BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Euro4 2017+ Akrapovic slip on Baffle removal

Hi has anyone done this on here? I was pretty disappointed with my Akra 'upgrade' which seems quieter that the original pipe! I read that you can drill through the carbon fibre end cap to reveal the baffle screw and take that sucker out. Has anyone done it? Little bit nervous in drilling a new can! The baffle does not really seem that big, will it even make a difference? Keen to hear others experience.
Thnaks!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I haven't as I bought the Euro 3 pipe instead. Essentially the same thing but has a rubber bung so you can access the removable baffle. You should be able to see the nut if you look down the right hand side (wheel side) of the muffler so you'll know where to drill.

BUT - I know someone on here has done it and posted a few photos.. I just did a quick search and couldn't find the thread, but it's definitely on here somewhere.

As for the difference it makes - not massive, but it's louder if that's what you're after..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks mate that's awesome!
Yeah just after a little more volume, I felt the pipe was a bit quieter than stock.....which sounded pretty nice in hindsight!
Thanks again...... drilling today!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Euro 4 Akra baffle removed today. Used a step drill bit. Worked a treat. Then covered up with a 1/2 inch blanking grommet from Bunnings!

Your baffle looks different to the one I pulled out of mine - that I've since put back because I got some Remus headers and now it's too loud! I'm actually looking for a way to baffle it a little more! Would you mind throwing up a photo of the baffle you removed? If it's more restrictive than mine, I might see if I can buy one off a Euro 4 pipe!

The Euro 3 one (photo below) reduced the diameter by aprox 10mm.

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Rainy day here in Vermont, so I removed the baffles from the OEM twin-can exhaust on my 2018 R Nine T Classic.

I used a Dremel 5-speed tool set on highest speed with a #426 fiberglass reinforced cutoff tool. It took two disks, since the first one was worn down by the time I was halfway done with the second can. It took me 20-25 minutes per can, working slowly and carefully so as not to nick the exposed surfaces of the muffler.

I did this with the muffler and rear wheel in place and the rear wheel up on a pit bull stand. I cut the welds with the tool held at about a 30 degree angle. one weld on each can was a bit tricky to access because the tire was in the way, but it works. When you are done, the baffles just pull out with fingers, no need to whack or pry them with a tool.

At first I tried not to grind the mounting lugs for the trim plates on the end, but it's impossible. You will hit them here and there, but they have a thick wall and they are hidden when the trim is back in place.

What does it sound like? No idea, I'll go ride it tomorrow and see. My flapper valve is off, but I have no intention of removing the cats: that's just not nice.

Anyway, there's another 130g gone, no money spent, and another blow struck for libertarian riding.

Best Regards, Tom

IMG_1925.JPG

·
Registered
174 Posts
IMG_1921.jpg

Reactions: RSDriver

·
Registered
174 Posts
IMG_1923.JPG

·
Registered
174 Posts
IMG_1924.JPG

·
Registered
174 Posts
Went for a long ride today on a gorgeous, sunny autumn day in New England. For my taste, it doesn't get much better than that.

The bike is loud. I didn't think the DB killers would make that much of a difference, but they do. We all have our preferences, but for me this is the very brink of "too loud." (Flapper valve removed, but cat remains.)

It rumbles very nicely at idle, and it put a smile on my face when I started it up, but in 15-20 minutes it was starting to get old. There's a booming, resonant drone from about 2500-3800 RPM, so it's hard to go through towns that are posted 30 MPH without being obnoxious. Even short-shifting doesn't really quiet it down. It D-R-O-N-E-S!

I have an R1200RT for longer rides, otherwise the baffles would be back in by now. I'm going to try another ride or two and see how it grows on me. One option I used on my old Ducati with Terminionis was to cut the DB killer down so it's just a smaller diameter muffler plug with no "tube." At that point, though, there is no going back...

Just offering one opinion. I know many of you like the bikes even louder, but I might have gone just a bit too far for my tastes.

Best, Tom

Reactions: Dauphinais

·
Banned
660 Posts
Went for a long ride today on a gorgeous, sunny autumn day in New England. For my taste, it doesn't get much better than that.

The bike is loud. I didn't think the DB killers would make that much of a difference, but they do. We all have our preferences, but for me this is the very brink of "too loud." (Flapper valve removed, but cat remains.)

It rumbles very nicely at idle, and it put a smile on my face when I started it up, but in 15-20 minutes it was starting to get old. There's a booming, resonant drone from about 2500-3800 RPM, so it's hard to go through towns that are posted 30 MPH without being obnoxious. Even short-shifting doesn't really quiet it down. It D-R-O-N-E-S!

I have an R1200RT for longer rides, otherwise the baffles would be back in by now. I'm going to try another ride or two and see how it grows on me. One option I used on my old Ducati with Terminionis was to cut the DB killer down so it's just a smaller diameter muffler plug with no "tube." At that point, though, there is no going back...

Just offering one opinion. I know many of you like the bikes even louder, but I might have gone just a bit too far for my tastes.

Best, Tom

Put the flapper back in, that will take the edge off it.

I think because the pipe is manufactured with the Db killers intended to be there permanently it's sound management is engineered with that in mind, whereas the HP stuff, while still having Db killers and even Euro4 where they're not supposed to be removable but still are would likely be engineered to sound best without them, mine certainly sounds sweet, no drone at all. Although it is a boxer, it does have a flat tone anyway...

Of course, we're all different and our ears have all had a serious workout from riding bikes anyway so what's nice to me could be awful to many others......

·
Registered
174 Posts
Baffles cut to the quick, in the interest of science...

Sorry gents, but I travel for a living and I’m away from home for a week. Dying to hear how it sounds though. This scheme worked well on my old 1100 Monster with Termis, but then 90 degree L-twins do not drone.

T

·
Registered
174 Posts
Took the bike out today with my modified "shorty" baffles in place. Sounds much better to me. Still close in volume to baffles-out, still some resonance at 3000 RPM, but the drone is just a little less edgy. Idle sounds excellent, deep and as rumbly as a bike with a 360 degree firing order is ever going to sound. I'm leaving it like this.

Reactions: BaldyDave

·
Registered
2017 R NineT Scrambler
63 Posts
This may be a dumb question, but once you grind the welds to remove the baffles, how do you reinstall them?

·
Registered
R Nine T 2019
10 Posts
Hi all, I hope there's still lots of eyeballs on this thread as I have a question.
When I first took a test ride on an R Nine T sport as it was called back in 2016, the exhaust note, crackle and pop was wonderful and made me want the bike ever since.

Fast forward to today and I am now the proud owner of a 2019 with the sports options added (single high-level Akropovic pipe and aluminium tank).

The only disappointment is that the crackle and pop has vanished!

I'm assuming this is due to the Euro 4 exhaust on my bike but my question is how to get that crackle and pop back. I don't want to make the bike louder necessarily and so don't think that removing the baffle is the right move. I'm also assuming that the bike I rode in 2016 (from a main dealer) had the baffle in place.

So, am I correct in thinking that the difference between the Euro 3 can and the Euro 4 can is the size of the baffle, would swapping mine for a previous generation baffle give me that sound?

Cheers

·
Registered
174 Posts
This may be a dumb question, but once you grind the welds to remove the baffles, how do you reinstall them?
The black trim ring retains the baffle. The welds are just to make it “tamper-proof.”

·
Registered
28 Posts
Has anyone drilled the cap off to remove baffle?
Very disappointed to see the latest versions don’t come with an access hole to remove the screw to release the baffle.
My question is, will the rivets fall into the exhaust once the heads are drilled off or do they just go through a lip flange?
Any help/ pics much appreciated.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts