommet into the hole just like the Euro3 and that's it.
Thanks for letting me know, however that sounds a little technical to me, so I will probably just leave it.

Thanks again all.

·
Registered
2016 R9T Sport
732 Posts
Thanks for letting me know, however that sounds a little technical to me, so I will probably just leave it.

Thanks again all.
What year is your bike? - this will tell us if you have fixed baffles or not.
Up to and including 2016 - EURO3 means the baffles are removable with just one bolt.
2017 onwards - Euro4 - fixed baffles.

Attachments

·
Banned
660 Posts
What year is your bike? - this will tell us if you have fixed baffles or not.
Up to and including 2016 - EURO3 means the baffles are removable with just one bolt.
2017 onwards - Euro4 - fixed baffles.
Euro4 is exactly the same with the exception of the access hole to get to the bolt, the Db killer is still removable the same way, you just have to drill an access hole.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Has anyone managed to remove the baffles from the twin OEM exhaust of the classic?

Mines a 2018 and each one is held in by 5 or 6 welds. Not sure if it's worth the work....

I'm assuming a dremel would be the best tool as it's pretty tight to get to them.

Cheers :)

·
Banned
660 Posts

They are NOT welded in, they are located with one bolt just like the Euro3 version, you can see it by shining a torch into the gap, i measured it and drilled my carbon end cap with a hole to access the bolt. once that was removed the Db Killer slides out, i ordered an Akro grommet to blank the hole just like they do.

Of course, i'm not responsible if they change their manufacturing process but take a torch and look for yourself, it's pretty easy to see the bolt.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Akrapovic Sport Muffler

Hi, I can see that there is two different part no for the Sport muffler.

77 11 8 541 802 (2014-2016)

77 11 8 564 693 (2017)

HP SPORTS MUFFLER

Am I right to say that the 77 11 8 541 802 (2014-2016) can remove the DB killer?

While 77 11 8 564 693 (2017) has the DB Killer rivet onto?

·
Banned
660 Posts
It's not riveted in, it's bolted in just like the earlier model, the only difference is the lack of the access hole and grommet in the carbon fibre end cap.

I know this because i have that 2017 one on mine and drilled an access hole to remove the Db killer.

·
Administrator
12,389 Posts
Has anyone managed to remove the baffles from the twin OEM exhaust of the classic?

Mines a 2018 and each one is held in by 5 or 6 welds. Not sure if it's worth the work....

I'm assuming a dremel would be the best tool as it's pretty tight to get to them.

They are NOT welded in, they are located with one bolt just like the Euro3 version, you can see it by shining a torch into the gap, i measured it and drilled my carbon end cap with a hole to access the bolt. once that was removed the Db Killer slides out, i ordered an Akro grommet to blank the hole just like they do.

Of course, i'm not responsible if they change their manufacturing process but take a torch and look for yourself, it's pretty easy to see the bolt.
@Cropduster, I think you might have misunderstood the make of Akrapovic exhaust @Fatfingers73 is talking about. It is the twin "shotgun" type stock silencer that comes as standard with the classic R nineT.

AFAIK the baffles on 2017+ bikes are spot-welded in and it's a bit of a palaver to remove them, but not impossible.

Willing to be corrected o this one if I've somehow got this wrong. 0:)

·
Banned
660 Posts
@Cropduster, I think you might have misunderstood the make of Akrapovic exhaust @Fatfingers73 is talking about. It is the twin "shotgun" type stock silencer that comes as standard with the classic R nineT.

AFAIK the baffles on 2017+ bikes are spot-welded in and it's a bit of a palaver to remove them, but not impossible.

Willing to be corrected o this one if I've somehow got this wrong. 0:)

Ok, sorry, i thought he meant the single pipe, that said though i don't think they would change the manufacturing process from a bolted Db killer to a welded one, why would they add an expensive step with one and not the other, all they did with the single muffler was omit to drill the access hole in the carbon fibre end cap.

Unless on the twin muffler the end cap is bolted on not riveted? making access easier than the riveted C/F single outlet? don't know.

On mine, Looking at the end with the insert in place i can see the welds but they attach the inner ring (or outlet) to the outer ring that sits very snugly against the real exhaust pipe outlet. I used a torch to look between the carbon end cap and the outer exhaust pipe to see the bolt in place.

This is the insert out of mine, i've done two of these the same way, the muffler shows roughly where the bolt hole can be found, hope it helps....

Attachments

Reactions: BaldyDave

·
Registered
41 Posts
Update:

I ended up taking my exhaust to a garage to remove the baffles. Even they couldn't remove them from the outside.

They had to drill out the rivets and remove the ends, then knock out the baffles from the inside and rivet the end caps back on :)

Sounds nice though!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts