BMW NineT Forum banner

181 - 200 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Totally agree about the 2-stroke comparison, when my son rode my R Nine he said this bike reminds him of his 350 Powervalve of a few years ago, he very much prefers my R Nine than my S1000R, more like a real bike.
Yea!! Yamaha RD350LC....now that's a bike that will humble many bigger bikes, in the old days and perhaps the current day :D *braappp braaap

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Errrr, I beg to differ Guys.

I won many many proddy races riding 350 powervalves, and I'd say they sound nowt like an R nineT.

Jus my opinion like, innit!!!

·
Administrator
12,302 Posts

I won many many proddy races riding 350 powervalves, and I'd say they sound nowt like an R nineT.

I'm in the Gambo camp! ;)

·
Registered
279 Posts
At high revs. At least that's what it sounds like through my helmet lol

·
Registered
428 Posts

Never said the R Nine sounded like a 350 just feels like one being basic and fairly flickable

Jus my opinion like, innit

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
My bad Kenko.....it was the quote in your post which made a sound comparison, it was that which prompted my confusion.

·
Registered
428 Posts
No probs Gambo.:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Removed the dB killers (baffles) and it's much better for me. Not a lot louder (which is good to stay more or less street legal) but definitively deaper.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I removed the baffle on the weekend and notice that the sound is a bit more metallic.
On further investigation I notice that the exhaust tip cover inside diameter is slightly smaller than the diameter of the packing tube / gauze.

So the exhaust pulse would be hitting the exhaust tip and vibrating the tips?

Has anyone machine the inner lip to match the packing tube diameter?

If I rev the bike without the exhaust tip cover the there is no metallic sound.

Maybe mount the cover in reverse to get a better flow, or like people say cut down the length of the DB killers.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Decided to put the DB killers back on as the plates was vibrating and it made the exhaust sound tinny and ghetto.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
I removed the baffle on the weekend and notice that the sound is a bit more metallic.
On further investigation I notice that the exhaust tip cover inside diameter is slightly smaller than the diameter of the packing tube / gauze.

So the exhaust pulse would be hitting the exhaust tip and vibrating the tips?

Has anyone machine the inner lip to match the packing tube diameter?

If I rev the bike without the exhaust tip cover the there is no metallic sound.

Maybe mount the cover in reverse to get a better flow, or like people say cut down the length of the DB killers.

What are your thoughts?[/

I cut the insides of mine off so they would not hit any part of the outer canisters. I wish I had taken some more photos of the process, but I was anxious to get everything riveted back in place to be on the road quickly.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I took it off last night

Took a ride today, some highway. While riding, I thought to myself, huh, bike sounds louder today. Weird. Its probably just me.

Then I remember I took out the baffles.

It really does get louder when accelerating at higher RPMs.

Worth trying for a few rides because it literally takes 7 minutes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Easyout is ok, you can also use midlock screw extractors
Bolt and screw extractors
I also have the easyout, you can still mess this up by not drilling in the center. When the screw is broken unevenly it's not always easy to drill dead center.
I regularly get bikes in from guys who have tried to remove broken screws and messed it up by not drilling in the center, even some with a broken off "left tap", now that's a real mess.... a left tap tends to "expand" the screw, securing it even more in the bore and than breaks.....
Midlock also has a "drill guiding" tool in the kit which will make it easier to drill in the center. the midblock extractor doesn't expand the the screw, thus making it easier to remove...
also you don't have to drill very deep using the midlock extractor.
I also suggest you remove the exhaust and mount it in a vise, much easier....
Good luck

181 - 200 of 229 Posts