BMW NineT Forum banner

201 - 220 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
trider2015

What kind of rivets did you use when you put it back together?

I think everyone uses different terminology here between baffles and db killers. Baffles are held in by rivets while db killers are held in by screws.....correct?

If so, then the db killers are easy to remove and re-install whereas the actual baffles seems to be a serious project?

Jim

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
I bought aluminum rivets at a local hardware store. My intent was to use stainless steel, but I had trouble finding that size rivet. I knew I would take them apart again someday and tune them a bit by getting the sound to bounce around a bit more before exiting the, now hollow, muffler cans.

DB killers are the small plate/tube that is screwed onto the plate at the end of the cans.

I had a great machine shop pull the fiberglass baffles out without scratching the acid dipped cans. It can be a real trick. My shop did it for $40! A super deal if you ask me.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
db Killers:

I bought aluminum rivets at a local hardware store. My intent was to use stainless steel, but I had trouble finding that size rivet. I knew I would take them apart again someday and tune them a bit by getting the sound to bounce around a bit more before exiting the, now hollow, muffler cans.

DB killers are the small plate/tube that is screwed onto the plate at the end of the cans.

I had a great machine shop pull the fiberglass baffles out without scratching the acid dipped cans. It can be a real trick. My shop did it for $40! A super deal if you ask me.

See pics for DB killers . . .

Attachments

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
R Nine T Baffles

See attached photos for Baffle Examples . . .

Attachments

·
Registered
492 Posts

What rivets do you mean?

When removing the baffles, you don't need additional hardware.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Exhaust Baffle removal

Dear Members,

I Have recently purchased a Nine T Sport. On handover the sales exec showed me the keys. One of them was slightly different, he said this was for taking the baffle out........ turns out it wasn’t , it was to remove the rear hump.

Anyway, as the sport has a high performance exhaust as standard, it looks like there is no way to remove the baffle, has anyone done or even tried this please?

Thanks

Charlie

·
Administrator
12,302 Posts
Now the Sport was a UK only dealer special, but as far as I know it was only produced using the first generation "Classic" R nineT 2014-2016. Willing to be corrected on this one! If I am correct then the Euro regs at the time - EURO3 - permitted a removable baffle so I'd be surprised if the baffle can't be removed.

Unless of course your bike is a later model or the silencer has been replaced with a later EURO4 one for some reason.... :confused2:

·
Registered
2016 R9T Sport
699 Posts
Dave's right about the Sport.
However, as a dealer special I've seen newer 2017+ bikes sold as a "Sport". I presume all the same upgrade parts were installed and a regular classic was made a sport.

My Sport is 2016 and had the baffles removed.

·
Registered
144 Posts
removed the stock akra baffles and the bike sounds amazing...it is the perfect engine note. anyone considering a replacement can for sound purposes only should take out the stock baffles. took me a few minutes to do.

word to the wise; do not use the seat removal key, rather use a ratchet. my seat key is now bent and out of round.

*EDIT - PLEASE NOTE BAFFLE REMOVAL IS ONLY EASILY POSSIBLE ON PRE 2017 MODELS - LATER BIKES HAVE BAFFLES WELDED INTO PLACE

Yes as i've recently noticed ?

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,302 Posts
@Tazbone someone managed to cut those welds out and the baffles came out after that. Cant remember where that post is though... :(

This is a really old thread and dates way back to the genesis of the R nineT. I'm going to have to read through the thread and see if the information is really only of use to the classic model, and if so I'll edit the thread title accordingly.

EDIT - I've actually split the thread into two so there are now two exhaust baffle removal threads - one for pre 2017 models and another for the later Euro4 bikes. Hopefully this will remove potential confusion and enable correct advice and information particular to the Euro generation and model of bike.

If you want to continue the discussion on removing those welds please feel free to do so on the newly set up thread for the later bikes. Here's the link:

Reactions: Tazbone

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I’ve a 2015 R9T with stock exhausts. I’m a long time rider, 45 years up on two. I’m obviously old school and this is my first computer setup and fuel injection bike. I’m points & plugs and a Venturi so I’m sure there’s much to learn about a modern machine that needs little maintenance. My question is this, under the bike with the exhaust system there is a valve or flapper, I’m assuming this is used by the computer to control back pressure and relates to tuning and performance, correct ? If this is so then the baffles in the last section of exhaust have little to do with the tune or back pressure setting.
Is that correct ? I ask because I want the bike louder but I want to retain the factory lines, it’s beautiful. Can I modify the exhaust system by removing those baffles and not have to adjust the current computer settings affecting the tune and performance. I live in a highly populated city and ride the highways with a lot of traffic. I want the pipes louder so they know I’m there. Any help and advice is appreciated. Thanks Duke

·
Administrator
12,302 Posts
@BlitzSchnell welcome to the forum, Duke! If you get a chance could I ask that you post an introduction in the New Members Introductions Section. We are a friendly little community and do like saying hello properly... :)

To answer your question, the exhaust flap valve isn't a performance part at all, not like the EXUP system that Yamaha used to use. The valve is purely for noise control purposes, though some people have said that they noticed a slight reduction in engine braking after they removed it. I can't say I did. The bike just became a little louder at low rpm. Removing the db killers (easily done on pre-2017 models) also will give you another slight noise boost. If you really want to up the racket, the main culprit for eating up the noise is the catalytic converter in the exhaust headers. Replace the headers an then you WILL be heard... ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
2014 RnineT with asthma breathes easy

my clone’s (identical twin) rninet got me started on this bmw journey of discovery. he has been loyal to this out of the box mechanical beauty. as a barrister (advocate lawyer), he knows nothing of mechanical things, but has a great understanding about how the voice works.

as the mechanical half of the shared brain, it was my duty to raise the volume of the beautifully engineered akrapovic exhausts over the annoying sound of the chain operated valve train.

sitting in my man shed (aircraft hangar) with an asahi bier in one hand and eyeballing his rninet, i discovered that the end caps of the akrapovics were removable. tickle my torx box of tips for the right insert and next minute i’m removing the end caps, making sure i’m not gunna drop a torx screw down inside the akras. remove the decibal buster tips and reinstall the end caps and torque the torx.

then go riding without earplugs. i’m still out there.........

pictures and letters to come

201 - 220 of 229 Posts