BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
4,701 Posts
@The Swedish Chef we already have a Stickied thread at the top of the Exhausts section that discusses this very topic!
I have moved your post to this thread, so please have a read back through the above posts for some answers.
May I suggest trying the 'Search Community' bar at the top of the website to see what topics interest you? (y)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the R Nine T 'standard'. That's the one with the 2 into 1 into 2 Akrapovic exhaust, twin gauges, heated grips, fully adjustable USD forks etc.
Anyway, after doing a complete botch job trying to cut the DB killer welds with a Dremel, then all sorts of high-end drills, I found that drilling the baffles out with a 40 mm hole saw was a piece of cake!
I should post the photos of the pipe botched with the Dremel compared to the very neat job done with the hole saw. Really like the deeper note that is present throughout the rev range. I always loved riding the bike (I also have the BMW S1000 R), but now I love it even more!
Remember: hole saw 40 mm. hole saw 40 mm. hole saw 40 mm. Nuf said...

·
Registered
2020 BMW R Nine T Scrambler
11 Posts
@Cropduster, I think you might have misunderstood the make of Akrapovic exhaust @Fatfingers73 is talking about. It is the twin "shotgun" type stock silencer that comes as standard with the classic R nineT.

AFAIK the baffles on 2017+ bikes are spot-welded in and it's a bit of a palaver to remove them, but not impossible.

Willing to be corrected o this one if I've somehow got this wrong. 0:)
does removing baffle affect performance? I've also read there is potential for engine damage, is that inaccurate?

·
Administrator
12,545 Posts
does removing baffle affect performance? I've also read there is potential for engine damage, is that inaccurate?
I seriously doubt there would be any possibility of engine damage, plenty of members, me included, have ditched the stock silencers with a more free-flowing system with no issues whatsoever, some members have completely replaced the entire system with a performance system and not altered anything else and the bike is still working well.
Removing the baffles only resulted in a slight noise gain when I did it, no other significant differences.

I’m guessing the source of the engine damage remark is an officially BMW one, sounds like corporate-speak to me.

·
Premium Member
2020 BMW R9T Pure, Ali tank.
803 Posts
Hi,
Could someone with a 2020 Pure please post a picture of their exhaust can end.
Bought my bike used and thinking it sounds a bit loud on tickover/ throttle blip.
I thought my 2019 Pure had one screw to remove and then the dB killer would slip out.
No such thing on this later one.
Here is a picture of mine to compare.
Thanking you, Ken. 11A7FAC0-545B-449A-84E6-56EA4A859F70.jpeg

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
I have the R Nine T 'standard'. That's the one with the 2 into 1 into 2 Akrapovic exhaust, twin gauges, heated grips, fully adjustable USD forks etc.
Anyway, after doing a complete botch job trying to cut the DB killer welds with a Dremel, then all sorts of high-end drills, I found that drilling the baffles out with a 40 mm hole saw was a piece of cake!
I should post the photos of the pipe botched with the Dremel compared to the very neat job done with the hole saw. Really like the deeper note that is present throughout the rev range. I always loved riding the bike (I also have the BMW S1000 R), but now I love it even more!
Remember: hole saw 40 mm. hole saw 40 mm. hole saw 40 mm. Nuf said...
genius! will try this tomorrow.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts